Television Thread

8 out of 10 cats! :lol::woah:

You seen 8 out of 10 cats does countdown  :D  (countdown is the UK version of letters and numbers and is a cult program in the UK).

Rachel Riley is on this version of the show  :yahoo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7FvngRna9tk

Rachel Riley....mmmmmm Where's she from? Actress? Jimmy Carr is great! :lol:

You seen 8 out of 10 cats does countdown  :D  (countdown is the UK version of letters and numbers and is a cult program in the UK).

She is a mathematician lol An high flying academic / one of the leading mathematicians in the UK lol Brains and beauty. She is on the serious version of countdown doing the numbers, brought herself down a bit doing comedy lol

More Rachel 

:wub:  :wub:  :wub:  :wub:  :wub:  :wub:  :wub:  :wub:

Edited by WSWBoro

She is a mathematician lol An high flying academic / one of the leading mathematicians in the UK lol Brains and beauty. She is on the serious version of countdown doing the numbers, brought herself down a bit doing comedy lol

More Rachel 

:wub:  :wub:  :wub:  :wub:  :wub:  :wub:  :wub:  :wub:

I could do some crude subtracting n dividing jokes...... but I won't! :lol: I must say old chap, she is delicious!!! :D
  • 3 weeks later...

Tonight's episode of 'Australian Story' was a good 'un, looking at the career and mental health issues faced by the man behind Arthur Beare and Norman Gunston, Garry McDonald

http://ab.co/UwOGfZ

Obviously his battle with anxiety and mental health was paramount, however it was nice to see the career of one of the all-time greats of Oz comedy get a survey. All of us old codgers who used to watch the shows like 'Aunty Jack' etc, it's most interesting to see a bit more about the man behind such classic comic moments as this:

I've tried to ignore it as long as possible, but the incessant ads have given me no choice but to say:

EVERY SINGLE PERSON on "Open Slather" should know better. Has Glenn Robbins lost all his money through bad investments?? Why else would he agree to this?

If they put 'the best bits' in the ads; I dread to think of the quality of the rest.

And I'm suing The 'Comedy' Channel for false advertising.

The flash season 2 started last week, picked up where it left off after the end of S1. 10/10

So, so good. Would have to be my favourite show at the moment. I got turned off Arrow after the first season; but watched the 2nd and 3rd seasons in the past few weeks. Excited to see where that goes as well.

Haven't got Netflix, haven't seen daredevil. Looks good though.

Watched the first few episodes of Gotham on whatever free to air channel it was on. Then they ****ed it over (took it off air for a couple of months, then gave it a ridiculous time slot). Have to start again sometime.

The flash season 2 started last week, picked up where it left off after the end of S1. 10/10

So, so good. Would have to be my favourite show at the moment. I got turned off Arrow after the first season; but watched the 2nd and 3rd seasons in the past few weeks. Excited to see where that goes as well.

Watched the first few episodes of Gotham on whatever free to air channel it was on. Then they ****ed it over (took it off air for a couple of months, then gave it a ridiculous time slot). Have to start again sometime.

you should get Netflix - at least get the trial where you get the first month free - watch all the shows, then opt out.

I

******* FTA networks always **** around with shows that don't get massive massive ratings, the problem is by moving the time slots weekly & putting them on at ridiculous hours means that even less people will watch them :nono:

Heard good things about daredevil, is it DC comics?

I

******* FTA networks always **** around with shows that don't get massive massive ratings, the problem is by moving the time slots weekly & putting them on at ridiculous hours means that even less people will watch them :nono:

Heard good things about daredevil, is it DC comics?

lol no, its marvel.

and its awesome.

Fargo series two starts in 10!

Get in!

Thoughts?

A bit of a slow start for me, but still enjoyed it. Love the mix of gory crime and Minnesota Nice. There were some obvious homages to the movie, and how cool/different does Kirsten Dunst look in her 1979 gear?

Gonna be watching this regularly till it ends.

Just watched the first half only tonight.

The tone was initially a bit different I thought, a bit more... jazzed up somehow.

But once the cops got in then it settled a bit more into that old pace.

interesting characters so far.

won't be missing it.

• 2 weeks later...

