ALCOHOL!

A lot of European beers have been brewed here for a while. That's why you will find a lot of them are even cheaper than VB at the bottleshop. Problem is that it doesn't taste as good as the water and conditions here are different. I prefer the European version and will pay extra to get that.

I can get proper imported Becks and Heineken for cheaper than the inferior Australian brewed sewer water; which is produced by the major brewers under licence. The beauty of a high Australian dollar.

I refuse to drink the Aussie stuff as it is unworthy of its name.

$20 shnapps from aldi, yahoo !!

Must be 'orrible

Don't be too sure of that. Aldi do a reasonable job of sourcing alternate booze that mirrors major brands (I recall their Jagdbitters was not too bad as a knock off of Jagermeister).

A lot of European beers have been brewed here for a while. That's why you will find a lot of them are even cheaper than VB at the bottleshop. Problem is that it doesn't taste as good as the water and conditions here are different. I prefer the European version and will pay extra to get that.

I can get proper imported Becks and Heineken for cheaper than the inferior Australian brewed sewer water; which is produced by the major brewers under licence. The beauty of a high Australian dollar.

I refuse to drink the Aussie stuff as it is unworthy of its name.

Refuse to drink any of those 'foreign' but local beers...like Heineken, Becks, Stella etc

By the way, anyone know a place where I can lay my hands on some West End? Been ages since I had any and I need a reminder of how bad it was lol...

Edited by ManfredSchaefer
  • 1 month later...
Guest ZipGunBop

Anyone see the "Tap King" advertised at Liqourland?

I can recommend it for the "beer enjoyer". It basically works like a mini-keg.

I've only had the Golden Ale one, but taste is superb. (Pauses for another sip, ahhh).

Taste is alot better than the bottle. Little bit more expensive (roughly 16-20 schooners from a twin pack for around $50), but worth it if your having a beer or two over dinner etc.

Anyone see the "Tap King" advertised at Liqourland?

I can recommend it for the "beer enjoyer". It basically works like a mini-keg.

I've only had the Golden Ale one, but taste is superb. (Pauses for another sip, ahhh).

Taste is alot better than the bottle. Little bit more expensive (roughly 16-20 schooners from a twin pack for around $50), but worth it if your having a beer or two over dinner etc.

Time of post: 3:49.. AM

Guest ZipGunBop

Anyone see the "Tap King" advertised at Liqourland?I can recommend it for the "beer enjoyer". It basically works like a mini-keg.I've only had the Golden Ale one, but taste is superb. (Pauses for another sip, ahhh).Taste is alot better than the bottle. Little bit more expensive (roughly 16-20 schooners from a twin pack for around $50), but worth it if your having a beer or two over dinner etc.

Time of post: 3:49.. AM

The hours I keep are irregular.

How the hell did I not see this thread earlier....I am the resident drunk.

1stly, I actually was involved in the sample run of TAP KING last year (still got the prototype) and the system was crap then. Hope they took my constructive feedback onboard. I didn't earn those hangovers for nothing.

1. I'm a beerman. I drink XXXX as my day to day coz I can have a few without getting too drunk or hungover. Plus you can't get KB anymore!

2. Special occasion I'll crack a James Squire 150 lashes or Golden Ale.

3. I love a Drambui once the night is getting on, or a decent Scotch.

4. Red wine. I enjoy it, but geez it gets me crook. So I stay away from it. Last time I had some I fell over in the backyard and glassed myself. A week later I was still picking shards out of my arm.

Got a mate down here who distills his own spirits (Goulburn Moonshine FTW). Holy sheet, the stuff would strip paint, gives you a filthy hangover but taste pretty bloody good. 

ATP, you'd like it, it's his version of Wild Turkey American Honey.

How the hell did I not see this thread earlier....I am the resident drunk.

1stly, I actually was involved in the sample run of TAP KING last year (still got the prototype) and the system was crap then. Hope they took my constructive feedback onboard. I didn't earn those hangovers for nothing.

1. I'm a beerman. I drink XXXX as my day to day coz I can have a few without getting too drunk or hungover. Plus you can't get KB anymore!

2. Special occasion I'll crack a James Squire 150 lashes or Golden Ale.

3. I love a Drambui once the night is getting on, or a decent Scotch.

4. Red wine. I enjoy it, but geez it gets me crook. So I stay away from it. Last time I had some I fell over in the backyard and glassed myself. A week later I was still picking shards out of my arm.

5. I sneak drinks into "alcohol free" venues.

Got a mate down here who distills his own spirits (Goulburn Moonshine FTW). Holy sheet, the stuff would strip paint, gives you a filthy hangover but taste pretty bloody good. 

ATP, you'd like it, it's his version of Wild Turkey American Honey.

Fixed...

I'm pretty easy to spot on the terrace or at the Woolie. Look for the bloke in the bonds singlet!

Actually, you looked a lot more schmick last time I saw you in Canberra. Pretty sure you used product on your hair too..!   

...and not any of that 'something about mary' product either.  :rofl:

Guest ZipGunBop

A debate I have with my mates all of the time, Corona's yes or no? I say yes, but only on a super hot day and it has to be almost frozen cold

Lemon or Lime or naked?

