Upgrade Parramatta Stadium Alliance/Lobbying

Not sure who the chap is that started this thread, but I'm both a WSW member and an eels member. The current board of the eels do not want to move to ANZ. In fact, they signed a new 5 year deal at Parramatta Stadium last November.

http://www.parramattastadium.com.au/media-release-eels-commit-to-five-year-stadium-deal

if you check the title of the thread, underneath it says who started the topic, the date and the time.

glad i could help.

Not sure who the chap is that started this thread, but I'm both a WSW member and an eels member. The current board of the eels do not want to move to ANZ. In fact, they signed a new 5 year deal at Parramatta Stadium last November.http://www.parramattastadium.com.au/media-release-eels-commit-to-five-year-stadium-deal

if you check the title of the thread, underneath it says who started the topic, the date and the time.

glad i could help.

Thanks scoop.

Glad to read the link you provided Dalison. I am still cautious about the Eels hierarchy and their intentions, however. The agreement referred to only concerns the 'majority' of games, and the still valid agreement about a minimum of three Parramatta home games at ANZ per season (usually Souths, 'dogs and one other) still stands. Remember last year it was actually 4 when they transferred the St. George game there at late notice.

So vigilance is required among Eels fans to ensure they stay at Parra. And if both clubs are to get this upgrade happening, I would think the Eels need to play all of their games there, no exceptions. Their board needs to stand behind their fans in the same way Lyall Gorman did for WSW.

Don't you think it would be better if we fill out parramatta stadium first like Lyall Gorman said

and when week in week out poeple are complaining about missing out on tickets then we can have a strong argument for a FOOTBALL only stadium just for the wanderers

This is not unrealistic if we are in fact filling it out week in week out.

also do not be convinced with the EELS goals of 40 000 members, they have been around for many decades folks what is it like 60 plus years............. if they haven't got that number by now they never will so they cannot sit there and say its not fair WSW have their own stadium when we actually fill it up there is no complaints

It is unrealistic. The current NSW Stadia strategy has a few key elements that we need to be aware of. Firstly any future development or redeveloment of stadiums in Western Sydney must have multi use purposes! This ensures the greatest return for the Government. They don't want to have a stadium that returns no revenue for a large portion of the year.

Secondly the Stadia Strategy makes it clear that only currently Government owned stadiums will receive future funding and not privately or council owned grounds. This basically counts Penrith Stadium out of the equation.

The frontrunner for a stadium upgrade right now (IMO) is for the Eels to move to ANZ and due to it's multiple occupancy (Rabbitohs, Tigers, Dogs and Eels) it would get an upgrade of an enclosed roof. This is what I believe the NRL and the clubs involved are aiming for.

Not sure who the chap is that started this thread, but I'm both a WSW member and an eels member. The current board of the eels do not want to move to ANZ. In fact, they signed a new 5 year deal at Parramatta Stadium last November.

http://www.parramattastadium.com.au/media-release-eels-commit-to-five-year-stadium-deal

The current deal with the Eels is not for 5 years at all. It is a minimum of 6 games per year (as it is with this year) for 3 years with an option in the clubs favour to move more games away from Parramatta Stadium for the last 2. That is all the Eels are locked into.

If the current trend continues I can see the Eels moving to ANZ for the majority of the season with only a couple being played at Parramatta and the Wanderers staying on as the major tenant. The problem for us as Wanderers fans is that we will miss out on any opportunity to get the Stadium upgraded. There is no way we will not be affected in the future if we are restricted indefinately to a stadium that only holds 20 000.

5 years or 3 years Tony, they still committed. The option in the clubs favour to move away, if that is right, is actually a good thing when it comes to possible stadium upgrades.

Parramatta Stadium is a state owned stadium. The club is in a strong negotiating position. As are the Wanderers.

The prospect of losing a tenant wold not go down very well at all.

