Television Thread

http://www.sbs.com.au/guide/article/2016/02/09/lets-meet-new-cast-vikings-series-4?cid=sbs:guide:tile2

Season 4 of Vikings tomorrow night on SBS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Vikings! Vikings! Vikings! :woah: :woah: :woah:

Edit: small spoilers in the link, just introduces the new characters

Started last week nath, probably should get in and watch it online if you missed it.

I watched it, 

ep 2 is tomorrow night

• 2 months later...

Just finished watching - The Hollow Crown on the BBC iplayer. Adaptation of Shakespeare Henry VI, next week it is Richard III, amazing cast and acting, the BBC doing what it does best and makes every penny of the VPN worth it to unlock the content straight away.

If you like your history get it watched. http://www.theguardian.com/media/2016/may/09/bbc-hollow-crown-war-of-the-roses-tom-sturridge-hugh-bonneville

Edited by WSWBoro
  • 2 weeks later...

Not watching much FTA to TV at this moment, or indeed Foxtel.

Spending a lot more time working my way (again) through all episodes of 'Northern Exposure'

Lovely, intelligent, funny series from a time when you didn't have to have cable/pay TV to watch something on the idiot box with imagination.

Also re-watching 'Generation Kill', including the audio commentaries. Brilliant stuff (best TV drama about war ever)

New series of Top Gear on the iplayer tonight.... notsure if I can be arsed or not. I was tired of the format with the old guys and this doesn't look much better from the clips I have seen.

Heard that it was a flustercuck...

It really was awful, Chris Evans is such a wanker.

Matt Le Blanc was actually not too bad. Evans dragging it down.

But it was a tired format before these guys took over.

With top gear for me there came a point at which the setups were obvious and visible. I.e., you would tell that things were loosely scripted (Mays car will break down here, Hammond will get lost here or whatever). I stopped watching then. It was a long time ago!

With top gear for me there came a point at which the setups were obvious and visible. I.e., you would tell that things were loosely scripted (Mays car will break down here, Hammond will get lost here or whatever). I stopped watching then. It was a long time ago!

Felt the same way. I'd always felt it was too scripted and lost all interest after I saw Top Gear Live (free ticket) and it was so scripted and staged it was really boring.

• 2 weeks later...

Can't remember when I last watched commercial television, tbh....apart from 7 or 10 News maybe, and a bit of The Project, now and then.

So I've forgotten how intrusive and annoying TV adverts are.

But I got sucked in to watching Finding Nemo again last night on 7.

And I was reminded how intrusive and annoying TV adverts are...well and truly!!

Currently watching

Versailles - bbc drama about Louis xiv. Pretty good. Lots of naked flesh being flashed around. 23 sex scenes over 10 episodes they say. Some fine stuff on show.

New Blood - bbc police drama with Mark Addy.

New series of the Muskerteers.

Edited by WSWBoro
  • 2 weeks later...

Fully  agree on both scores, Manfred.

What do you reckon... Barnaby comes across as in real trouble if you ask me!

I'd love Tony Windsor to get back in.

LOL The Books and Literature Thread - Politics Thread by stealth!   :lol:

It's a really interesting situation (as shown by Four Corners). There is a very solid supporter base of Tony Windsor, which used to be focused on the lower slopes and plains around Tamworth. Having said that Barnaby has a serious connection with that immediate area, with also some links further up the road in Armidale (he went to UNE like me, though a couple of years later...I suspect I might've sold him his accounting textbooks lol). Armidale does have some potential for being left of centre partly due to the influence of the university, however both there and Tamworth (the two largest towns with about 70% of the eligble voters) have significant conservative cockie voters. Then, there's the issue of mining and coal gas which will resonate for Gunnedah particularly, and infrastructure, jobs etc further out in smaller towns like Glen Innes, Barraba, Bingara, Tenterfield etc.

What Four Corners did last night was show that regional electorates are far more complex than one may believe, and to be blunt city folk often miss the point entirely of what happens in the scrub. Joyce was shown to be a very effective campaigner for his local audience, with possibly his three biggest concerns being the NBN in Tamworth (or lack thereof), CSG mining and Windsors' personal pull. Makes me almost wish I could vote in that seat again...

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

HyperNormalisation......... how we got to where we are now....This I think is only available on BBC iplayer and was made specifically for BBC iplayer so has not been broadcast live in the UK, i found it via a discussion on the Boro forum and is WELL worth watching if you can get access..

http://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/latestnews/2016/adam-curtis-hypernormalisation

BBC iPlayer offers an extraordinary place to experiment and to tell stories that allow you to explore and explain the strangeness of our modern world in a new way. 
Adam Curtis

Date: 22.09.2016     Last updated: 22.09.2016 at 10.49
Acclaimed filmmaker, Adam Curtis brings his new epic film, HyperNormalisation to BBC iPlayer this October. The film will premiere at 9pm on Sunday 16 October.

HyperNormalisation tells the extraordinary story of how we got to this strange time of great uncertainty and confusion - where those who are supposed to be in power are paralysed - and have no idea what to do. And, where events keep happening that seem inexplicable and out of control - from Donald Trump to Brexit, the War in Syria, the endless migrant crisis, and random bomb attacks. It explains not only why these chaotic events are happening - but also why we, and our politicians, cannot understand them.

The film shows that what has happened is that all of us in the West - not just the politicians and the journalists and the experts, but we ourselves - have retreated into a simplified, and often completely fake version of the world. But because it is all around us, we accept it as normal.

HyperNormalisation has been made specifically for BBC iPlayer. It tells an epic narrative spanning 40 years, with an extraordinary cast of characters. They include the Assad dynasty, Donald Trump, Henry Kissinger, Patti Smith, the early performance artists in New York, President Putin, intelligent machines, Japanese gangsters, suicide bombers - and the extraordinary untold story of the rise, fall, rise again, and finally the assassination of Colonel Gaddafi.

All these stories are woven together to show how today’s fake and hollow world was created. Part of it was done by those in power - politicians, financiers and technological utopians. Rather than face up to the real complexities of the world, they retreated. And instead constructed a simpler version of the world in order to hang onto power.

But it wasn’t just those in power. The film shows how this strange world was built by all of us. We all went along with it because the simplicity was reassuring. And that included the left and the radicals who thought they were attacking the system. The film reveals how they too retreated into this make-believe world - which is why their opposition today has no effect, and nothing ever changes.

Victoria Jaye, Head of TV content, BBC iPlayer says: ““Adam is a brilliant storyteller and film maker, who has taken full creative advantage of BBC iPlayer to produce ambitious, groundbreaking new work. HyperNormalisation is both timely and important and builds on the huge success of Bitter Lake which attracted over 1.8 million requests to the platform. So far this year, iPlayer first titles have attracted over 75 million requests, which is a significant contribution from a select few titles and we expect to see this rise as we look to premiere more and more content on the service.â€

Adam Curtis says: “BBC iPlayer offers an extraordinary place to experiment and to tell stories that allow you to explore and explain the strangeness of our modern world in a new way. Complex, interwoven stories that reflect the new complexity and unpredictability of our time.â€

HyperNormalisation builds on the success of Bitter Lake, Adam Curtis’ first iPlayer commission and The Rack Pack, which attracted over 1.2m requests on iPlayer before being broadcast on BBC Two.