As a guy who has Scots blood coursing through my veins, who gets misty-eyed when he hears Flower of Scotland, buys every Proclaimers album when released and still thinks they should tour Australia even though he met them at their last gig, thinks the Big Yin Billy Connolly should be made first president of the Hibernian Republic once it throws off the sassenach yoke and has proudly gone commando in a kilt...haggis does not get my sporran excited...nae laddie.

Have to say I love using avjar as a way of adding depth of flavour to soups and casseroles. Now that I can see it has other uses I think I might have to consult the Wanderers Online Balkan Cookery thread :P :P

lol i got plenty of Scottish blood, and the idea of haggis makes my stomach turn :P you sound like a real Scot though :D

That just gave me a thought...an official WSW tartan!!

Hell, I'd wear a Wanderers Kilt every McFarken game I went to!!!

lol no one will ever see me in anything like a kilt thank god :P

Thank God for you that people won't see you in a kilt or thank god for the people they won;t see you in a kilt :D :D

As a guy who has Scots blood coursing through my veins, who gets misty-eyed when he hears Flower of Scotland, buys every Proclaimers album when released and still thinks they should tour Australia even though he met them at their last gig, thinks the Big Yin Billy Connolly should be made first president of the Hibernian Republic once it throws off the sassenach yoke and has proudly gone commando in a kilt...haggis does not get my sporran excited...nae laddie.

Have to say I love using avjar as a way of adding depth of flavour to soups and casseroles. Now that I can see it has other uses I think I might have to consult the Wanderers Online Balkan Cookery thread :P :P

lol i got plenty of Scottish blood, and the idea of haggis makes my stomach turn :P you sound like a real Scot though :D

That just gave me a thought...an official WSW tartan!!

Hell, I'd wear a Wanderers Kilt every McFarken game I went to!!!

lol no one will ever see me in anything like a kilt thank god :P

Thank God for you that people won't see you in a kilt or thank god for the people they won;t see you in a kilt :D :D

lol i actually meant thank god for the people they wont see me in a kilt :P

funny how every thread goes off topic to a food thread and the food thread goes off topic to a clothing thread :P will stop going off topic :D

Hopefully Lady Schaefer and I will be going to the Memhis BBQ Pit this Saturday to see how good their burnt ends, brisket etc is...will be sure to give a full report if it happens...and maybe after the Hubertus Club it could be a place for a Way Out West gathering...

I like the sound of that, plus the football fields are close by as well. Me thinks a few drinks then possibly a drunk kick about....ok maybe not drunk, more fun than normal because fine motor skills are beginning to be less effective kick about...

Edited by Wanderersfan91
Guest ZipGunBop

Hopefully Lady Schaefer and I will be going to the Memhis BBQ Pit this Saturday to see how good their burnt ends, brisket etc is...will be sure to give a full report if it happens...and maybe after the Hubertus Club it could be a place for a Way Out West gathering...

I like the sound of that, plus the football fields are close by as well. Me thinks a few drinks then possibly a drunk kick about....ok maybe not drunk, more fun than normal because fine motor skills are beginning to be less effective kick about...

If everyone on the pitch is falling down drunk, I'm a much better player by comparison.

If your all sober, I'm a witches hat.

Drink up.

Went to Memphis BBQ Pit on York Rd Penrith last night and grabbed some takeaway. Sad to say they had no pulled pork or pulled chicken available (the former absence is criminal) so went for a couple of brisket sandwiches. The meat was very nice if a little fatty (in a proper US BBQ that fat renders down), and the coleslaw was good. Had some cheesey fries as well which were okay if not very crispy. I get the feeling they're still figuring stuff out, and dining in (not the most beautiful eatery I've seen inside) might be the better option.

Edited by ManfredSchaefer

Great review, I hope the owners stick it out and perfect the art of the BBQ.

They have got a way to go yet and as I can only use as a cross-reference what I have seen on TV, but it's a great start. Took Lady Schaefer and some friends from Bathurst there yesterday before Eurovision and had the pulled pork platter. Meat was good if not hot enough, but the sauce made it superlative. And go the Pit Beans...like Baked Beans turbocharged with bacon sauce. Spicy chicken wings were good too.

Anyone know of a good place that does great tasting Chicken wings? Breaded wings that is, like the hot wings at hooters. I love hotwings... But not like the KFC variety...

Tony Roma's has awesome chicken strips, mind you the franchise I went to was in Malaysia, so I'm not sure what the one here in Sydney is like. The only negative is the one here in Sydney is bang in the heart of the city.

