Germany Thread

A sh*t hot german backpacker girl i met at Byron years ago was from Bielefeld so it is Armenia Bielefeld for me... i think they are 3rd tier now but i still look at their results every now and then... if she was ugly id have never known that club existed!

Good on him, i love it when Aussies do good overseas, especially in a league as big as the bundesliga.

Great news re Robbie Kruse...and always happy when I hear of an Aussie making his way into the Bundesliga instead of a lesser club in the EPL. I know that the English clubs are where the money is and the culture is perhaps more appropriate for someone coming from downunder, but if we had more guys like Kruse (and Langerack and Rukavytsya) continuing to develop there then they are following in some good footsteps (including of course our captain Michael Beauchamp). Same goes for the Eredivise, La Liga and Serie-A.

Good on him, i love it when Aussies do good overseas, especially in a league as big as the bundesliga.

Great news re Robbie Kruse...and always happy when I hear of an Aussie making his way into the Bundesliga instead of a lesser club in the EPL. I know that the English clubs are where the money is and the culture is perhaps more appropriate for someone coming from downunder, but if we had more guys like Kruse (and Langerack and Rukavytsya) continuing to develop there then they are following in some good footsteps (including of course our captain Michael Beauchamp). Same goes for the Eredivise, La Liga and Serie-A.

Wholeheartedly agree about using the continent as a better avenue for a football career. Funnily enough, the only country where I would have concerns with in the big leagues is the La Liga, unless you are at a top club - its very hard for football players due to the economic strife that some of the clubs are in - to an extent that even when players such as Michu is sold, the player will buy shares in the club to help keep it afloat (great gesture by the way). I'm a big fan of the Bundesliga/Eredivisie route to be honest (could be me being byist). I just think those two leagues are great for development of technical ability, speed and strength on the ball especially now with the Bundesliga reaching heights it now should deserve due to the amount of fans, the competitiveness, the quality, the players in the league and the overall success of the clubs in Europe now justifying its spotlight.

By the way - Langerak made an appearance for Dortmund this morning in a 3-2 win over Leverkusen (another massive game for him). I think with players now being more open minded about European football, they are willing to take chances in Holland or Germany over the Championship or even lesser clubs in the Premier League.

Wholeheartedly agree about using the continent as a better avenue for a football career. Funnily enough, the only country where I would have concerns with in the big leagues is the La Liga, unless you are at a top club - its very hard for football players due to the economic strife that some of the clubs are in - to an extent that even when players such as Michu is sold, the player will buy shares in the club to help keep it afloat (great gesture by the way). I'm a big fan of the Bundesliga/Eredivisie route to be honest (could be me being byist). I just think those two leagues are great for development of technical ability, speed and strength on the ball especially now with the Bundesliga reaching heights it now should deserve due to the amount of fans, the competitiveness, the quality, the players in the league and the overall success of the clubs in Europe now justifying its spotlight.

By the way - Langerak made an appearance for Dortmund this morning in a 3-2 win over Leverkusen (another massive game for him). I think with players now being more open minded about European football, they are willing to take chances in Holland or Germany over the Championship or even lesser clubs in the Premier League.

Glad to hear about Langerak...Ruka's been having a hard time getting game time for Mainz so it'll be interesting to see how he shapes up on Thursday morning if he gets a run with the Socceroos.

As for the Dutch/German route it seems a no brainer for many of our younger guns considering how many solid Socceroo players got better (or at least weren't stultified) thanks to exposure there...Holman is the best recent example, whilst the likes of Zelic, Agostino, Culina, Arnold, Kennedy, Thompson, Beauchamp, Vidosic, Emerton, Vidmar and Schwarzer have all been exposed to these two leagues and that's a pretty handy bunch of ex or current Aussie internationals.

Finally it'd be interesting to see how many younger Aussie players are looking at someone like Polenz or Hersi and considering the talent levels in their respective national leagues back home. Hopefully it's not a deterrent but an incentive.

Yes, but also no. There's Bavarian, and then there's Bavarian.

And that corner and goal were a poor joke. To begin with, it wasn't even a corner (that ref should be reported to Europol, I reckon), and then the abysmal defending. What the hell was Neuer thinking? Or the rest of them for that matter?

1-3? Disappointing. Should have been 0-5. The yellow cards weren't a help either.

Yes, but also no. There's Bavarian, and then there's Bavarian.

And that corner and goal were a poor joke. To begin with, it wasn't even a corner (that ref should be reported to Europol, I reckon), and then the abysmal defending. What the hell was Neuer thinking? Or the rest of them for that matter?

1-3? Disappointing. Should have been 0-5. The yellow cards weren't a help either.

Agreed...

And as for Podolski...I bet he still prefers a Kolsch over a Lowenbrau ;-)

Dude, even I prefer a Kölsch over a Löwenbräu. That ****'s the Fosters of Bavaria. Ain't nobody got time for that cat's piss (except your mates at 1859).

Now, if we were talking Paulaner or Erdinger. :D

But yes, agreed re Podolski and his Platt tendencies...

