Neverbloom

Animals/Pets thread

6 hours ago, Erimus said:

Thanks Jess. That tank looks awesome!

Also just to avoid confusion...not going for salt water fish. The guidelines stated that you should include a pinch of some fancy salt ( not normal table salt) in the water for all fish as aparently they need this.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=fish+tanks+for+beginners

On ‎10‎/‎09‎/‎2019 at 7:59 PM, CaptainJess said:

I could quite happily watch my fish tank for hours. It’s very therapeutic. It’s also interesting to see the different groups and personalities that form. Fish have little quirks that you pick up on as the community develops. 

For instance, we have a little tetra we named Steve. He has survived an ick outbreak, algae bloom and the rest of his school dying off. He’s quite a survivor. 

He’s been alone in the tank for about a month or so. We felt so bad for him but we needed to do a full replenish of the water and a thorough clean before we got any more fish. Now we’ve got it all sorted, we got more tetras the other day as I mentioned above. 

As soon as we floated the new tetras in their bag, Steve was up and trying to get to them. When we released them, he instantly started schooling with them and he immediately perked up. I swear to god, he was leading them around the tank like he was showing them the lay of the land. It was so cute and he has looked so much healthier and happier. 

Having an aquarium is a lot more work than you think, but it’s definitely a discussion piece with every guest in our house and it’s awesome to see it everytime you come home. 

I agree with those who have presented the upside of having fish. They are lovely to sit and watch...but they are quite a bit of work, and a responsibility People who dont see it that way shouldnt have pets....and fish become pets, and their lives and wellbeing depend on their owners.

Jess mentioned a Silver Dollar. They are great fish. They have their own personalities...well in the bigger fish you can clearly see that with all of them. Bold and timid, aggressive and placid etc.

We had one Silver Dollar which jumped at its own shadow, and, sadly, leapt out of the tank when part of the lid was off...and died. 

The other grew to about half the size of my palm...and cruised the tank for years, without bothering any of the other fish of various sizes.

I've argued about whether fish have feelings waayyyy back on the Politics forum  with a well known adversary. I used the example of an Angel fish who I SWEAR tried to support/prop up it's dying mate/sibling for days.

For days, as one kept flopping over on its side, the other stayed by it, and tried to nudge it upright/ prop it up.

It was heartbreaking..... but illustrated to me that animals can show empathy.

Even lower order creatures have feelings.

Anyway...let us know how you and the lad go with it, Smoggy.

😊😊

I'm getting a pet yabbie off Mrs Bones for my upcoming birthday, can't wait. I had a huuuge one before he was a champ.

You want entertainment put a few of them in a tank together.

3 hours ago, Bones said:

I'm getting a pet yabbie off Mrs Bones for my upcoming birthday, can't wait. I had a huuuge one before he was a champ.

You want entertainment put a few of them in a tank together.

Details?

What do they do Bonesy... to be so entertaining?

Are they hard to keep?

11 minutes ago, wendybr said:

Details?

Are they hard to keep?

Fight and try to eat each other.. I had a tank with about 5 in it....they all had one claw from fighting......:D

Probably not one Wendy will like, but the best/worst of nature. Check out the eyes reflecting off the camera.

1 hour ago, sonar said:

Fight and try to eat each other.. I had a tank with about 5 in it....they all had one claw from fighting......:D

Eeeek! :unsure:

3 minutes ago, Carns said:

Probably not one Wendy will like, but the best/worst of nature. Check out the eyes reflecting off the camera.

I'll pass on this one.

9 hours ago, wendybr said:

Details?

Are they hard to keep?

Sonar pretty much nailed it. Constantly trying to beat the crap outta each other. They are relentless and the smaller ones cop the worst of it. But when the battles aren't so vicious a Benny Hill soundtrack wouldn't be out of place.

Keep them well fed and they settle down but they're breeding abilities could put a rabbit to shame.

They're easy to keep no special treatment needed.

Edited by Bones

You're only getting one though?

5 hours ago, wendybr said:

It's going to fight with itself and then rip one of its own claws off. All good.

Edited by Wanderboy

1 hour ago, Wanderboy said:

It's going to fight with itself and then rip one of its own claws off. All good.

I guess it could have a mirror...like birds do.

It could fight with its reflection!

No harm done! :xnod:

22 minutes ago, wendybr said:

I guess it could have a mirror...like birds do.

It could fight with its reflection!

No harm done! :xnod:

Great idea but absolutely no fun. :)

38 minutes ago, Wanderboy said:

Great idea but absolutely no fun. :)

C'mon...

It would be funny...and no poor creature would be having its limbs ripped off for human entertainment in the process! :P

Yes...I know. :xnod:

You're not someone who'd be entertained by watching animals ripping limbs off each other. :)

5 hours ago, wendybr said:

C'mon...

It would be funny...and no poor creature would be having its limbs ripped off for human entertainment in the process! :P

I have the feeling that yabbies have no idea that they are free entertainment.....and are just doing what they do in the wild anyway.....:P

I got rid of them.. ( ate them actually ) when they got big and started to go after the fish......lol

21 minutes ago, sonar said:

I got rid of them.. ( ate them actually ) 

:sad:

:sad: You....ate....your pets? 

10 minutes ago, wendybr said:

:D

I never classified the yabbies as pets. Bred for food. Cooked in garlic butter....yum....

When they got to big they started to go for the fish....the fish were pets....I didn't eat them. :D

15 hours ago, wendybr said:

Yes just one, once they're big enough and used to you it's possible to pick them up and handle them. They can live outta water for short periods with no harm done.

My last one was over 10 years old and woulda made a good feed, he was huuuge.

I'll get a few guppies and a sucker fish so he/she isn't lonely, they're fast enough for the yabbie not to worry them.

5 minutes ago, Bones said:

Yes just one, once they're big enough and used to you it's possible to pick them up and handle them. They can live outta water for short periods with no harm done.

My last one was over 10 years old and woulda made a good feed, he was huuuge.

I'll get a few guppies and a sucker fish so he/she isn't lonely, they're fast enough for the yabbie not to worry them.

And you will.give her a nice burial at the end of her long and happy life....rather than consume her!

I'm sure. :D

1 minute ago, wendybr said:

And you will.give her a nice burial at the end of her long and happy life....rather than consume her!

I'm sure. :D

I will, honestly I was devastated when my last one passed. He was my homeboy. But he had a good run.

On 14/09/2019 at 8:39 PM, wendybr said:

He’s a member of PETA....

People eating their animals!  :meep:

On 18/09/2019 at 4:38 PM, JackDoff said:

He’s a member of PETA....

People eating their animals!  :meep:

-_-

As long as he's not having some sort of seizure...thats very cute!!

:D:D