The Tassie chards have got their own "flavour profile" thanks to the water, might be a bit different to what you're used to.

3 hours ago, Carns said:

The Tassie chards have got their own "flavour profile" thanks to the water, might be a bit different to what you're used to.

Nope not not Tassie wine..had the Tassie whisky which is VERY VERY good. Will keep a look out for the wine.

today is the perfect day for fruit salad, screw the heat but watermelon, grapes and rockmelon are great(unless its got Listeria then it sucks)

Started making our own pasta , gnocchi , sauce and bread!  ....well , the Mrs does , I just eat it !  :D

EAD Coronavirus!  

I got Lupini!  :woah:

Eyeties will understand

33 minutes ago, JackDoff said:

I got Lupini!  :woah:

Eyeties will understand

Make you fart?

17 minutes ago, Smoggy said:

Make you fart?

Nahhh!

Been trying a wide range of beef jerky lately as it seems that's one of the items that's always available in all the supermarkets during this current event. I was really disappointed with Woolies own brand Beef Jerky, it was horrible.

Jerky is supposed to be dried meat but their one was chewy, had a weird slime feel to it, horrible stuff. 

Probably the best jerky I ever got was from these guys while at the easter show a few years ago: https://www.thejerkyshop.com.au/

Posted (edited)

Site needs more food info.

Cooking beef cheeks in slow cooker for 5 hrs today in ragu sauce..(celery, onion, garlic and some bacon strips)...smells good already.

Meat should fall apart by time done....I like  winter cooking..

Warmingandfillingtastic..

Edited by Smoggy

Going to try this......

I NEVER post here...but...

Last night I was at a pizza restaurant/Italian restaurant, and was gobsmacked to watch a group of about 8 young women at a nearby table.

When their food arrived, they spent AT LEAST 10 MINUTES (no exaggeration I promise you) photographing their food when it was placed on the table.

Initially they all leapt to their feet to take their pics.

And THEN, they stood on their chairs to get better elevation.

It was truly bizarre!

When the waitress returned to our table, I asked if this was common.

The waitress then told us they were a group of "vegan food  bloggers" who were there to sample the new vegan items on the menu.

This world is crazy.

On 15/10/2020 at 1:39 PM, sonar said:

Going to try this......

I have had to give up egg, or at least not eat so much. I was eating things like scrambled egg, fried eggs and eggs other ways for breakfast out and about and was feeling increasingly nauseous afterwards, getting steadily worse over time, turns out I have an allergy, which is another to add to hay fever lol 

Meh...eggs are shyte for fella's prostates as they age anyway and so doesn't bother me, I can live without. And eggs in cake affect me a little but not as bad as on their own. Even thinking  about scrambled egg I am like :bad:

So does anyone here have one of these air fryers?

The wife keeps on whittering on about getting one, but just think it will be yet another useless kitchen item she buys and never uses...

Supposed to be healthy and can do lots...just not sure.....

41 minutes ago, Smoggy said:

The wife keeps on whittering on about getting one, but just think it will be yet another useless kitchen item she buys and never uses...

Que?

3 hours ago, Smoggy said:

Mate, I bought one about 3 months ago. I knew nothing about them, nor how to cook in them.

My first attempt was a nice slab of pork Belly. I scored the skin and rubbed a little oil and lots of salt into it.

Fair dinkum, I was shocked. 25 - 30 mins later and I had the juiciest piece of pork with the best crackling ever. I was sold there and then. I removed the pork and placed it in a warm oven uncovered for about 15 minutes.(about 80 C). In that time, I did carrots, potatoes and pumpkin, sprayed with a bit of spray oil, in the air fryer. Yep, 15 mins for all the veg. In the meantime I had boiled some peas and corn cobs. 10 mins prep and 40-45 mins cooking time for a perfect roast pork dinner that would normally take at least 2 hrs in an oven and make a **** load of mess of the oven. The air fryer is so easy to clean.

I've since done a roast chook and that was equally perfectly cooked. Also done chops, sausages, etc..... I would still do steaks on the BBQ though.

Bacon is easy in the fryer, and it does things like chips, wedges perfectly, and quickly.

I couldn't recommend one more. Just make sure it is big enough to easily fit a large chook in. A lot of the fryers I looked at were quite small. I paid $79 at K-Mart.

Bargain.

14 minutes ago, Wanderboy said:

Mate, I bought one about 3 months ago. I knew nothing about them, nor how to cook in them.

My first attempt was a nice slab of pork Belly. I scored the skin and rubbed a little oil and lots of salt into it.

Fair dinkum, I was shocked. 25 - 30 mins later and I had the juiciest piece of pork with the best crackling ever. I was sold there and then. I removed the pork and placed it in a warm oven uncovered for about 15 minutes.(about 80 C). In that time, I did carrots, potatoes and pumpkin, sprayed with a bit of spray oil, in the air fryer. Yep, 15 mins for all the veg. In the meantime I had boiled some peas and corn cobs. 10 mins prep and 40-45 mins cooking time for a perfect roast pork dinner that would normally take at least 2 hrs in an oven and make a **** load of mess of the oven. The air fryer is so easy to clean.

I've since done a roast chook and that was equally perfectly cooked. Also done chops, sausages, etc..... I would still do steaks on the BBQ though.

Bacon is easy in the fryer, and it does things like chips, wedges perfectly, and quickly.

I couldn't recommend one more. Just make sure it is big enough to easily fit a large chook in. A lot of the fryers I looked at were quite small. I paid $79 at K-Mart.

Bargain.

Cheers mate, interesting that you think they are worth it.

We were looking at some priced under $100 in BigW yesterday, some quite small. You can pay from around $80 mark up towards $500 it seems. Looking to cut down on cooking oils, frying pans and oven cleaning and so perhaps the way to go.

Thanks!

Edited by Smoggy

2 hours ago, Smoggy said:

Cheers mate, interesting that you think they are worth it.

We were looking at some priced under $100 in BigW yesterday, some quite small. You can pay from around $80 mark up towards $500 it seems. Looking to cut down on cooking oils, frying pans and oven cleaning and so perhaps the way to go.

Thanks!

I bought the ex a 5 litre one for $99 from K-Mart but I'm not sure if they stock them any more.

5 litre size is good for a family and will certainly fit a roast chook in.

Mine is 3.4 litres and is only just ok for 1 person.

Edited by Wanderboy

8 minutes ago, Wanderboy said:

I bought the ex a 5 litre one for $99 from K-Mart but I'm not sure if they stock them any more.

5 litre size is good for a family and will certainly fit a roast chook in.

Mine is 3.4 litres and is only just ok for 1 person.

Sounds good. Will have to check out some more. Looking to remove all cooking oil from cooking..

16 minutes ago, Smoggy said:

Sounds good. Will have to check out some more. Looking to remove all cooking oil from cooking..

Spray oil is light and still works well to brown up some of the cooking. It's ok to use it very lightly. 

It pretty much all ends up in the bottom of the air fryer anyway, but it manages to just slightly assist in nicely browning and crisping the ingredients. Butter could be another option but I'm guessing that is a no go as well?

This is the benefit of the air fryer. Food is cooked dryer, and quicker, so doesn't lose its moisture of flavor, and it doesn't absorb the oils like shallow or deep frying does.

Yet, it (almost) tastes just as good.

Edited by Wanderboy