Jump to content

Recommended Posts

  • 2 weeks later...
On 15/06/2018 at 10:06 PM, Edinburgh said:

After not doing so for years, I've been making porridge for breakfast some mornings - yummmm.

I had porridge this morning...with brown sugar for me, or sometimes a dollop of jam in the middle. Puts hairs on your chest....not that I need any more!

Link to post

Porridge was one of those things that as a kid you ask for even though it's shite just so you can get the nice bit (the spoon of melted brown sugar).

(I still don't mind a bowl of porridge, usually i polish off the kids leftovers as they always overestimate the oats required. Except now i get to put however the **** many brown sugar spoons I want).

 

Link to post
2 hours ago, Smoggy said:

I had porridge this morning...with brown sugar for me, or sometimes a dollop of jam in the middle. Puts hairs on your chest....not that I need any more!

 

1 hour ago, marron said:

Porridge was one of those things that as a kid you ask for even though it's shite just so you can get the nice bit (the spoon of melted brown sugar).

(I still don't mind a bowl of porridge, usually i polish off the kids leftovers as they always overestimate the oats required. Except now i get to put however the **** many brown sugar spoons I want).

 

That's no how you make porridge!

Oats, water, salt, mix, heat/cook, serve, add more salt if necessary, a drop of milk, eat.

And what's with the instructions - one cup of oats serves 3? That's just enough for me.

I still have difficulty dealing with the memory from my first scout camp in 1960 when they made porridge and added sugar!

Excuse me, I  need some medication.

Link to post
26 minutes ago, Edinburgh said:

 

That's no how you make porridge!

Oats, water, salt, mix, heat/cook, serve, add more salt if necessary, a drop of milk, eat.

And what's with the instructions - one cup of oats serves 3? That's just enough for me.

I still have difficulty dealing with the memory from my first scout camp in 1960 when they made porridge and added sugar!

Excuse me, I  need some medication.

Geez Pops, back when you were in the Scouts , did you meet Burke n Wills? 

:P

Link to post
1 hour ago, Edinburgh said:

 

That's no how you make porridge!

Oats, water, salt, mix, heat/cook, serve, add more salt if necessary, a drop of milk, eat.

And what's with the instructions - one cup of oats serves 3? That's just enough for me.

I still have difficulty dealing with the memory from my first scout camp in 1960 when they made porridge and added sugar!

Excuse me, I  need some medication.

Yeah, i know a few Scots that put salt on their porridge. The blokes love their special salty white porridge up in Scotland.

Edited by Smoggy
Link to post
20 minutes ago, Smoggy said:

Yeah, i know a few Scots that put salt on their porridge. The blokes love their special salty white porridge up in Scotland.

Our mum also put a small bit of salt in porridge while it was cooking.just a pinch, no more than that. I loved it with warm milk and honey and sliced banana's.

Link to post
29 minutes ago, sonar said:

Our mum also put a small bit of salt in porridge while it was cooking.just a pinch, no more than that. I loved it with warm milk and honey and sliced banana's.

Sliced banana's in porridge...you ******* monster....!

Link to post

I've recently bought a box of those super quick porridge packs...with things added...eg almond slivers and cinnamon.

Just add milk...microwave.

The only problem is... it has sugar added...and it's a tad too sweet for me.

Yummy...but I couldn't eat it with sugar or honey as I did as a kid.

Having said that...I certainly couldn't eat it salty either. 

 

Link to post
1 minute ago, wendybr said:

I've recently bought a box of those super quick porridge packs...with things added...eg almond slivers and cinnamon.

Just add milk...microwave.

The only problem is... it has sugar added...and it's a tad too sweet for me.

Yummy...but I certainly couldn't eat it with sugar or honey as I did as a kid.

Having said that...I certainly couldn't eat it salty either. 

 

Yeah, you either like salty porridge or you don't, no inbetween......

Link to post
21 hours ago, wendybr said:

I've recently bought a box of those super quick porridge packs...with things added...eg almond slivers and cinnamon.

Just add milk...microwave.

The only problem is... it has sugar added...and it's a tad too sweet for me.

Yummy...but I couldn't eat it with sugar or honey as I did as a kid.

Having said that...I certainly couldn't eat it salty either. 

 

That's no how you make porridge!

Link to post

I don't know what's traditional about cooking porridge. I only know what I grew up with and what I do now (which may be different?).  How much is a pinch of salt? I add 3 or 4 shakes into my hand. If it's too much - oops. If it's not enough add more after serving.

Link to post
On 6/18/2018 at 7:39 PM, Wanderboy said:

Many cheeses are salty and made from milk.

And, they're so tasty!! "Just sayin".

Agreed.

But that's different...to eating porridge with Ed's handful of salt...and milk poured over it.:bad:

Assuming he pours milk on it???

I honestly can't imagine it.

Link to post
12 hours ago, wendybr said:

Agreed.

But that's different...to eating porridge with Ed's handful of salt...and milk poured over it.:bad:

Assuming he pours milk on it???

I honestly can't imagine it.

Salty porridge is how the Scots traditionally have it....

Which is quite surprising given their tendancy to smother everything in sugar...even deep frying chocolate bars....

By the way...in Middlesbrough 'salty porridge' is a euphemism :D Which makes reading back this thread quite amusing in a chidish ****er kinda way lol

 

Edited by Smoggy
Link to post
14 hours ago, wendybr said:

Agreed.

But that's different...to eating porridge with Ed's handful of salt...and milk poured over it.:bad:

Assuming he pours milk on it???

I honestly can't imagine it.

Yes I add a little bit of milk.  I dont use a handful of salt - probably more like 4 pinches of salt.

Besides at this stage of life a bit of extra preservative doesn't go astray.

Link to post
  • 2 weeks later...

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...