Film Thread

MP4Eedz

• 1 month later...

Since we're a very multicultural part of Sydney I figured I'd ask you all if you've seen any films. Not your typical US-Hollywood-Cinema but cultural films cause their so much better to watch.

I've seen films "Swing" and "Latcho Drom" directed by Tony Gatlif. "Midnight in Paris" and "Vicky Cristina Barcelona" directed by Woody Allen (if you wanna get close to hollywood films but they're pretty decent to watch as well). "Love me if you dare" is a good french film to watch. "Le Vie en Rose" the biography film of Edith Piaf is another good one.

I tend to follow a theme in films, music and culture. Tony Gatlif films are definitely my favourites.

Anybody seen or got any recommendations?

I enjoyed Vicky Cristina Barcelona... for reasons that should be clear (Scarlett Johansson will be mine. Oh yes. She will be mine) Y Tu Mama Tambien is also.... good (seriously good story imho)

I also prefer the (mostly asian) World stories- before hollywood gets them. Obvious examples being Ringu and The Grudge. Battle Royale is STILL the benchmark of that genre (and obviously copied by the hunger games, the condemned, etc). The original REC shits all over the remake. Same with girl with the dragon tattoo. Same with let the right one in.

I have seen quite a lot of good foreign movies

The City of God from Brazil I still think is one of the best movies I have ever seen.

I liked the TV series City of Men more than the film tbh but yeah still a great film.

The films of Caro and Jeunet are awesome. The most famous one is Amelie but Delicatessen and The CIty of Lost Children are just amazing.... post apocalyptic, black, but visually stunning as well (especially that second one).

I can't remember if they did "a very long engagement" but that was also very good, especially as I remember seeing the title and thinking it must be the worst chick flick ever made :lol:.

Did anyone watch that immense history of film on sbs that ran over the summer? Highlighted a lot of "non hollywood" cinema.... but boy it was wanky narration, i persisted as long as I could but gave up eventually. Still showed lots of films that I want to see now though.

I love foreign movies (though European language movies aren't very foreign to me since I watch them all the time)

my favourites...

French:

Amelie

The Spanish Apartment

L'arnacoeur

The Beat that my Heart Skipped

Paris, Je T'aime

A Monster in Paris

La Vie en Rose

C.R.A.Z.Y. 

The Dreamers (not for the prudes lol)

La Femme Nikita

Spanish:

Pan's Labyrith (probably my favourite movie of all time)

Y Tu Mama Tambien

All About My Mother

[Rec]

Others:

City of God (Brazilian)

Lemon Tree (Israel/Palestine)

Waltz With Bashir (Israel)

Caramel (Lebanese)

Zouzou (Lebanese)

Paradise Now (Israel/Palestine)

I could go on forever lol

p.s. anyone who has an open mind about sexuality should really watch C.R.A.Z.Y.

it really gives an insight into how hard life can be if you're a little "different" (well i dispute that your sexuality makes you different...)

it really gives an insight into how hard life can be if you're a little "different" (well i dispute that your sexuality makes you different...)

Can't remember if I saw this or not. But I like any movies with unsimulated sex in them lol. Shortbus is good, as is 9 songs. They're both in English though.

Does anyone have interest in Asian movies?

I am a huge fan of Jackie Chan, loved his police story movies, i enjoyed watching his movie from 2009, shinjuku incident, it was dark but not your typical jackie chan movie, more like triads vs the yakuza.

Loved the movie death note from japan.

Its not all about kung fu fighting.

p.s. anyone who has an open mind about sexuality should really watch C.R.A.Z.Y.it really gives an insight into how hard life can be if you're a little "different" (well i dispute that your sexuality makes you different...)

Can't remember if I saw this or not. But I like any movies with unsimulated sex in them lol. Shortbus is good, as is 9 songs. They're both in English though.

You should watch the french movie Q, it has unsimulated sex but at least they tell the story properly

lol it's about sexuality not sex :P there are about 20 million french movies with unsimulated sex in them though

Speaking of foreign films, anything with Monica Bellucci is a must!

Anthony Zimmer (French) is a good flick, it's the original version of The Tourist with Angelina and Depp, just much better.

this is true, except not brotherhood of the wolf lol

I am a huge fan of Jackie Chan, loved his police story movies, i enjoyed watching his movie from 2009, shinjuku incident, it was dark but not your typical jackie chan movie, more like triads vs the yakuza.

p.s. anyone who has an open mind about sexuality should really watch C.R.A.Z.Y.it really gives an insight into how hard life can be if you're a little "different" (well i dispute that your sexuality makes you different...)

You should watch the french movie Q, it has unsimulated sex but at least they tell the story properly

Will do. In the mean time...

MV5BMjEwNzYxMTIyNl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwOTA5

Downfall (Germany)

Most of these war-related films I've seen is pretty decent.

I was gonna say this originally actually, but was worried it would be a bit dark for a movies thread, haha. Der Undertang is easily the best dramatisation of Hitler I've ever seen. 

Thread needs more tits

Seriously though - Amelie was great, and La Vie En Rose was heartbreaking and awesome. Oh and there was a South African movie called Tsotsi or something about a little criminal kid who winds up stealing a car with a baby in the back seat

here you go

tits.jpg

sex and lucia ....mmmm

watch world movies more then the other movie channels........just watched (again) warlords with jet li .....great movie.....he is up there with jackie chan 

someone mentioned Life is Beautiful already......one of my fav movies of all time 

They're the best. All of them are quality. 

I recommend watching Old Boy if you're into Asian movies.

sex and lucia ....mmmm

watch world movies more then the other movie channels........just watched (again) warlords with jet li .....great movie.....he is up there with jackie chan 

someone mentioned Life is Beautiful already......one of my fav movies of all time 

I've been meaning to watch sex and lucia