MP4Eedz

Film Thread

The people in New York in John Wick 3 are really desensitised to violence, just dozens of people getting murdered out in the open and no-one even bats an eye.

i heard the nightingale is a very good movie, same director as the babadook, she is a very good director

On 03/09/2019 at 10:42 PM, Bones said:

Awesome.

If it was crap they'd be the first to say so I guess.

Saw 'Danger Close' on Tuesday night.

It was very good in terms of how it presented the history of the Battle of Long Tan vis-a-vis the props, effects, acting, narrative etc. For example, the sound of the rounds going over head were spot on, though the mortars sounded too loud from what I have heard. The actors were kitted up 100% as they should've been, including the use of Owen guns, SLRs and personal gear such as webbing, greens etc. Most of the time they also captured the tactical movements and communication of both those engaged in the battle & infantry practices as I learned in the mid 80s. Technically it was brilliant.

As for actual history I'm not so excessive in my praise. Yes, it did do a good job of following much of what happened at Long Tan. However there were some changes here and there (e.g. when the rain started, the changes to how D Company received air support, the bullshit back at 1 ATF HQ). Plus I'm not 100% sure Harry Smith was anything like as he portrayed by Travis Fimmel in the film (saw HS once at Hervey Bay RSL...had an aura of 'no BS around me'). I need to finish rereading Lex McAuley's book to confirm where it deviated from history.

Is it a great Vietnam War film? Yes. The best Australian film on the subject? Yes, just shading 'The Odd Angry Shot'. However I can see why some critics have launched into it, in part because it doesn't offer a nuanced PC version of what happened and because it is a bit old school (not that dissimilar in methodology as the classic British war films of the 1950s). I enjoyed it, but I can see why it won't be everyone's cup's canteen of brew

saw IT: Chapter 2, not as good as the first imo and wont spoil anything but not a huge fan of the ending however it was still fun

On 06/09/2019 at 4:54 PM, ManfredSchaefer said:

This is gonna be great...hoffenlich

That looks great, had to look three times but still wasn't sure so I googled it lol and it is him playing Hitler. That fella can do anything.

'Once Upon a Time in Hollywood' was okay but I don't think it was up to the same standard as 'Inglorious Basterds'. It could've done with about 20 minutes cut from the version showing in the cinemas at the moment.

5 hours ago, Neverbloom said:

really enjoyed the joker but wasnt the cheeriest movie ever :P

Looks intriguing.

BTW what is it with DC films? Don;t think I've seen one that I've really liked. 'Man of Steel' was okay as was 'Wonder Woman' but generally they're very sucky. Other night the Gf put 'Aquaman' on and jesus that was stupid.

38 minutes ago, ManfredSchaefer said:

Looks intriguing.

BTW what is it with DC films? Don;t think I've seen one that I've really liked. 'Man of Steel' was okay as was 'Wonder Woman' but generally they're very sucky. Other night the Gf put 'Aquaman' on and jesus that was stupid.

its not superhero/villain movie its very different and unique, i didnt mind wonder women but it wasnt nearly as good as some people said, the dark knight was excellent but that was back in 2008 they cant ride on that forever, i am hoping suicide squad 2 isnt going to be terrible like the first was and birds of prey is promising

5 minutes ago, Neverbloom said:

its not superhero/villain movie its very different and unique, i didnt mind wonder women but it wasnt nearly as good as some people said, the dark knight was excellent but that was back in 2008 they cant ride on that forever, i am hoping suicide squad 2 isnt going to be terrible like the first was and birds of prey is promising

Yeah, 'Suicide Squad' was ordinary, though Margot Robbie was very decent as Harley Quinn.

Think they screwed the pooch big time with 'Justice League' & the Affleck Batman flicks.

4 minutes ago, ManfredSchaefer said:

Yeah, 'Suicide Squad' was ordinary, though Margot Robbie was very decent as Harley Quinn.

Think they screwed the pooch big time with 'Justice League' & the Affleck Batman flicks.

she was the highlight of the movie for me, i dunno it has a chance to be a great movie but was unfocused as hell, i cant pretend i watched justice league or any ben affleck batman movie o i missed a lot of the garbage, in general i am not that interested in super hero movies there are just too many and i get burnt out by them but maybe i am missing a lot of good movies(at least from marvel) because of that

6 minutes ago, Neverbloom said:

she was the highlight of the movie for me, i dunno it has a chance to be a great movie but was unfocused as hell, i cant pretend i watched justice league or any ben affleck batman movie o i missed a lot of the garbage, in general i am not that interested in super hero movies there are just too many and i get burnt out by them but maybe i am missing a lot of good movies(at least from marvel) because of that

I'm not a superhero movie junkie and can understand why Scorsese laid into them. However for me what works with the Marvel films is that they have a sense of silliness and fun that are rarely there in the DC pics. Even a relatively heavy film like the last Avengers movie was willing and able to take the piss at times. DC just don't do that as far as I can tell.

Case in point...Marvel let Taika Watiti work on 'Thor: Ragnarok'...that's how you demonstrate to your audience that it's all one gigantic farcical fantasy.