Germany Thread

I wish arsenal would go in for veratti i remember calling him out early season as exactly what I need does the job of the 5 men the gunners have in midfield all with some limitations 

but its all irrelevant now because arsenal is finished if Sanchez goes Bayern which is looking increasingly likely - although i suspect the fee may be lower, arsenal as always show lack of common sense by allowing players to run contracts down to 12 months. 

I hope Sanchez gets this next big move he will be a Bayern legend he deserves better than rotting away for a team with no ambition 

• 2 weeks later...

1860, the biggest basket case in German football. Lost their elimination game and are now a 3rd division club - in front of a midweek 62k home crowd. 

No doubt the will continue doing what they always seem to do: argue at club level, and talk about the Bundesliga. 

Tragic!

11 minutes ago, FCB said:

1860, the biggest basket case lin German football. Lost their elimination game and are now a 3rd division club - in front of a midweek 62k home crowd. 

No doubt the will comtinue doing what they always seem to do: argue at club level, and talk about the Bundesliga. 

Tragic!

Ivica Olic played his last ever game there, retired after that at 37.

A Croatian and Bundesliga legend.

Edited by Stokz

Very sad farewell for Olic.

Apparently the 1860 crowd did a pretty good impersonation of The Cove, and dismantled seats in large numbers. Regensburg's goal keeper had to remove more plastic seats from his penalty box then make saves.

Meanwhile in Mannheim, the 4th to 3rd division promotion game was followed by a 25k crowd. Those spectator figures in the lower leagues in Germany can be quite spectacular.

Looks like 1860 will skip BL3 and disappear into fourth or fifth tier instead. A major financial injection is required, and the Jordanian investor may not be willing to prop them up any longer.

Very sad. There was a time when 1860 was the people's club which was bigger than Bayern. 

And the investor is not paying. It is the worst possible outcome for 1860: it is possible that they are ending up in 5th tier, but might be stuck with an investor no one wants. A fresh start seems impossible.

That's what happens when you bend over for petro dollars.

13 hours ago, GunnerWanderer said:

I always thought Germany had a rule foreign investors can't exceed 49% ownership or is this only top tier 

Apparently the Rule is you can't have more than 50% of the vote, so even though he owns more than 50% the club has 50% +1 vote 

• 3 weeks later...

Reports: Chinese U20 team set to play in Germany's fourth tier

According to media reports, a Chinese U20 could play in one of Germany's regional fourth-tier leagues next season. The plans follow a deal aimed at enhancing cooperation between Germany and China in football.

Deutschland | Chinas Bildungsminister Hao Ping, DFB-Präsident Reinhard Grindel, Chinas Vize-Premierministerin Liu Yangdong und Kanzleramtsminister Peter Altmeier (picture-alliance/AP Photo/M. Sohn)

China's under-20 national team could play in Germany's fourth tier next season, according to plans set to be announced by the German football association (DFB).

The fourth tier of the German football pyramid is split into five regional divisions and, with the south-western division, the Regionalliga Südwest, having only 19 teams, there a proposal has emerged to round the league off with an extra side - from China.

"[The clubs] have reacted very positively to the idea," Ronny Zimmermann, vice-president of the DFB and chairman of the Regionalliga Südwest board of partners, told German football magazine "Kicker."

The plan follows an agreement signed in 2016 between the German FA and the Chinese government to help boost the sport in the Asian country, where the Bundesliga enjoys growing popularity. Chinese football expects to benefit from German expertise in coaching and development in return for Chinese investment in German football.

FC Bayern München in China (picture alliance/ZUMA Press)

A Chinese fan shows her colors during Bayern Munich's 2015 tour - Bundesliga sides are popular in China

"An outstanding idea"

"The planned cooperation with China is well known but that needs to be translated into actions as well," continued Zimmermann. "We'll have to see if anything comes of the idea. A decision will have to have been made by the time the league managers meet, since that's when the fixture list will be confirmed."

As with every regular opponent, each German club in the south-western division would face the Chinese selection twice during the season, although the results of these games would not count in the league standings. Since the Chinese team would have no "home" ground, the German clubs would host them twice and receive a total fee of around 15,000 euros ($16,700) from the Chinese FA. For the young Chinese team, the matches would serve as preparation for the 2020 Olympics which are due to be held in Tokyo.

"It's an outstanding idea. We look forward to the two home games and we'll be sure to roll out the carpet for China's Olympic XI," Stuttgarter Kickers commercial director Marc-Nicolai Pfeifer told the mass-circulation daily "Bild." 

Kickers Offenbach CEO Christopher Fiori said he envisaged "great marketing opportunities from a match against a Chinese team."

Consistent with Chinese policy

While the news may appear unusual, the plans are consistent with China's more general approach.

"Ahead of the 2012 London Olympics, the British handball team played in the Danish sixth tier to gain experience," Simon Chadwick, Professor of Sports Enterprise the University of Salford, explained to DW. "Ahead of the 2022 Winter Olympics (in Beijing), the Chinese women's ice hockey team is playing in Canada. So am I surprised at this announcement? No, I'm not. This sort of move is not unprecedented. In fact it's entirely in keeping with the way the Chinese plan their sporting development."

According to Professor Chadwick, China considers Germany a particularly attractive partner. 

"The German way of doing business is much more conducive to development of Chinese football," he told DW. "The Germans take a much more bilateral view. They believe that if you're going to work successfully, you need to contribute something tangible, which is very similar to the way the Chinese operate. Now, when it comes to securing other commercial or industrial deals with China even outside football, Germany is well-placed.

"With this agreement, the Germans are seen as showing regard for Chinese national development, and this ties in with the more general pro-German sentiment in China."

Criticism from fans

While the plans have been welcomed by commercial directors, fans of German football are less enthused, taking to social media to express their displeasure at what they consider yet another step in the perceived over-commercialization of the sport.  

German fans need to fight this Chinese intervention in their competitions as hard as we have fought B-Teams in ours. @AgainstLeague3

Bild: China's U-20 team are set to participate in the Regionalliga Südwest. Unbelievable.

But this sort of development may be something fans will have to get used to. 

"I think this could be a longer-term proposition," says Professor Chadwick. "China's football development plan states that it wants to be a leading football nation by 2050. When you compare that aim to the current state of Chinese football, it has a long way to go. It still needs assistance, so I can certainly see this developing."

Allegations of corruption

Links between China and German football are already on the rise. Bayern Munich and Borussia Dortmund already organize off-season tours of the Far East to capitalize on the booming football market, while, according to media reports, Cologne striker scorer Anthony Modeste is set to follow in the footsteps of a number of big European names by completing an estimated 35-million-euro transfer to Chinese Super League side Tianjin Quanjian. Earlier this month, former Bayern Leverkusen coach Roger Schmidt took over at Beijing Guoan.

Fußball 1. Bundesliga 1 FC Köln Werder Bremen (picture-alliance/dpa/R. Vennenbernd)

Cologne's Anthony Modeste: China bound?

But a recent investigation by German magazine "Spiegel" uncovered evidence suggesting Chinese betting circles could be involved in match-fixing in European football, and Professor Chadwick confirms this is an issue which the Chinese government is keen to clamp down on. 

"The Chinese government is investigating allegations of betting irregularities and is concerned that some investors are using football investments as a front for corrupt activity. If assets are held offshore, it's difficult for the Chinese government to do anything about it. President Xi Jinping has made combatting corruption a key pillar of his leadership.

According to "Bild," the involvement of the Chinese XI in the south-western regional league could be officially announced during President Xi's visit to Berlin on July 5.

• 3 weeks later...

How do yo think he'll fit, FCB?

I've watched a fair bit of Colombia since 2014 and it seems to me that he is at his best when given free rein. When they put him in the #10 shirt and just let him go he is great. When they confine him to a more static role on one side he struggles to impact the game as he can.

I've seen games where he was just sitting on one side and then when they went behind either the coach let him go or he just said "**** it" and went looking for the ball - sometime all the way back to pick it up off the CBs if they were really struggling - and he helped turn their performance around.

Essentially I think he's at his best when he is "the man", the focal point of the team. It was never going to work at Madrid with their bevy of stars. I fear the same at Bayern?

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/07/2017 at 5:27 AM, btron3000 said:

How do yo think he'll fit, FCB?

I really don't know. For the kind of money Bayern paid for him he seems a steel.

When Bayern signed van Bommel from the Barca bench he turned out to be fantastic, even became Bayern's first ever non-German captain.

When Bayern signed Robben from the Real bench/sick bay it was seen as high risk, and his body has been in need of managing ever since. But under Jupp Heynckes he learned to tackle and defend, and has been world class ever since.

Now James: he had one good year at Real, under Ancelotti. After Sanchez priced himself out of a Bayern move, James was Ancelotti's man. We'll have to wait and see. Much will depend on how he settles in off the pitch.

One has to wonder what on Earth happened with Douglas Costa. It seems he decided some time last season that Bayern is not for him, and played accordingly. Not the trimmings of a genuine football pro, and seen form that perspective James > Costa.

20 hours ago, GunnerWanderer said:

Anyone catch Milan and Munich tonight 

Interesting result. Bayern was very impressive against Hoffenheim and Bremen a week ago, well on top of Arsenal for most of the game, and then this rather surprising result. Regardless of the weakened side Bayern was fielding (Neuer, Boateng, Kimmich, Rudy, Suele, Thiago, Robben, Vidal all still missing, Bernat coming off with an injury): Ancelotti and team were not amused.

My reading: they are yet to replace Alonso. Given the chance they will make a bid for Verrati at the end of next month, and loan out Sanches.

• 2 weeks later...

Bayern won the super cup in Dortmund after penalties.

Neuer, Robben, Boateng, Thiago, James, Alaba, Bernat all out with injuries - the trip to China and playing four exhibition matches there came at a cost. 

This promises to be a difficult start of the season, at the very least. 

45 minutes ago, FCB said:

Bayern won the super cup in Dortmund after penalties.

Neuer, Robben, Boateng, Thiago, James, Alaba, Bernat all out with injuries - the trip to China and playing four exhibition matches there came at a cost. 

This promises to be a difficult start of the season, at the very least. 

I guess these football clubs are at the top because of the money. Is the long injury list and resulting poor early season form worth it for all the money? I'm guessing it is!

1 hour ago, Prydzopolis said:

I guess these football clubs are at the top because of the money. Is the long injury list and resulting poor early season form worth it for all the money? I'm guessing it is!

Bayern played four games in ten days in China and Singapor. The chairman more or less that they put money ahead of sport, and that they won't do such an extreme trip again. 

• 4 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Prydzopolis said:

Any insights for me FCB?

The new coach took the captain's armband off him. He is 29, has played the last 16 years for Schalke, and has won the WC. Very understandable that he wasn't super excited about the developments in his club, and someone managed to offer him a tasty Plan B. That's my reading anyway. Valter probably would be the better person to ask.

• 2 weeks later...