5 years or 3 years Tony, they still committed. The option in the clubs favour to move away, if that is right, is actually a good thing when it comes to possible stadium upgrades.

Parramatta Stadium is a state owned stadium. The club is in a strong negotiating position. As are the Wanderers.

I don't think the state government will have their hand forced by a tenant (eels) that's slowly walking away.

Bureaucracy doesn't work like that.

The more the stadium is used the better the chance of an upgrade imo.

Yes they are committed but the trend is for them to commit to less and less games at Parramatta Stadium irrespective of the wishes of their members. The current board (a few developers in the mix) are determined to develop a centre of excellence with Parramatta Gaol a possible site. The Stadium Strategy would include improved training facilities which would negate the need for the Eels to have a centre of excellence down the road.

The club has also been lobbying for a few years to buy the carpark from the Park Trust and build a multilevel carpark next to the leagues club among other things.

All of this would require a great deal of funds and the easiest way for the Eels to increase their revenue is to take more of their home games to ANZ.

Both clubs are in an excellent position to see Parramatta Stadium get an upgrade but whether they have the will to do it is another story. It's up to us the fans to keep the pressure on and have our voices heard.

The fiscal cycle for future funding ends around October so we need to start lobbying now if we want to secure anything within the next few years.

Edited by TonyAnstee

As you may have read in the other thread we had a general meeting for the Upgrade Parramatta Stadium Alliance. It was decided that the best place to run future meetings would be at the Woolpack during the A league season and at Parramatta Leagues Club during the NRL season. This way there is no bias towards one club or the other as the goal is to see equal participation between both groups of supporters.

I don't think the state government will have their hand forced by a tenant (eels) that's slowly walking away.

Politics does works that way.

Threatened with a white elephant stadium at Parramatta would see local politicians putting pressure on their respective governments to stump up cash.

The cold hard reality though is thers no cash for it. Private money is needed. I'd be surprised if there was an commitment prior to the next state election. Hope I'm wrong, but that's wha I reckon we're looking at.

Politics does works that way.

Threatened with a white elephant stadium at Parramatta would see local politicians putting pressure on their respective governments to stump up cash.

The cold hard reality though is thers no cash for it. Private money is needed. I'd be surprised if there was an commitment prior to the next state election. Hope I'm wrong, but that's wha I reckon we're looking at.

I disagree.

Money follows people.

Politicians do not pump money into a resource that has diminishing usage.

Built from scratch right?

Construction cost € 50 million

about 65 million AUD from the ground up?

Not bad. 

Capacity 32,960

27,250 (for international games)

yh i think it was built from scratch, was made to replace the old stadium (old tivoli capacity = 21,000) which they had out grown

kind of sounds like the situation the wanderers are in

Coincidence... I think not

New Tivoli stadium in germany,  capacity of 32,960

just make the seats red and black and its perfect

also wish that our terrace was like that

800px-Aachen%2C_Neuer_Tivoli%2C_innen.jp

This is one of the best I have seen so far! :good:

I cant see any government state or federal spending cash on stadiums for some time...between freeway links, public transport upgrades and the rest of the election promises...I think it may be a few years yet. depends on what sort of corporate interest we can generate...but that will go quickly by the way side unless we as a supporter group dont sort our **** out with the toss bag factor... money will just fly out the door im afraid...but we can dream big in the mean time..I want to vomit looking at that YELLOW though..too CCM.. 

Fantastic news, the Parra LC board have been voted out, this is hugely positive for the chances of an upgrade to the stadium. Huzzah!

Parrafirst ran with a policy of keeping the Eels home games at Parra Stadium. On their facebook group they also supported the Upgrade Parramatta Stadium Alliance. This is good news for all of us.

Parrafirst also had Pierre Esber who is a Parramatta City Councilor and deputy Lord Mayor, as well as Chiang Lim a former deputy Lord Mayor and Councilor both running on their ticket. Chiang Lim was one of those elected.