Animals/Pets thread

Convo with J Jnr....

JJ : " Dad, can we get a bunny rabbit, I like them"

Me :" You've got a puppy you don't play with so you want a rabbit too?! "

JJ : "But I'll play with both!"

Me : "You don't play with rabbits! Nonno (my Dad) had rabbits when I was little like you"

JJ : "Yeah??!! Did you play with them?"

Me :" No , we ate them "

:meep:

22 minutes ago, JackDoff said:

Me : "You don't play with rabbits! Nonno (my Dad) had rabbits when I was little like you"

Had a Korean friend who had a pet rabbit when we were in high school. When the rabbit died the family cooked it and ate it for dinner. Didn't think anything strange of it either.

7 minutes ago, Wanderboy said:

**** that.

Brown snakes are bad asses.

Yep, came across one of those on a bush walk a few years back not far from Glenbrook in the lower mountains, never seen a brown up above Wentworth Falls though, I know Marron is in Blackheath. Moody little bastards, gave it plenty of room and a wide circle, it watched me the whole way lol Ok with snakes, stood and watched a beautiful copperhead in the Snowies back at Easter time, but Brown's are a different story.......keep well away.....

Edited by WSWBoro
4 minutes ago, WSWBoro said:

Yep, came across one of those on a bush walk a few years back not far from Glenbrook in the lower mountains, never seen a brown up above Wentworth Falls though, I know Marron is in Blackheath. Moody little bastards, gave it plenty of room and a wide circle, it watched me the whole way lol Ok with snakes, stood and watched a beautiful copperhead in the Snowies back at Easter time, but Brown's are a different story.......keep well away.....

I have a place at Jindabyne. Well, not exactly IN Jindabyne, but not far from it.

Many moons ago, I was outside with the family having a BBQ.

All of a sudden, this huge brown snake starts heading towards us (me and the associated family). 

We all scatter and let it do it's thing.

It unfortunately heads for one of the weep holes in the house (those ventilation gaps between the bricks below floor level) and slides inside under the house.

I didn't sleep for a ******* week.

1 minute ago, Wanderboy said:

I have a place at Jindabyne. Well, not exactly IN Jindabyne, but not far from it.

Many moons ago, I was outside with the family having a BBQ.

All of a sudden, this huge brown snake starts heading towards us (me and the associated family). 

We all scatter and let it do it's thing.

It unfortunately heads for one of the weep holes in the house (those ventilation gaps between the bricks below floor level) and slides inside under the house.

I didn't sleep for a ******* week.

Yeah, that would worry me a bit, ok with snakes, seen plenty since I came here, but yeah knowing a brown is hiding out around your house somewhere would put the shits up me.....

Yeah I heard it moving inside an old tyre (all class my backyard don't worry about that.... It was like that when we got here.... along with a whole bunch of overgrown rusty guttering and bathroom tiles and rotting wood and concrete chunks and breeze blocks....) and then it slipped out into the long grass (er.. yeah,  i said I'll do the whipper snippering these holidays... it's still the holidays ) and then despite being out there most of the day digging out a vege patch i didn't see it again. 

Good excuse to train the kids up a bit.

You know what was cool was i had this fairy wren going mental all morning before I saw it. I reckon it was telling everyone.

And you're right boro it's been that dry and now it's mating season. They're clearing a block near us. Just cruising I'd say. 

1 hour ago, marron said:

Yeah I heard it moving inside an old tyre (all class my backyard don't worry about that.... It was like that when we got here.... along with a whole bunch of overgrown rusty guttering and bathroom tiles and rotting wood and concrete chunks and breeze blocks....) and then it slipped out into the long grass (er.. yeah,  i said I'll do the whipper snippering these holidays... it's still the holidays ) and then despite being out there most of the day digging out a vege patch i didn't see it again. 

Good excuse to train the kids up a bit.

You know what was cool was i had this fairy wren going mental all morning before I saw it. I reckon it was telling everyone.

And you're right boro it's been that dry and now it's mating season. They're clearing a block near us. Just cruising I'd say. 

Yeah, my Father in law had a property near Dungog when I first moved here (up in the Hunter) and there were loads of snakes around there. You always knew there was a snake around as the birds do go mental, one good sign for sure.

Sounds like your back yard is a snakes dream :D

Edited by WSWBoro
7 hours ago, JackDoff said:

Convo with J Jnr....

:angry::(:angry::(

That's child abuse Jack!! 

Not to mention bunny abuse!  :nono:

What was Jack's reaction??

7 hours ago, JackDoff said:

Convo with J Jnr....

My Grandfather used to drive his car straight at rabbits or pheasants, he got really excited if he hit one and would pull over and do a little jig....if the bird wasn't already dead he would whack it's head on the roof of the car....that was Sunday lunch for him. If one was already dead on the road he would pull over and investigate with a stick....'waste not want not' he would say.  

Surprising I don't have more issues really isn't it........

Speaking of different times......

When we were kids our next door neighbour used to have hens which he would routinely cull for the dinner table. You never thought about it when you were little it was just the way it was. If people had headless chooks hanging from the clothesline getting plucked today the rspca would most likely get called. As Boro said different times.

• 1 month later...
On 4/10/2017 at 10:45 PM, sonar said:

Speaking of different times......

When we were kids our next door neighbour used to have hens which he would routinely cull for the dinner table. You never thought about it when you were little it was just the way it was. If people had headless chooks hanging from the clothesline getting plucked today the rspca would most likely get called. As Boro said different times.

Bloke next door would do the same...I think at Christmas.

Poor creatures would run around the yard headless for a minute or so.

Awful! 

I have no idea. They have two gigantic dogs, I think one is a Great Dane and the other a German Shepard, every time I walk out the front door, if they are in the front yard of the neighbour they bark and I'm certain one day someone is going to get attacked by them if their owner isn't watching as their fence is knee high.