Upgrade Parramatta Stadium Alliance/Lobbying

would it be possible to lower the pitch even further and add a couple more rows of seats to bring you even closer to the sideline?

on the western side you could just cut out where the dugout/benches would be.

i have a shovel.....

I like this.

:smurfpoint: get your own shovel

:smurfnono:  Why can't i borrow yours :o

would it be possible to lower the pitch even further and add a couple more rows of seats to bring you even closer to the sideline?

i have a shovel.....

I like this.

:smurfpoint: get your own shovel

:smurfnono:  Why can't i borrow yours :o

are you willing to get your forum-moderating hands dirty? :D

i reckon half the dirt could go down nathan hindmarsh's butt crack :crazy:

i have a shovel.....

tumblrmd4xcvrqgf1qz9e2a.jpg

On a bit of a side note, can someone please explain why the a-league uses bloody plastic bunning chairs as their bench?

i have a shovel.....

I like this.

Can someone explain to me why the a-league does not have any proper dugouts, I have never understood this.

Worst is when its raining, they are just sitting in the rain with umbrellas.

All the old NSL grounds always provided for a covered bench, we even had it back in park junior soccer all those years ago.

On a bit of a side note, can someone please explain why the a-league uses bloody plastic bunning chairs as their bench?

i have a shovel.....

I like this.

Can someone explain to me why the a-league does not have any proper dugouts, I have never understood this.

All the old NSL grounds always provided for a covered bench, we even had it back in park junior soccer all those years ago.

1. we are supposed to be getting proper dugouts for the Asian cup in 2015

2. its ******* hilarious watching Graham Arnold try to use an umbrella in the wind - duh

i have a shovel.....

I like this.

2. its ****ing hilarious watching Graham Arnold try to use an umbrella in the wind - duh

1. Next year we will be getting them - in preparation for the Asian Cup.

2. This is true.

i have a shovel.....

I like this.

2. its ****ing hilarious watching Graham Arnold try to use an umbrella in the wind - duh

2. This is true.

But why haven't we had them in the first place?

Surely in 8 seasons someone would of realised that something is right not here....

But it seems like most if not all Aussie sports are like this.

i have a shovel.....

I like this.

2. This is true.

But why haven't we had them in the first place?

Surely in 8 seasons someone would of realised that something is right not here....

But it seems like most if not all Aussie sports are like this.

Necessity ... start of the A-League we would have had to spend on only the necessary items. The dugouts would have been seen as an aesthetic thing, and not a major issue. 

Are we still getting that expensive goal line technology as well.Remember hearing about it some were on here

If it's the Hawk Eye system they were looking at I don't see why they couldn't implement it. For those unfamiliar with how the system works they explain it on their website but it basically uses several fixed cameras to track the ball.

It's an expensive system but considering that pretty much every ground the A-League uses is shared with NRL/AFL/Rugby they could share the costs between the different codes. I'm sure they would be interested in using it as well, maybe not for the match officials but the broadcasters would definitely be interested the possibilities it presents. The tennis and cricket use it to help with LBW/line calls but the broadcasters use it whenever anything interesting happens and other football codes could do the same thing.

Imagine being able to plot the path of Ono's chip in the semi against Brisbane, the AFL showing the path of the ball towards the goal or tracking the path of a pass in the NRL to show whether it went forward or not.

Once goal line technology arrives in European football I guarantee the coverage will include it way more than just goal line incidents.

Are we still getting that expensive goal line technology as well.Remember hearing about it some were on here

If it's the Hawk Eye system they were looking at I don't see why they couldn't implement it. For those unfamiliar with how the system works they explain it on their website but it basically uses several fixed cameras to track the ball.

It's an expensive system but considering that pretty much every ground the A-League uses is shared with NRL/AFL/Rugby they could share the costs between the different codes. I'm sure they would be interested in using it as well, maybe not for the match officials but the broadcasters would definitely be interested the possibilities it presents. The tennis and cricket use it to help with LBW/line calls but the broadcasters use it whenever anything interesting happens and other football codes could do the same thing.

Imagine being able to plot the path of Ono's chip in the semi against Brisbane, the AFL showing the path of the ball towards the goal or tracking the path of a pass in the NRL to show whether it went forward or not.

Once goal line technology arrives in European football I guarantee the coverage will include it way more than just goal line incidents.

"Against modern footbal" :ninja:

I remember hearing that it would cost around $220,000 for each venue,very expensive and should be spent on full time referees instead or bench dugouts.I wonder if FFA would cover the cost for it or would it be passed onto each club,i doubt NRL AFL would share the costs being the "enemy"code.I personally don't think its necessary for A-League,but probably years away from happening after being implemented successfully in Europe leagues first

If the other codes refuse to pay for it then I'd refuse to let them use it unless the hire it off the FFA for a huge fee. But I agree that if they don't want to share the cost then there are probably things that could use the money more.

Yes to huge fee for other codes to use if they refuse to pay up front seeing it would be used in duel tenanted stadiums throughout Aus.The EPL would be interesting to have it but would be time consuming waiting for replays and i can see fans hating it

The Hawk Eye results in the cricket and tennis come up pretty quickly so I don't think it'd be too bad for football. Just show a couple of regular replays like they usually do while the system makes the virtual one.

No to goal line technology of any kind.

Completely unnecessary

Yes totally agree, was there even one call last season that was that disputed that it needed goal line technology.

hi folks [apologies for the long post],

I'm 100% supportive of Turner's thread to get things moving and get Parramatta the stadium it deserves. We need to send communications to government decision-makers to show them the community support this has. I've drafted a pro forma letter that anyone who is supportive can easily send to the Premier, Barry O'Farrell and the Minister for Sport, Graham Annesley. Feel free to send letters or email to any other 'decision-maker' you can think of. I'll post up some email addresses later, this is just the start. Amend it as you like:

<date>

<addressee>

<salutation>

Re: upgrade Parramatta Stadium

I write to you concerning the urgent need for an upgrade to Parramatta Stadium. The needs of the western Sydney community have outgrown the football ground built in the first half of the 1980s. At the same time Parramatta has grown tremendously, in all respects including demography, as the capital of the western Sydney region.

I would like to see the government commit to a stadium in Parramatta befitting the events that will take place there and community demand. This means a modern stadium with a capacity of 35-40,000+ and vastly improved corporate and other facilities.

Parramatta Stadium has year-round tenants from major football codes, the Eels of the NRL and the Wanderers from the A-league. Both of these clubs could satisfactorily draw regular crowds of this magnitude. A redeveloped Parramatta Stadium could also play host to games from other NRL clubs.

Transferring more games from either of the Stadium’s current tenants to Homebush [stadium Australia] is not on the cards. The chairman of the Wanderers, Mr. Lyall Gorman, has committed to not taking A-league games to Homebush in the face of very strong supporter opposition to such a move. The scenario is similar at the Parramatta Eels with fans voicing strong opposition to playing at Homebush. This was a key factor in the recent elections to the Parramatta Leagues Club and may indeed play a larger role in local and state politics in future.

Parramatta Stadium has excellent transport links and these could be upgraded still further. It is within easy walking distance of a major train station. Different rail lines converge on Parramatta including the Western (Penrith), Richmond and Cumberland lines. Numerous bus routes reach Parramatta including the T-ways from Liverpool, Fairfield and Rouse Hill. There are also buses from the north-west and light rail is proposed to go very close to the ground. The Rivercat along Parramatta river provides one further option. Parking issues may need to be resolved including new carparks near the city centre and stadium yet this could be done consistently with the non-gameday needs of the city.

Related to these links is the wonderful game-day atmosphere provided by Church St and unmatched by any of the other proponents for stadia in western Sydney. The mutual boost that major events at Parramatta Stadium and local business provide for each other is highly significant. It has recently been reported that the night-time business of Parramatta CBD is among the fastest-growing in NSW.

Parramatta Park is a great community resource and the open space it provides is highly-valued by the community. The redevelopment of the stadium can be done consistently with preserving and promoting this open space. It can also be done consistently with heritage concerns including indigenous history.

yours,

< … >

Spoiler alert:

At risk of keeping this thread on topic (hey, I like dugouts too?!) I'd like to point out the need to lobby politicians and decision-makers about getting an upgrade to Parramatta Stadium. Call me old-fashioned but politicians still respond to ole fashioned letters (or emails for you guys on the cutting edge of technology) As such I've drafted a pro forma letter that has the main points as I see 'em, feel free to amend as you like. This can be found at

http://www.westsydneyfootball.com/topic/4320-upgrade-parramatta-stadium-lets-get-lobbying/#entry145840

I hope to post email addresses for some of the key decision-makers (the Premier, the Minister for Sport, others) shortly.

i have a shovel.....

I like this.
Sunderlands stadium has this. It's smart because it saves on scaffolding costs. Edited by Sobkowski

i have a shovel.....

I like this.
Sunderlands stadium has this. It's smart because it saves on scaffolding costs.

You can't lower the pitch without rebuilding the entire stadium because the rake of the seating tier is dependent on the height above the pitch.  The greater the vertical height above the sideline the steeper the rake of the tier has to be.  There is a formula to do the calculations.

Here's some (potentially out of date) contact details:

NSW Members of Parliament:

Auburn - Barbara Perry - Labor - auburn@parliament.nsw.gov.au

Blacktown - John Robertson - Labor - blacktown@parliament.nsw.gov.au - Opposition Leader - Shadow Minister for Western Sydney

Cabramatta - Nick Lalich - Labor - cabramatta@parliament.nsw.gov.au - Former Mayor of Fairfield.

Fairfield - Guy Zangari - Labor - fairfield@parliament.nsw.gov.au - Heavily active in local football clubs.

Granville - Tony Issa - Liberal - granville@parliament.nsw.gov.au

Liverpool - Paul Lynch - Labor - ElectorateOffice.Liverpool@parliament.nsw.gov.au - Shadow Attorney General and Shadow Minister for Justice (Legal Issues)

Parramatta - Geoff Lee - Liberal - parramatta@parliament.nsw.gov.au

Smithfield - Andrew Rohan - Liberal - smithfield@parliament.nsw.gov.au - Lists Soccer on his list of interests on LinkedIn.

Legislative Council (NSW Govt Equivalent of Senate):

David Shoebridge - (Greens) - http://davidshoebridge.org.au/ - david.shoebridge@parliament.nsw.gov.au - Appears to have a major Civil Liberties focus.

Shaoquett Moselmane - (Labor) - http://www.shaoquettmoselmane.com/get-in-touch/

Helen Westwood - (Labor) - http://www.nswalp.com/people/electorate-search/helen-westwood-mlc/ - helen.westwood@parliament.nsw.gov.au - Big focus on Western Sydney, previously in Bankstown Council.

Fairfield Council

Frank Carbone - Labor - Mayor Fairfield - fcarbone@fairfieldcity.nsw.gov.au

Zaya Toma - Liberal - ztoma@fairfieldcity.nsw.gov.au

Federal Government:

Chifley (Mount Druitt, Blacktown) - Ed Husic - Labor

Bennelong (East Parramatta) - John Alexander - Liberal

Blaxland (Fairfield East, Sefton, Villawood) - Jason Clare - Labor - Minister for Justice

Fowler (Cabrmatta, Mount Pritchard) - Chris Hayes - Labor

McMahon (Fairfield, Merrylands, Smithfield) - Chris Bowen - Labor

Parramatta - Julie Owens - Labor

Senators:

Senator Marise Payne - Liberal - Apparently has an office in Parramatta.

Iv'e said it before and I'll say it again...

Why not organise a 'Football is Unity' senate ticket at the upcoming federal election?

Politics is a (rotten) game, but played properly you can get results.

It is likely that the next senate will be hung (no, not hung like Heskey... rather balance of power hung).

Craig Foster could lead the charge here in NSW.

All political parties will BEND OVER BACKWARDS to get all the preferences that they can.

Although unlikely, picking up one of six seats on offer in NSW would deliver the goods for football and then some.

You know it makes sense!

Brilliant Mack, thanks, has taken the legwork out of it for me!

Here's the email for the Premier (and Minister for Western Sydney) Barry O'Farrell: office@premier.nsw.gov.au

The Minister for Sport & Recreation, Graham Annesley: office@annesley.minister.nsw.gov.au

The Treasurer, [moneybags] Mike Baird: office@treasurer.nsw.gov.au

(none of whom sadly are from the golden west?!)

Now to get writing/emailing ... Those of you who have the time can email all of these lovely people :meep: 

(not forgetting) The Minister for  Planning & Infrastructure, Brad Hazzard: office@hazzard.minister.nsw.gov.au

The Deputy Premier and Minister for Regional Infrastructure, Andrew Stoner: office@deputypremier.nsw.gov.au

Minister for Tourism Major Events Hospitality and Racing, George Souris: office@souris.minister.nsw.gov.au

Minister for the Environment & Heritage, Robyn Parker: office@parker.minister.nsw.gov.au

ecblank.gif ecblank.gif ecblank.gif ecblank.gif ecblank.gif ecblank.gif ecblank.gif   ecblank.gif ecblank.gif Edited by dochers

Don't know how accurate this is and the story was utterly devoid of details but Graeme Hughes was saying this afternoon on Talkin' Sport that there may be Federal Government dollars being porkbarrelled towards Parra Stadium. No dollar amount, no details, no people were named but it is encouraging.

Don't know how accurate this is and the story was utterly devoid of details but Graeme Hughes was saying this afternoon on Talkin' Sport that there may be Federal Government dollars being porkbarrelled towards Parra Stadium. No dollar amount, no details, no people were named but it is encouraging.

Encouraging

Encouraging
Would want to see it invested soon because the Fed Govt will be changing in Sept...