Animals/Pets thread

I'm about to experience something new.

I haven't had a pet/animal to look after since childhood (which equates to never).

I've mentioned elsewhere about a recent family loss, the funeral is in Mudgee on Friday.  So, on Thursday, my son and his family are going there for a few days.

They have a young Chihuahua that needs looking after while they are away.  While we would have gone to Mudgee ourselves, we have been asked to look after Rosie for a few days. 

We'll have to change a few things.  To start with, Rosie isn't up to completing our daily walk.

I'm looking forward to it all.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Today is one of those days that we all hope won't happen, but know is eventually inevitable.

The ex had to take our family puppy to the vet today to have her put down. It was the right thing to do as she was suffering in pain and struggling to breathe. Lymphoma was the major problem, but also her rear legs were giving away and she was struggling to eat. Surprisingly, she still had what you would call a smile on her face in her last days.

Young Wanderboy was so incredibly attached to her. He has always had such an amazing love of animals. All animals in general but particularly our pup. They were so close.

I was so proud of him. He held her paw and stroked her until her last breath. He sat through the minute of convulsions that she went through while the injection did it's job.  :( 

Of course, he shed tears, but he had the strength to stay with her.

It's the worst thing about having pets. Having to do this sort of ****.

:( :( :( :( 

16 minutes ago, Wanderboy said:

Today is one of those days that we all hope won't happen, but know is eventually inevitable.

The ex had to take our family puppy to the vet today to have her put down. It was the right thing to do as she was suffering in pain and struggling to breathe. Lymphoma was the major problem, but also her rear legs were giving away and she was struggling to eat. Surprisingly, she still had what you would call a smile on her face in her last days.

Young Wanderboy was so incredibly attached to her. He has always had such an amazing love of animals. All animals in general but particularly our pup. They were so close.

I was so proud of him. He held her paw and stroked her until her last breath. He sat through the minute of convulsions that she went through while the injection did it's job.  :( 

Oh how incredibly sad. I’m so sorry. You son was very brave to sit through it too 

4 minutes ago, wendybr said:

We had something similar 3 months ago, having to put down our favourite, most loved 16 year old cat.

Yes...it's the desperately sad down side of having additional furry family members, isn't it.

All the best to Jnr WB, as he adjusts to life without his little friend.

:grouphug:

Kind words Wendy. Thank you.

38 minutes ago, Wanderboy said:

Sorry to hear that Wanderboy. Went through same with my dog who had cancer in his face / mouth.

Its very hard.

Edited by Smoggy
14 minutes ago, Smoggy said:

Sorry to hear that Wanderboy. Went through same with my dog who had cancer in his face / mouth.

Its very hard.

Thank you mate. Yes it is awful. It's been a tough day, and I know exactly what you would have gone through as well.

It's tough having to make the decision for the pet, but it's even tougher knowing what Jnr went through, and his emotions considering he was so attached to her. This was his first time dealing with this type of thing. He didn't want to agree with it this morning, after mum had made the decision. Yet, he went through with it. It was so tough for him, but he was there with her till the end. I'm tearing up just typing this. :(

31 minutes ago, Wanderboy said:

Thank you mate. Yes it is awful. It's been a tough day, and I know exactly what you would have gone through as well.

It's tough having to make the decision for the pet, but it's even tougher knowing what Jnr went through, and his emotions considering he was so attached to her. This was his first time dealing with this type of thing. He didn't want to agree with it this morning, after mum had made the decision. Yet, he went through with it. It was so tough for him, but he was there with her till the end. I'm tearing up just typing this. :(

:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

1 hour ago, Wanderboy said:

12 hours ago, Wanderboy said: