Germany Thread

It is amazing how the governing bodies of football seem to be surprised by the enthusiasm of those who "consume" that very product. I am finding it hard to believe that there was no opportunity to establish a live site and divert those without tickets away from the ground. If 20,000 unexpected visitors to London can cause so much "trouble", what are the authorities going to do if real trouble was to arrive one day?

14 hours ago, Prydzopolis said:

You also ask the question, there were a few unruly scenes but how unfair would it be to taint all 20,000 traveling fans with the same brush when only a handful were responsible?

See some of the reaction in the British media and you'll see what I mean :( 

The club had a few things to say in that matter.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/sep/15/uefa-disciplinary-proceedings-arsenal-cologne-europa-league

Yes, unfair would it be? Mind you, Cologne have not just a few very dedicated pyro worshippers amongst them.

Fantastic balanced article which is very different to what the mirror put out. Funny listening to Arsenal tragic John Cross who wasn't willing to take some of the positives out of the night, instead saying he doesn't want any of it in England. 

8 hours ago, FCB said:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/sep/15/uefa-disciplinary-proceedings-arsenal-cologne-europa-league

Yes, unfair would it be? Mind you, Cologne have not just a few very dedicated pyro worshippers amongst them.

You'd have to agree, they had all these signs pointing to a large traveling away contingent but refused to prepared. Interesting, UEFA didn't bring a charge against Arsenal for being under prepared.

Important to stress that there were unsavory incidentsAll the charges brought against Cologne are more than reasonable. Crowd trouble (heard some reported salutes), pyro and missile throwing etc. I just hate how the reaction is just extreme and many completely ignore the positives or benefits because of negatives caused by a small number.

2 hours ago, Prydzopolis said:

Any fallout from this FCB?

Not officially, no. The goal scorer claims he didn't see the injured player. After the game Meppen's coach didn't quite know what to say, but suggested that Jena do some soul searching. 

• 2 weeks later...

Dear oh dear Carlo.

First the clubs signs the players you asked for, and you say that the squad is better than last year's.

You have a reputation of getting the best out of players, but had five of them against you before the game in Paris, and then you consequently oversaw Bayern's biggest group phase defeat.

What on Earth happened to you?

Interesting:

Been listening to different journalists opinions on Carlo, it has been brewing for some time.

Carlo is the opposite to Pep, although initially he was well received the relaxed approach standards have slipped. Pep had lost the trust of the senior players because he had worked them so hard, Carlo more personable approach was better but then towards the end he had lost the senior players too. Rumor has it that it wasn’t a tactical change more so benching the players to send a message.

The action to let him go was not just to send a message that a result like this was unacceptable. If you are honest, they were just outplayed on the day. The counter attacking brilliance of PSG was phenomenal and Bayern were okay but not enough to justify a sacking. Bayern have a history of sacking managers in December but with Carlo, if he couldn’t beat PSG now how could he beat them in the champion league finals? This was the thinking (apparently).

What happens next? nagelsmann was rumored to take over at the end of the year but would Tuchel be happy playing a bit part role? Maybe a good idea to let nagelsmann develop a bit more at hoffenheim?

The other issue, Bayern are competing with Europe’s elite clubs on a shoestring budget and disagree with the spending habits of the other clubs. The idea is now bring in a German manager to bring back the German mentality that Pep once had at the club.

FCB, anything to add or alter?

2 hours ago, GunnerWanderer said:

Amazing Bayern can pull the trigger on such a destinguised man yet Wenger survives ten years of shitness 

much respect Bayern 

Chairman Hoeness: "As coach you can't have you highest profile players as enemies. In my life I have learned this saying: the enemy in your bed is the most dangerous. That's why we had to act." 

I do not understand how this coach managed to antagonise so many key players in such a short period of time. 

Bayern waited and waited for things to get better with Magath in 06/07 (late Jan), Klinsmann in 08/09 (April) and LvG in 10/11 (March). Not this time. Better now than in March when it's too late. 

Prydz, don't know what makes you say that Bayern has a history of sacking managers in Dec, and that they are running on a shoestring budget. 

They are sussing out Tuchel. He's available, he's for talks in Munich, Bayern have been in contact with both BVB and Pep (!) to get their input, and he comes with a 2013 recommendation of Heynckes: he was brilliant a Mainz, well before Pep arrived in the BL. 

Carlo ****ed up. Big time. 

1 hour ago, FCB said:

Prydz, don't know what makes you say that Bayern has a history of sacking managers in Dec,

Decision made in regards to managers futures I believe or my podcast sources got it wrong...

1 hour ago, FCB said:

and that they are running on a shoestring budget. 

Compared to other European big teams. Can you see them spending over the odds or get in a bidding war over a player? In terms of budget they can’t compete. Shoestring budget probably not the right word.

It's one thing to decide on the coach for next season in December (Heynckes/Pep), its another thing sacking three of them over a decade late in the season.

Last year Bayern was in the top ten when it comes to salary spend. Shoestring looks different.

http://www.globalsportssalaries.com/GSSS 2016.pdf

No, they don't participate in the transfer sum madness. They are a sporting club, the money they are spending is their own, not that of sheiks or investors. I wouldn't want it any other way. 

