La Banda

wish i could play an instrument. i have time on my side though :D might join La Banda in 10 years haha. I'll get back to you :P

go on hammer start learning the trumpet already. won't take 10 years i promise! :D

I still can't find my ****ing trumpet in the house. If I can find it does La Banda want someone who last played when he was 8?

I played trumpet at school in 1987, I went to one proper lesson but after about 10 minutes I went out and vomited and never went to a lesson again. I mucked around with it through high school but was not doing it right (and am still not doing it right). I hadn't picked up the trumpet properly since 1990 until this year when I started bringing it to games. So, basically I started from scratch. The other two guys are pretty much in a simliar boat with either limited playing time, or not having played it for many years. So, you would fit right in. As a matter of fact you might be the most experienced. Trumpets' sound waves are directional so the more the better as they are difficult to hear unless you are in front of them. The more we have the more directions we can cover, and the more rest we can get.

+1. I didn't have the vomiting :lol: but the last time I picked it up for more than 10 minutes before I rocked up at the derby was over 10 years ago. So 20 years , 10 years... Jamcal I know you are young, I'd say you had the most recent experience :lol:

More trumpets = more ability for people to hear the real tune of some of the chants.

Gotta say massive respect to LaBanda. I love these stories of picking up instruments after many years of not playing/little experience.

When comparing the popularity of various clubs, some try to look at plain statistics. But what's harder to measure is enthusiasm, ground up excitement. I love seeing all the home made banners and flags, all the youtube tributes, graphic designs pouring out from our fans. You guys in LaBanda are another great example of this authenticity, and can I just say you sound great!

I'm trying to push for a triangle and a cowbell. So far, success has been non existent :(

I'm telling ya, i'm really feeling the cowbell. Fellas. I've got a fever... And the only prescription, is more cowbell. 

Needs more brass though.

Bugles seem easy enough - no valves to worry about. Not sure if they'd be loud enough though.

A few trombones on ebay... from now to October is enough time to learn it, right? (not sure if my wife would appreciate it!)

Edited by Kitto

Bugles are in one key and only play selected notes (think all the notes in the last post). Might not be so useful.

Trombones you need to have a pretty good ear for pitch because as you adjust the slide you have to hit exactly the right spot. On top of that, you'd be on your own As far as help goes, not sure if anyone knows the slide positions in la Banda. You can get valve ones though although I can't remember if it's the same fingering as trumpet.

I haven't checked prices but a flugelhorn is s lovely instrument That might offer some tonal variety :lol:

This is true :lol:

Most of the time it'd probably just be clocking you just by standing in front of it though... :lol:

And I think i would still take trombone slide over drumstick....

Edited by ciudadmarron

i play the didg

on nearly 10 years now .....the original wood instrument 

i have a massive bell which would sound wicked with a bit of amp but would get drowned out in a crowd without 

not nominating myself at all but i reckon a didg would be great with la banda 

Btw there is a trombone going for a tenner on eBay atm....

Otherwise all those instruments (flugelhorn trombone and valve trombone) can be picked up for 150 bargains to 350 by the look of it and valve instruments are in b flat which makes life easy as the trumpets are the same.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi people thanks for the responses and feedback! i'm also a league supporter so i've been hung up with this whilst the A League was on off season. I have done the whole deal with putting my name down to become a member. My mum knows someone in the RBB (la banda i believe as the play the drums). I wasn't too clued up with how all this works but it's been something i've been keen to be part of for a while. When i was younger i used to go to the league games and take my drum but that got banned about 4 years ago in league.

to those who responded about me playing the trumpet, unfortunately i don't know how to...but i'd be keen to learn. I am pretty handy with the drums but you guys say you already have this area filled.  I've been to a few Primera Division games in Argentina (Boca, in the non active area) and San Lorenzo (in the barra brava/active section) and i can say in all honesty the RBB holds it's own agains these, and chant wise is a lot more creative.

I'm looking at becoming an RBB section member. Maybe i should come along and chant, get to know you guys then go from there. It sucks i'm super far away from any main city, so i probably would only go to the Sydney, or Melbourne based games (i'm a little closer to melboure), i live in Griffith NSW currently. i am 6.5 hrs away from sydney and 5.5 from melbs.

PS i'll post some vids of the primera division cheering soon. :)

• 1 month later...

Yes to trombone! Adds another layer to our brass sound. Also, you can adjust your slide to hit some supporters not singing. Useful thing to have! Hahahaha

you do know there are restrictions on how many instruments we are allowed?

we cant just keep adding for the sake of it

at this point in time instruments are capped at 10 instruments

Yes to trombone! Adds another layer to our brass sound. Also, you can adjust your slide to hit some supporters not singing. Useful thing to have! Hahahaha

Just adding for the benefit of the new people on the forum to clarify that it is a restriction placed on us the by stadium security.

Just adding for the benefit of the new people on the forum to clarify that it is a restriction placed on us the by stadium security.

Stadium security? lol.

Nasty weapons, those trombones.

Yeah I figured that haha all good though!