Anyone know of a good place that does great tasting Chicken wings? Breaded wings that is, like the hot wings at hooters. I love hotwings... But not like the KFC variety...

Tony Roma's has awesome chicken strips, mind you the franchise I went to was in Malaysia, so I'm not sure what the one here in Sydney is like. The only negative is the one here in Sydney is bang in the heart of the city.

I'm in the city right now. Where abouts is it?

I'm in the city right now. Where abouts is it?

Sussex St 121-123

It is the chicken tenderloin platter

I'll give it a look and report back!

How did it go?

I hope my suggestion wasnt a flop :ninja:

I ended up being so busy at work I didn't get a chance, ended up having something from our own cafe...but it is on the cards

Can't go past the quality vegemite sandwiches here in Wagga :(

Did you know that delis in Wagga sell ham and cheddar cheese?

The world of flavours from 1860s Australia awaits you in Wagga Wagga (Wagga Wagga is Aboriginal for 'Place of Backward Thinkers'). 

I miss Uncles New Lebanese Bakery in Belmore :( My kingdom for some quality zataar.

The world of flavours from 1860s Australia awaits you in Wagga Wagga (Wagga Wagga is Aboriginal for 'Place of Backward Thinkers'). 

I miss Uncles New Lebanese Bakery in Belmore :( My kingdom for some quality zataar.

Hey c'mon Iv had some of the best feeds of my life down in Wagga, there is a particular eatery where  it was 15 minutes of bliss every breakfest, lunch, and dinner where all your worries would be gone until you stepped back outside.

:good:

Edited by Wanderersfan91

Must say Wagga Wagga hasn't got a go to place for the itinerant traveler like some other towns I've been through for something as simple and delicious as a great meat pie or a traditional burger with the lot. Perhaps you know of some hidden gem waggafletcher?

For anyone traveling through Singleton get off the New England Highway and go down the main drag till you see a place called The Chicken Spot. They do an awesome hamburger with the lot that is very much in the old style of cafe and takeaway burgers.

Next week I'll be able to give a report on some really way out west joints...Gilgandra, Bourke, Dunedoo etc...

Must say Wagga Wagga hasn't got a go to place for the itinerant traveler like some other towns I've been through for something as simple and delicious as a great meat pie or a traditional burger with the lot. Perhaps you know of some hidden gem waggafletcher?

For anyone traveling through Singleton get off the New England Highway and go down the main drag till you see a place called The Chicken Spot. They do an awesome hamburger with the lot that is very much in the old style of cafe and takeaway burgers.

Next week I'll be able to give a report on some really way out west joints...Gilgandra, Bourke, Dunedoo etc...

We still have one old fashioned Greek cafe here (Oceanic Cafe). $10 will fill you up to the brim. A $5 bag of chips would feed a family. The same old Greek fella has run the cafe for years.

Most country towns had a Greek cafe. Goulburn had the Paragon, which was famous across the land.

Most, if not all, country towns have Chinese resturants these days. The Chinese at Wagga RSL is as good as you'll get anywhere.

Wagga does not have a deli (unless you count Woolies and Coles), which is poor for a city of ~50,000 people. A two hour drive west to Griffith and there's delis everywhere! Griffith is very much Little Italy.

We still have one old fashioned Greek cafe here (Oceanic Cafe). $10 will fill you up to the brim. A $5 bag of chips would feed a family. The same old Greek fella has run the cafe for years.

Most country towns had a Greek cafe. Goulburn had the Paragon, which was famous across the land.

Most, if not all, country towns have Chinese resturants these days. The Chinese at Wagga RSL is as good as you'll get anywhere.

Wagga does not have a deli (unless you count Woolies and Coles), which is poor for a city of ~50,000 people. A two hour drive west to Griffith and there's delis everywhere! Griffith is very much Little Italy.

Hmmm, where's the Oceanic? I'm going to be dropping by WW later this year and always can do with a local's hint (and I'm getting sick of grabbing a snack from the Maccas near the Hospital on the highway).

As for old style Greek cafes have you been to the Bluebird Cafe in Lockhart recently? I went there about 2 years ago with Lady Schaefer and had probably the best hamburger I've ever had there. I know the old owners have gone and the place was being tarted up...I'd love to hear if it's still of a similar standard.

Griffith leaves me a little underwhelmed...maybe it's because I've never found a decent takeaway or motel when stopping by or staying overnight. The same trip that took me to the Bluebird also got me into Bertoldos which was expensive and frankly bloody ordinary when it came to pasta. Frankly I'd rather wait till I get down to Deniliquin and have a feed at the Coachman Hoey/Moey (get the crumbed lamb cutlets...very nice indeed).