I must admit FCB, I heard these things from so called “experts” so who am I to disagree? 

I still think it was an early dismissal even by Bayern standards. In terms of spending, my point was to highlight the difficulty in competing for European honors when not splashing on absurd sums on players. It increases the difficulty in an age where the likes of spending €100 on a player is not an outlier but the norm.

3 hours ago, Prydzopolis said:

I must admit FCB, I heard these things from so called “experts” so who am I to disagree? 

I still think it was an early dismissal even by Bayern standards. In terms of spending, my point was to highlight the difficulty in competing for European honors when not splashing on absurd sums on players. It increases the difficulty in an age where the likes of spending €100 on a player is not an outlier but the norm.

Experts, huh?  Maybe I should do a podcast when it comes to Bayern :-)

Of course it was an early dismissal, which tells you just how bad the situation between coach and team had become. No conspiracy theories required here, cluster **** up by the coaching group. 

Have a look at the stats: Bayern's salary expenses aren't that far off from those who spend more than them. It's not Bayern's problem that the EPL spends big on overrated players.  That shoestring budget was enough to win the UCL in 2013  and play three consecutive UCL semis since then. How's your club been doing in Europe in recent years on a non-shoestring budget?

1 hour ago, FCB said:

How's your club been doing in Europe in recent years on a non-shoestring budget?

Chelsea or Juve?

Chelsea’s problems are just like many other English teams issues. On top of that, RA at the helm with his quest for instant success he refuses to accept any form of failure. Chelsea won’t compete this year, for the same reason that has stumped them in the past.

Juve, have been doing well in Europe and will always be competing but unsure whether they’ll actually win trophies. Over the past few years, they have done very well financially: going deep into the tournament (being the only Italian team in most occasions they don’t split the revenue), brand new full stadium, selling players and getting recruitment spot on. Being a selling club, having to constantly rebuild is tough.

The positive? Using the characteristics of the league that best reflects and accentuates the positives of the team have allowed them to compete in Europe. In Italy, defensive and tactical discipline. Is that enough to win the champions league? 

14 hours ago, Prydzopolis said:

Thoughts?

What am I thinking?

• I am thinking that Bayern's future went live six weeks ago https://fcbayern.com/us/news/2017/08/press-release-fc-bayern-campus-officially-inaugurated
  • I am thinking that a certain type of first team coach is required to promote young players, and that Tuchel has the goods. 
  • I am thinking that Nagelsmann right now is unavailable, and signing Tuchel now would have created issues with some of the existing players. They decided that they needed more time to either accommodate Tuchel, or re-visit Nagelsmann, or clear the decks for someone else. 
  • I am thinking that Heynckes is the perfect choice to buy this kind of time. He has Bayern-heart beating in his chest. He is football royalty minus Beckenbauer's ego.
  • I am thinking that the biggest part of his 2013 UCL winning side is still around (Neuer, Rafinha, Boateng, Alaba, Martinez, Robben, Mueller, Ribery), and that he's worked with Vidal at Leverkusen. The players adore him, and the bad karma would be out of the window in an instant.
  • I am thinking that the official announcement is coming once Heynckes' choice of assistant and fitness coach can be confirmed. I am also thinking that, unlike Ancelotti, he won't bring his son as assistant coach, his daughter's boy friend as nutritionist, and a chain smoking friend as fitness coach. 
  • I am thinking that, once he is taking charge on Monday, the clocks will be ticking differently at Saebener Strasse.

That's what I am thinking.

It's official. Bayern is bringing back the UCL winning coaching team: head coach Heynckes (72, coming out of retirement), assistant coach Peter Hermann (65, transferred over from Duesseldorf) and assistant coach Hermann Gerland (63, released from his football academy duties) are the "new" team.

Between the three of them they are 200 years old. The other coaches will feel quite young on match day against Bayern.

Nagelsmann (Hoffenheim) 30
Tedesco (Schalke) 32
Wolf (Stuttgart) 36
Baum (Augsburg) 38
Nouri (Bremen) 38
Schwarz (Mainz) 38
Dardai (Berlin) 41
Breitenreiter (Hannover) 44
Herrlich (Leverkusen) 45
Kovac (Frankfurt) 45
Gisdol (Hamburg) 48
Hasenhuettl (Leipzig) 50
Schmidt (Wolfsburg) 50
Stoeger (Koeln) 51
Streich (Freiburg) 52
Bosz (Dortmund) 53
Hecking (Gladbach) 53

On 07/10/2017 at 1:47 PM, ColdRock said:

Never should have let him go

Heynckes retired for a reason.

The 2012/13 triple winning season started the day after the UCL defeat against Chelsea. The club pressed down the accelarator, and kept it down for 12 months - and no one more than Heynckes. Once Pep was announced he pushed even harder. 

In his final press conference he remarked on how demanding it is to coach a club like Bayern. Which was one of the reasons he let the opportunity to coach Real go. 

His batteries are full again while Bayern's seem empty. He'll have his work cut out.