Animals/Pets thread

People who think of cats as being unaffectionate are delusional.

We have a cat, Tommy (for Tom Cat obviously) who is adorable in trying to get my attention - especially if I am on the computer.

He is a whopper - a giant!! A 10-11 kilo tabby.

He sits in front of the computer screen - effectively blocking the whole screen, and ever so gently...without claws, just softly taps me twice on the cheek. Very patiently, over and over if I don't respond. Adorable!!

Unfortunately, his sister Indie - short for Indiana Jones  (yes - his sister  :lol::lol: - because she is so bold and adventurous- unlike her gigantic bro) does it differently. She dabs at my face with claws out...just a little!  Not so adorable! :lol:

And another - Troggie - will just repeatedly headbutt (forehead to forehead) and purr like crazy, to get attention - obviously when he's at head height when you're sitting or lying down.

All so individual - but affectionate...on their own terms. And that's fair enough.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
11 hours ago, wendybr said:

These creatures should not be eaten as hamburgers!

Big Pac - no way!

11 hours ago, wendybr said:

Llamas are a bit less adorable :lol: ....but "No!" to Llama burgers also.

If you keep crossing animals off the prospective food list I'll have to resort to cannibalism!

• 3 weeks later...

More ducklings have arrived!

All 3 of the girls have (or had) nests. A fox got in and hurt one of them (but for some reason didn't actually kill her; maybe the yap yap dog did something?). She didn't make it, so we took her eggs and put them in the other 2 nests, hoping they'd hatch around the same time.

Last week (during that rain 'event'), one of the nests hatched 15 of the eggs. This mumma rejected 2 of them. They were in a bad way. Normally the babies can walk a day or so after hatching. These 2 could hardly hold their heads up.1 has died, but the other is fighting on. We have her separated from the others (mumma attacks her a bit) and she's being hand fed for the time being. The kids thought she was lonely, so they got her a stuffed toy (a lama), which she loves.

I was starting to think the other nest wasn't live, until last night, when at least 2 of the eggs had started to hatch (or rather, I saw part of 2 ducklings sticking out from under this mumma). That's all I could see, as this mumma (who had the first batch a few months ago) was sitting on most of the eggs and not letting me see much. I did hear the 'tapping' of the eggs (called pipping), so I hope there's more ducklings there when I get home this arvo.

With the first batch a few months ago, puppa duck didn't really know what to do. He hung around, but kept his distance.Typical first time dad I called it. 'Now what the **** do I do?'. (I actually think mumma decided he was a dead **** and gave him the arse, but anyhow). This time round though, he's taking more of a active / protective role. He eats with them, swims with them, and when it's night time, mumma and puppa are both in the pen, ready to be locked in for the night. Mumma sitting on the babies, puppa sitting in front, guarding them.

With the second nest hatching, it will be interesting to see how this little community evolves.