Hmmm, where's the Oceanic? I'm going to be dropping by WW later this year and always can do with a local's hint (and I'm getting sick of grabbing a snack from the Maccas near the Hospital on the highway).

As for old style Greek cafes have you been to the Bluebird Cafe in Lockhart recently? I went there about 2 years ago with Lady Schaefer and had probably the best hamburger I've ever had there. I know the old owners have gone and the place was being tarted up...I'd love to hear if it's still of a similar standard.

Griffith leaves me a little underwhelmed...maybe it's because I've never found a decent takeaway or motel when stopping by or staying overnight. The same trip that took me to the Bluebird also got me into Bertoldos which was expensive and frankly bloody ordinary when it came to pasta. Frankly I'd rather wait till I get down to Deniliquin and have a feed at the Coachman Hoey/Moey (get the crumbed lamb cutlets...very nice indeed).

The Oceanic cafe is located on Morgan St, one block east of the Marketplace Mall (Baylis St).

You will get a good pub feed in Wagga (there are too many pubs to list... Wagga is a drunk's paradise). The Bridge at the very end of Fitzmaurice St does quality steaks (not cheap).

North Wagga has the Palm & Pawn; it's a lowdown stinky old hole, but the feed is great... and cheap.

Last time I was there the North Wagga AFL reserve team was 'celebrating' losing the grand final.

Man, were they pissed (and high). One naked dude was stopping traffic on the main road, jerking his tockley with one hand while swigging from a bottle of JD (straight, not mixed) with the other. I was at the bar and made mention that the guy was a feral. A bloke behind me said "they'll get it out of their system". I turned around and it was Swans legend Paul Kelly (a local fella and real nice bloke). The Palm & Pawn had a 'wash' recently: it was under water along with the rest of North Wagga.

Thought I'd keep this thread alive,

Everyone has a specialty dish they cook up to impress with or cook just because you do it well, what's everyones specialty??

I'll start, when mates are over I try to do the pork shoulder, or ribs as best I can.

Is the Coachman the one across the road from the RSL? I've eaten there, the steaks are great. The RSL food use to be abominal, but new GM has upped his game there. I've found that clubs are often a safe bet for food in the country.

Next time you're in Griffith stay at Centrepoint apartments, it's where I always stay. The food and coffee in Griffith impress the sh1t outta me, so I don't know where you've been eating. The cafe underneath the Centrepoint apartments do amazing corn fritters and bacon for breaky.

Some other regional highlights:

- Back in Denny, Josh's bakehouse does a mean pie.

- Broken Hill, either Royal Exchange or Palace hotels.

- Forster, Reef Bar & Grill

- Howlong, The Kitchen at The Courthouse

- Ulladulla, Thai Kitchen (on the Princes Hwy, deserves a special mention. Best Thai feed I've had outside of Asia)

- Rutherglen, Rutherglen bakery (better croc pie than Fredos)

Great, now I'm hungry again!

march-19-paella-feast-52.jpg

paella is the one dish is like a pizza in the sense that you can make different versions of it, simple but each seperate element needs to be done correctly in order for the finale to be not only presentable but edible.

:good: large quantaties of great food where could you go wrong, throw in a few bottles of spanish wine, and a few san miguels, a party on the coast and for a little while your in hevean.

Back from my wandering out really farking west and have only one recommendation...the Dunedoo Pie shop does a damn decent chili beef pie. If anyone makes it to Bourke the Chinese restaurant in the Bowling Club is about your only option for dinner, though the bakery on the Brewarrina road looks a good venue for lamingtons, cakes and a simple brekky.

Next week...it's the Pacific Pie-Way :) :) :)

Edited by ManfredSchaefer

Took the mrs back to Liverpool hospital today and stopped into the bowling club for a feed off Mrs Lou at the bowling club the best and cheapest Chinese food in Liverpool very close to the station and tafe spent too many lunches and dinners there.

The chef has a 5 star rating in his own country not sure exactly where at can';t understand him that much.

But honestly for a massive plate of fresh cooked chinese feed I highly recommend Liverpool bowling club next to the station.

Average cost is $5 - $8 and you always snag a meat raffle of some sort during the day.

Quiet place and extremely friendly towards all ages if respect is shown.

Oh yeh watch out for the brown bombers the bastards got me for being 4minutes late back to my car!