MLS Thread.

In regards to footage, you can download the MLS app. The highlights of the Timbers match include the Timber Army singing the national anthem and unveiling their very large tifo. It's a nice tribute to a daughter of one of the Timber Army capos.

7IDkVGs.jpg

Portland's tifo yesterday looked amazing. Got loads of respect for the Timber Army. True fans of their team.

Edited by adams

Green-Smoke.jpg

PortlandSmoke.jpg

http://www.mlssoccer.com has highlights from all the games. FFA could learn from that. Then again, it probably costs major $$$ to do what the MLS has done with their site, and FFA has Fox Sports/SBS to put highlights.

They pump heaps of money into all their sports media; from college to pro. I honestly dont think Australia would ever meet their standard. 

The Portland fans are ******* awesome. I was lucky enough to drink with them and their chairman Gavin Wilkinson in Vancouver last year when they were on the road against the Withecaps. Gavin is a Kiwi and was full of questions and stories about the A-League and Australian/Kiwi football. A very memorable night indeed!!

533682_10151149111326589_1652529555_n.jp

The portland timbers' active support is what got me to become a fan.

Now i watch every game, and even seeing their support at home games on the telly is special.

The Portland fans are ****ing awesome. I was lucky enough to drink with them and their chairman Gavin Wilkinson in Vancouver last year when they were on the road against the Withecaps. Gavin is a Kiwi and was full of questions and stories about the A-League and Australian/Kiwi football. A very memorable night indeed!!

Great photo!

It's not a bad league. They draw in some names and there is quality football to be seen.

I think the commentary (ESPN) doesn't do it for me. Just something not right about it.

The Portland fans are ****ing awesome. I was lucky enough to drink with them and their chairman Gavin Wilkinson in Vancouver last year when they were on the road against the Withecaps. Gavin is a Kiwi and was full of questions and stories about the A-League and Australian/Kiwi football. A very memorable night indeed!!

Great photo!

It's not a bad league. They draw in some names and there is quality football to be seen.

I think the commentary (ESPN) doesn't do it for me. Just something not right about it.

Ah so im not the only one that gets annoyed by the commentary. Phew

I have huge respect for MLS, as Football isn't the main sport in America and yet some of the crowds are bloody amazing.

... then again they have many millions more than us in their country!!

New England Revolution <3

• 1 month later...

I've got some mates in Portland, who've been egging me to come and visit and catch a match at Jeldwen. Was meant to leave on the 22nd for a month long US trip, but had to can it because of work projects. :sorry: But will definitely make it soon.

Other than the timbers, the New York Red Bulls with Henry and our boy Cahill are pretty hectic.

I've got some mates in Portland, who've been egging me to come and visit and catch a match at Jeldwen. Was meant to leave on the 22nd for a month long US trip, but had to can because of work projects. :sorry: But will definitely make it soon.

Other than the timbers, the New York Red Bulls with Henry and our boy Cahill are pretty hectic.

yeah, gonna get me a timbers and a red bull jersey soon  :xbop:

• 2 weeks later...

Good to see Timmy Cahill get back on the scoring sheet like this...

TIM Cahill's header in stoppage time gave New York a 1-0 win over the Los Angeles Galaxy on Sunday, helping the Red Bulls maintain top spot in the MLS eastern conference.

The Red Bulls won for the fifth time in six games when Australian international Cahill leaped to a Juninho free kick and nodded in from close range for his fourth goal of the season.

Yeah I heard that was in the works. It's kind of weird though. It alienates anyone who supports a baseball team that isn't the Yankees or a European football club that isn't City. Given the choice between New York City FC and New York Red Bulls I'd imagine that any New Yorker who supports Manchester United (and there'd be plenty) would go for the Red Bulls.

I believe the mets are already pissed off as the stadium will be in queens.

But the team won't be "Yankees fc" or anything, they just have s share in ownership.

Also sports in the us are a bit different. Due to media blackouts and do forth it's rare people go for sides outside their own cities, as all the coverage is on them (they don't have neutral commentators even). The Yankees and mets are in different leagues, so it's easier to actually support both in a way.

As well, the red bulks aren't actually from new York, they ate based on jersey.

Yeah I heard that was in the works. It's kind of weird though. It alienates anyone who supports a baseball team that isn't the Yankees or a European football club that isn't City. Given the choice between New York City FC and New York Red Bulls I'd imagine that any New Yorker who supports Manchester United (and there'd be plenty) would go for the Red Bulls.

Sorry about the spelling on mobile :lol:

• 1 month later...

great stuff from portland, and also considering that they're relatively new as well. also love the seattle fans also, i am a big admirer of how they effectively use their stadium

Edited by wilsonpastore
  • 3 weeks later...

Agree. Portland's active support is amazing. Went to a game there last year and the atmosphere is great. I'm a Whitecaps fan, but you've gotta respect what they've done. The bloke cutting the giant log with a chainsaw after they score a goal is gold!

The MLS All Stars v Roma match is on now on ESPN. The atmosphere sounds really good considering it's an All Stars game (although maybe not so surprising considering how patriotic those yanks are).

Also the referee is wearing glasses with a camera built in and it's a pretty awesome feature. It's cool to be able to see what the referee's view of an incident is.

The MLS All Stars v Roma match is on now on ESPN. The atmosphere sounds really good considering it's an All Stars game (although maybe not so surprising considering how patriotic those yanks are).

Also the referee is wearing glasses with a camera built in and it's a pretty awesome feature. It's cool to be able to see what the referee's view of an incident is.

His view will be interesting.. 

The Super 15 refs wear these cameras too! It's scary how close they get to the hits..

His view will be interesting.. 

The Super 15 refs wear these cameras too! It's scary how close they get to the hits..

Would be very useful for inspectors too.

I remember a referee was sent home from the Korea/Japan world cup after missing an incident. His response to the inspector was "I couldn't see... had players in the way". Luckily there was a camera directly behind him that showed his view... no players in the way he had just f**ked it up... pack your bags son!