Guest ZipGunBop

A debate I have with my mates all of the time, Corona's yes or no? I say yes, but only on a super hot day and it has to be almost frozen cold

Lemon or Lime or naked?
Lemon

Couple of my mates have it with lime. I used to say "it must be a $hit beer if you need to chuck fruit in it". Then I had one, ok, not bad.

Like you said tho, hot day, Ice cold. It's a nice light one. Doesn't sit too heavy in your guts. XXXX summer is a good cheaper alternative.

• 2 months later...

At my local bottlo I found James squire 150 lashes pale ale in 568ml bottles (size of a pint)

2 for $8, freaken awesome

At my local bottlo I found James squire 150 lashes pale ale in 568ml bottles (size of a pint)

2 for $8, freaken awesome

Sounds like a bargain. Enjoy.

Beer, wine or spirits? Beer

Favourite beer for a long night out? Usually a megaswill like Carlton or Tooheys New because I'm lazy and it's cheap and available.

Favourite beer for a celebration? McLaren Vale - Ale or Lager.

Preferred spirit? Gin or Vodka.

Least favourite drink? I went a bit overboard on rum and bourbon in younger years so I now steer clear of dark spirits. And Black Sambucca.

If I could recommend a drink to you guys (& gals) it would definitely be the McLaren Vale beer offerings. There's an Ale and Lager to suit your preference and they are absolutely delicious. Also 4 Pines Kolsch (Brewed in Manly) is refreshing and different if you're planning on one or two drinks, it's not great for a full night out and is best enjoyed in warmer weather.

Beer, wine or spirits? Beer

Favourite beer for a long night out? Usually a megaswill like Carlton or Tooheys New because I'm lazy and it's cheap and available.

Favourite beer for a celebration? McLaren Vale - Ale or Lager.

Preferred spirit? Gin or Vodka.

Least favourite drink? I went a bit overboard on rum and bourbon in younger years so I now steer clear of dark spirits. And Black Sambucca.

If I could recommend a drink to you guys (& gals) it would definitely be the McLaren Vale beer offerings. There's an Ale and Lager to suit your preference and they are absolutely delicious. Also 4 Pines Kolsch (Brewed in Manly) is refreshing and different if you're planning on one or two drinks, it's not great for a full night out and is best enjoyed in warmer weather.

Ah...another fan of Koln's native drop. Such a shame there are all those uncouth sippers out there drowning themselves in XXXX Summer Gold piss when the best beer to drink if on the tipple is a Kolsch. 4 Pines is very decent indeed.

Beer, wine or spirits? Beer Favourite beer for a long night out? Usually a megaswill like Carlton or Tooheys New because I'm lazy and it's cheap and available. Favourite beer for a celebration? McLaren Vale - Ale or Lager.  Preferred spirit? Gin or Vodka. Least favourite drink? I went a bit overboard on rum and bourbon in younger years so I now steer clear of dark spirits. And Black Sambucca. If I could recommend a drink to you guys (& gals) it would definitely be the McLaren Vale beer offerings. There's an Ale and Lager to suit your preference and they are absolutely delicious. Also 4 Pines Kolsch (Brewed in Manly) is refreshing and different if you're planning on one or two drinks, it's not great for a full night out and is best enjoyed in warmer weather.

Might have to give McLaren Vale Ale I try. I love ales. My fav Aussie ale is little creatures. It's just about the only good Aussie ale I've tried. The rest don't even taste like ales.

I don't like sprits much but now have a revived interest in single malts. The Balvenie is the culprit there.

Contributing.

Beer, wine or spirits? Usually beer. 

Favourite beer for a long night out? Carlton Draught. But me being indecisive as f*ck I'd probably try the other beers on tap.

Favourite beer for a celebration? Whichever beer is available. LOL. 

Preferred spirit? Depends really. Sometimes Scotch (Preferably Red Label), or Vodka or Tequila.

Least favourite drink? Rum.

And an extra bit: my favourite beer in the world is from the Philippines. San Miguel Pale Pilsen 

Well it's been ages since someone posted here but I'll just add my fav beers at the moment:

Sierra Nevada pale ale

Little creatures pale ale

Weinstephaner hefe weissbier

Having a wein hefe as I write this now. Gorgeous wheat beer.

I'm fan of the hefeweizen myself. Usually drink Schofferhofer, Schneider weiss, Leffe, Hoegaarden and the like.

A bit exxy though but the local bottle shop has started getting Lander Brau Weissbeer in and its only $35 a case... I stocked up.. :-)

Ah...another fan of Koln's native drop. Such a shame there are all those uncouth sippers out there drowning themselves in XXXX Summer Gold piss when the best beer to drink if on the tipple is a Kolsch. 4 Pines is very decent indeed.

Absolutely, but it can be prohibitively expensive on tap, not too certain on the cost in bottle shops. The bar I was working at in Nth Syd charged around $7.50 for a schooner. That said, compared to XXXX Summer Gold or Coronas, it's worth every penny.

Might have to give McLaren Vale Ale I try. I love ales. My fav Aussie ale is little creatures. It's just about the only good Aussie ale I've tried. The rest don't even taste like ales.

I don't like sprits much but now have a revived interest in single malts. The Balvenie is the culprit there.

The McLaren Vale offerings are a little sweet, but not in an uncomfortable way. The Ale is good and heavy, very smooth.

I regularly hear good things about single malts, so I may yet become a whiskey appreciator. Which region is Balvenie from?