Television Thread

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
48 minutes ago, ManfredSchaefer said:

For those with access to Netflix do yourself a favour and check out 'The Spy'

Cohen is pretty bloody good in this drama.

Yep agree enjoyed that, the guy must have a pair of coconuts to brazen it out so long.

Took a while to just get past Borat in my mind though, kept expecting him to burst into "veeerrry niiccceee" 

1 minute ago, WSWJACK said:

Yep agree enjoyed that, the guy must have a pair of coconuts to brazen it out so long.

Took a while to just get past Borat in my mind though, kept expecting him to burst into "veeerrry niiccceee" 

I can see why you had that association. I haven't watched a lot of his comedy as to be honest I don't find him that funny. So when it comes to watching him play Eli Cohen as a straight dramatic role I didn't have the same reaction vis-a-vis Borat.

One thing I'm enjoying about 'The Spy' is that it's pretty succinct...i.e. there is little BS or extraneous material. The episodes I've seen so far push the narrative along at a decent pace & there is just enough plot and character development to give the key players a detailed role in the story. It also looks good, including the slightly washed out colours.

Probably my second favourite espionage series after 'Deutschland 83'

One of my fave shows back in the 1970s was The Gong Show. Not sure how many, if any forumites know of the program however there was news today that one of the judges, Rip Taylor died overnight. Whilst he's not in this clip it is an absolute classic...

Watch what the two female contestants do :rofl:

Settled in an finished off 'Les Norton' this arvo. Pretty happy with it even though I know it pissed off the Norton tragics for not being totally true to the novels, and the more sensitive types who thought it was a sexist salute to the ocker kulcha of yesteryear.

If one took it as a gentle, slightly silly yarn of bent coppers, bent pollies & other members of Sydney's demimonde in the 1980s it worked fine. Sometimes I reckon it mucked up some of the 80s refs, other times it got them bang on. For example, seeing the main villain sipping on a Wine Cooler with a straw was deadset mint 1985...ditto watching Norton wake up to a Copal clock that used the old analogue numbers to look like it was digital.

Worth a good look if you've missed it via iView.

https://iview.abc.net.au/show/les-norton?&WT.srch=1&WT.mc_id=Corp_TV|AdWords:les norton iview_e_g_374450637793_&gclid=Cj0KCQjwoebsBRCHARIsAC3JP0JQx7X8fAGzWRK_O6ydSsrNCja6FqNLKGxwe7gtziByU0e9cUzeNcgaAk7JEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

BBC new drama ' World on fire', just watched first episode and very good. Coming to BBC First on Fox soon i think.

Sean Bean is in it and set during WW2. British government worker in Poland in 1939..also dating Sean Bean's daughter back in England, but has also got involved with a Polish girl...who he marries to try and save and take back to UK....wont say anymore in case some here watch and will spoil...well worth a watch...

22 minutes ago, Erimus said:

BBC new drama ' World on fire', just watched first episode and very good. Coming to BBC First on Fox soon i think.

Sean Bean is in it and set during WW2. British government worker in Poland in 1939..also dating Sean Bean's daughter back in England, but has also got involved with a Polish girl...who he marries to try and save and take back to UK....wont say anymore in case some here watch and will spoil...well worth a watch...

Yeah, heard of this & seen promos on Foxtel. Think I'll take a look.

Waiting for this to drop too

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

i have only watched cops a few times, i never watched a paranormal show i love haunted places but not those kind of shows, mostly i like haunted places because while i might not believe in ghosts the history behind those kind of places is usually very interesting, i also watched the amazing race australia a few times recently and its difficult because i dont hate any of the teams which is weird because usually i dislike most of them :P

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 25/07/2019 at 12:59 PM, JackDoff said:

Us oldies on here would remember this guy!  Put him on Masterchef!  :rofl:

Can't view the video, but lemme guess - is it Keith Floyd?

On 03/10/2019 at 9:46 AM, WSWJACK said:

I do enjoy thrillers based on real life, but my concern is that this will be a pro-Israel propaganda piece.  What did others think?