Dude, even I prefer a Kölsch over a Löwenbräu. That ****'s the Fosters of Bavaria. Ain't nobody got time for that cat's piss (except your mates at 1859).

Now, if we were talking Paulaner or Erdinger. :D

But yes, agreed re Podolski and his Platt tendencies...

Actually give me a good worker's beer from the Ruhr anyday contrasted to poncey Bavarian fluff that is usually drunk by backpacking American's who usually think Miller Lite is heavy piss...

Or even better how bout several shots of schnapps or Freisengeist (hmmm, there's an idea for a flask filler at the Perth game lol)

"poncey Bavarian fluff"???? Then's fighting words, What's more, your apocryphal backpacking Americans wouldn't know one end of the Augustinerkeller from the other, du Saupreiß. :P

Here, have a Hacker-Pschorr and be quiet.

I haven't had schnapps in ages (well, ok, in half a year, when I was given a bottle of kirschwasser that didn't last nearly as long as I would have liked...).

"poncey Bavarian fluff"???? Then's fighting words, What's more, your apocryphal backpacking Americans wouldn't know one end of the Augustinerkeller from the other, du Saupreiß. :P

Here, have a Hacker-Pschorr and be quiet.

I haven't had schnapps in ages (well, ok, in half a year, when I was given a bottle of kirschwasser that didn't last nearly as long as I would have liked...).

Okay...perhaps I was ein bisschen broad in my use of the phrase 'poncey Bavarian fluff'...let's just say that whatever is brewed in the Vaterland makes anything else look vaguely cat's uriney (except maybe some of those Belgian lambics and a meaty Pommy ale/Irish stout).

If you're going to be at the Perth game I'll bring with me something from the fine artisans of Berentzen perhaps to share over a Dino goal :-)

I'll be up for Perth, without a doubt (but not the Nix - stupid engagement party to go to).

The question is - will you ever see Dino score? And if Dino scores, and you aren't there to see it (again), did he really score? ;)

I'll be up for Perth, without a doubt (but not the Nix - stupid engagement party to go to).

The question is - will you ever see Dino score? And if Dino scores, and you aren't there to see it (again), did he really score? ;)

Having seen Dino score against Adelaide Taipai I think we can confirm that part of reality does exist, but you raise an intriguing Zen point kamerad. It's like if Dino falls in the box and there is an oppo player nearby, but the ref doesn't hear the trip, does it constitute a trip and therefore a penalty...

tumblr_lfvkxjsk911qam5qx.gif

So select your poison...apple, potato, plum, butterscotch, schoko-kirsch orplain kirschwasser

Edited by ManfredSchaefer

Anything that isn't too sweet. I ******* hate the sweet lollie-water ones. 

Wait! This is clearly a trick! What are the chances of Dino scoring? There will be no schnapps! It's all an elaborate fraud - a plot to make me sit in the stands!

Wait! This is clearly a trick! What are the chances of Dino scoring? There will be no schnapps! It's all an elaborate fraud - a plot to make me sit in the stands!

Okay...how bout some Potato Schnapps at the ready if Mark Bridge misses a shot on goal (a far likelier chance for sure lol).

And agree about the sweeter ones. Sauer Apfel is the best of the fruit ones but it's still a little like lollie water. At least with Kartoffelschnapps there is a healthy 40%

$%28KGrHqMOKnQE4TG9ws7TBONOn1i!J!~~0_35.

See you in Bay 65 Genosse!

Okay...how bout some Potato Schnapps at the ready if Mark Bridge misses a shot on goal (a far likelier chance for sure lol).

And agree about the sweeter ones. Sauer Apfel is the best of the fruit ones but it's still a little like lollie water. At least with Kartoffelschnapps there is a healthy 40%

$%28KGrHqMOKnQE4TG9ws7TBONOn1i!J!~~0_35.

See you in Bay 65 Genosse!

An image that stirs my Bavarian peasant heart (and bowels, but let's not go there...).

• 1 month later...

Hamburg's best player was their goal-keeper - without him, we could have sunk twice as many.  :D

Bring on dirty Juve! 

To be honest, though, the two goals we conceded were from lazy defending and goal-keeping, and show we still have the exact same weakness in defence that we had against Arsenal and Neverkusen. If Juve have half a brain, they'll be trying to win corners...  :nono:

Does anyone here support a team? If so what team?

FC Nuremburg. I've been to a few of their games and I'm spewing that I am going there again just after season's end. Looks like I'll just have to settle for sticker bombing.

For the sake of anyone interested that hasn't been to Germany FC Nuremburg and FC Schalke 04 (said by Germans as shall-ki, not shalka) fans have an alliance. There are even scarves made that are half one team half the other. Pretty much anyone supporting either team likes to know the other's results, for the positive not negative. Pretty sure we'll never see a half red half blue scarf here

Edited by TheDarkCrystal

For the sake of anyone interested that hasn't been to Germany FC Nuremburg and FC Schalke 04 (said by Germans as shall-ki, not shalka) fans have an alliance. 

Unprincipled combinationism at its worst.  :P

My family has always had a soft spot for Nürnburg - despite being Bayern fans through and through - but aligning with Schalke! Pfui Daife!!  :nono: