Messi Wins Record 4th Consecutive Ballon d'Or

Davo

Lionel Messi has won footballer of the year for the 4th time in a row. Cristiano Ronaldo was 2nd and Andres Inesta 3rd.

Del Bosque beat Mourinho and Guardiola for manager of the year.

The team of the year was entirely Barcelona and Real Madrid players with Falcao thrown in.

Goal of the year went to Miroslav Stoch:

2nd to Falcao:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zHhbmp80yC4

and 3rd to Neymar:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4N8d6sZyXoY

I'm not sure about those goals, they're pretty awesome but I think there were better last year.

Also Messi collected the award in the worst suit ever made.

article225859316cc03de0.jpg

Edited by Davo

I think out of those goals I like Falcao's but as with most years, there was definitely better goals than these in 2012.

Messi 4 in a row, can't say he doesn't deserve it, surely there's not too many people around who would still say he's not one of if not the best player of all time.

Yeah I think Ronaldo's an awesome player but Messi was the correct choice.

There was a bit of bias in some of the voting. Messi got a vote as captain of Argentina but didn't have Ronaldo in his top 3 (he had Iniesta, Xavi and Aguero) while Castillas didn't have Messi in his top 3 (Ramos, Ronaldo and Xavi) and Del Bosque only had Spaniards (Castillas, Xavi and Iniesta). Our captain Neill had Ronaldo, Van Persie and Messi in 3rd (yeah good work Lucas...) I guess the number of voters is big enough that they get the right result but it's interesting to see how people vote.

These awards are a joke these days, how Andrea Pirlo didnt at least make the top 3 baffles me. Yeah people will say he didnt score an amazing amount of goals (der he's a deep lying playermaker ffs) but his performances in 2012 were absolutely incredible. Lead Juve to an undefeated Scudetto in 2011/2012, dragged Italy to the final of Euro 2012, made the final of the Coppa Italia and won the Italian supercup. He has been sensational since he's joined us. Amazing player.

These awards are a joke these days, how Andrea Pirlo didnt at least make the top 3 baffles me. Yeah people will say he didnt score an amazing amount of goals (der he's a deep lying playermaker ffs) but his performances in 2012 were absolutely incredible. Lead Juve to an undefeated Scudetto in 2011/2012, dragged Italy to the final of Euro 2012, made the final of the Coppa Italia and won the Italian supercup. He has been sensational since he's joined us. Amazing player.

This. Pirlo is amazing

Pirlo had a great year but the problem for him is that he plays in the same position as people like Xavi and Iniesta who also had a great year.

I agree. Pirlo was robbed not to be in the final 3. arguably he should have won the thing.

But commentators during Juve games are now saying he doesn't need the award to prove that he is one of the best

(much like Roddy Piper never needed the world championship in order to be labelled one of the best

-first post....wrestling reference :cool: )

ROFL! @ the wrestling reference. I got it, and I agree...Forza Rowdy Roddy!

But yeah, Pirlo >>>> Xavi easily in 2012. There is no comparison, someone posted the stats between the two midfielders and Pirlo shat on him the past season and a half. I'll see if I can dig them up somewhere.

Messi needs to win a World Cup to be labelled the greatest of all time. And he needs to be pivotal in doing so. Maradona has that over him. FFS even Pirlo has that over him ;)

He's the football version of Sting. He might have done well at WCW and TNA, but if he never gets to the big house he'll never be in the same echelon as the guys who have done it all over the place.

Messi needs to win a World Cup to be labelled the greatest of all time. And he needs to be pivotal in doing so. Maradona has that over him. FFS even Pirlo has that over him ;)

He's the football version of Sting. He might have done well at WCW and TNA, but if he never gets to the big house he'll never be in the same echelon as the guys who have done it all over the place.

I wouldn't say he did well at TNA. Stole The Jokers gimmick. He's too old now anyway.

I agree, what if he was from macedonia or somewhere random? How is he supposed to win a World Cup without playing in a good team? It takes more than one player no matter how good he is. Argentina have a decent attacking side but that's about it, no team dynamics like Spain, no structure like Germany, and no physical presence either.