Watch the first part of the documentary 'The class of 92' on the BBC iplayer last night.

All about how Gary & Phil Neville, Ryan Giggs, Nicky Butt and Paul Scholes have bought a non league club called Salford City FC and are trying to take them up the pyramid to the football league. They have a long way to go!

Was quite entertaining and a good insight in to the difficulties of running a non league outfit.

• 2 weeks later...

Just seen the news on the BBC that Warren Mitchell (Alf Garnett) has died at the age of 89 http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-34820371 Bit lost with everything else going on in the world at the moment.

Not sure how big 'Till death do us part' was in Aus, was before my time but was pretty big in the UK. His rantings in that show would remind me of how Micki and Nige would be in full flight  :D People who called out the show as racist usually missed the point lol But it is a show that could never be made today.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-27046865

The show broke a number of taboos, with a high level of swearing and insulting references to racial minorities, and was condemned by TV clean-up campaigner Mary Whitehouse as a sign of the BBC's declining moral standards.

The irony of a left-wing, Jewish, Spurs supporter playing a Conservative-voting West Ham fan was not lost on Mitchell, although he became concerned that some of his audience failed to recognise the show as satire.

He recalled an exchange with a fellow Tottenham fan who had come up to congratulate him on "having a go" at immigrants. "Actually," Mitchell tersely replied, "we're having a go at idiots like you."

Throughout the 1970s, Mitchell found time for other roles, appearing in The Sweeney and Lovejoy on TV, as well as taking a part in Terry Gilliam's feature film Jabberwocky.

I think Warren lived in Perth for a number of years.

Edited by WSWBoro

Up the 'ammers

stream_img.jpg

He was actually a spurs fan of course :lol:

It was on here a bit before my time also.

We had a remake of sorts called "Kingswood country". Very similar setup. Suburban Anglo westie dad and his daughter marries a wog.

Just seen the news on the BBC that Warren Mitchell (Alf Garnett) has died at the age of 89 http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-34820371 Bit lost with everything else going on in the world at the moment.

Not sure how big 'Till death do us part' was in Aus, was before my time but was pretty big in the UK. His rantings in that show would remind me of how Micki and Nige would be in full flight  :D People who called out the show as racist usually missed the point lol But it is a show that could never be made today.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-27046865

The show broke a number of taboos, with a high level of swearing and insulting references to racial minorities, and was condemned by TV clean-up campaigner Mary Whitehouse as a sign of the BBC's declining moral standards.

The irony of a left-wing, Jewish, Spurs supporter playing a Conservative-voting West Ham fan was not lost on Mitchell, although he became concerned that some of his audience failed to recognise the show as satire.

He recalled an exchange with a fellow Tottenham fan who had come up to congratulate him on "having a go" at immigrants. "Actually," Mitchell tersely replied, "we're having a go at idiots like you."

Throughout the 1970s, Mitchell found time for other roles, appearing in The Sweeney and Lovejoy on TV, as well as taking a part in Terry Gilliam's feature film Jabberwocky.

I think Warren lived in Perth for a number of years.

Well said Boro.

I saw a bit of 'Til Death...' as a kid and didn't really appreciate it (and of course it served as the prototype for the American TV classic 'All in the Family'). However having seen more of it since the early 70s, plus read about the writer (Johnny Speight) I can honestly say 'Til Death...' and Warren Mitchell were hugely influential on the creation of television culture.

He also made a sequel called 'In Sickness and in Health' which starred my all time fave comedic genius, Spike Milligan...here's a clip of them from that series:

My best memory of Warren Mitchell was seeing him play Willie Lomax in 'Death of a Salesman' at the Seymour Centre circa 1982 with Mel Gibson as Biff...

My best memory of Warren Mitchell was seeing him play Willie Lomax in 'Death of a Salesman' at the Seymour Centre circa 1982 with Mel Gibson as Biff...

I saw that production too, Manfred.

Brilliant.  Warren Mitchell was wonderful. I though Mel Gibson was,  also.   I saw him in Romeo and Juliet around that time too.  Don't think I've ever watched any of his movies except Braveheart.

He makes me nervous watching him interviewed, because he always seems so nervous and fidgety.  But as a stage actor... I thought he was surprisingly good.