Korea vs Australia  19:00
at Seoul World Cup Stadium

Thursday 25 July
Australia vs Japan  20:00
at Hwaseong Stadium

Sunday 28 July
China vs Australia  17:15
at Jamsil Oympic Stadium

(all local times for kick off - for AEST +1 hour, SA/NT +1.5 hours, WA + 2 hours)

agree, and I think this will happen

expect the likes of Mooy, Nichols, Ibini, Ryan, plus many other fringe players to feature - perhaps even space for Topor-Stanley and Covic ?

also, some of our stand outs from U20s World Cup finals in late June/early July could also be picked, so maybe players like Antonis

unsure just how many European leagues based players will be released and/or called upon

Archie Thompson could be included esp given his experience, plus some from other Asian leagues like Kennedy, Cornthwaite etc

Give the young guys a run Holger. You know you want to.

• 1 month later...

So now attention turns to this tournament next month and a wonderful opportunity for more fringe players from HAL, Asian clubs and even best from U20s WC squad (post finals in Turkey) to shine.

I have booked flights and accommodation.

SBS broadcasting?

They had streaming rights for the HK qualifier.

My guess is Foxtel will definitely cover as the whole Socceroos Brazil journey just got far more lucrative.

And yes, would love too see as many young uns and A-League guys in the squad...this really is the perfect opportunity for a youth development approach

Edited by ManfredSchaefer

Am I the only one hoping for Santo, Sam and Ed's EAFF Finals Tournament Fever?

Santo Sam and Ed back for anything is good, but the EAFF is probably too big an ask...bring on 2014 SS&E

Just a FYI, Santo, Sam and Ed record their own podcast called "Santo, San and Ed".

They're on a break now but you can listen to 24 episodes recorded previously.

Am I the only one hoping for Santo, Sam and Ed's EAFF Finals Tournament Fever?

Santo Sam and Ed back for anything is good, but the EAFF is probably too big an ask...bring on 2014 SS&E

Just a FYI, Santo, Sam and Ed record their own podcast called "Santo, San and Ed".

They're on a break now but you can listen to 24 episodes recorded previously.

Been listening to them and some of the stuff they've done has been very good, some pretty ordinary. There's surprisingly not been much chat about the A-League in their podcasts.

Correct me if I am wrong, but wasn't that the qualifiers to this tournament?

Yep...that was the tourney where Aus, Hong Kong, DPRK, Guam and Chinese Taipai played...we got past North Korea with our superior for/against aggregate. Can't recall all results but Socceroos beat Honkers 1-0, drew 1-1 against NK, then slaughtered CT and Guam.

Wonder if South Korea and Japan will field strong teams, seen how Australia did against Japan, I want to see how they go against South Korea, I know Australia will beat china easy, they got hammered 5-1 by Thailand and aren't really playing that good nowadays.

Wonder if South Korea and Japan will field strong teams, seen how Australia did against Japan, I want to see how they go against South Korea, I know Australia will beat china easy, they got hammered 5-1 by Thailand and aren't really playing that good nowadays.

I'd imagine it'd be close to full strength across the board given the World Cup looming. At least it would be the "next in line" players to show that they deserve to push for a place.

damn, first game is on at the same time as the MUFC game!

Hmm...that is a dilemma. My Socceroo passion is calling me to watch the Korea game but there is the appeal of seeing the HAL All-Stars with NTS, Covic, Ono and Hersi on deck or on the bench. Guess it's going to have to be timeshifting and/or recording one and watching the other.

I'd imagine it'd be close to full strength across the board given the World Cup looming. At least it would be the "next in line" players to show that they deserve to push for a place.

Depends upon player availability but you would expect Holger to take a far more experimental line up. with some of those fringe players or those coming back from a break (e.g. Vidosic, Kennedy, Zullo) getting more game time. I'm also hoping that those that had a stuttering WC campaign (especially Holman and McKay) get plenty of starts.

i hope this doesn't sound un-Australian but if **** Schwarzer is in goals for these games then Holger  needs a rocket in his arse.

For once give Langerack or Fed a run.

I don't think Schwarzer will be there but having said that he has got both the issue of his club future to resolve plus will the likes of Federici, Jones, Ryan or Langerack be available? Schwarzie is one of the very few if only Socceroos who if available and fit is a lay down misere in normal circumstances. But this tourney and his current situation are probably not normal per se.

It's highly likely that some HAL players selected for the All Stars game vs Man U will instead be part of Holger's squad for EAFF finals tournament

e.g. could include Ante Covic

All respects to Covic, as he's a fantastic goalkeeper for us...

But he's not gonna get picked for Australia, and shouldn't.

We have better options, we have younger options, we have options who are both better and younger. 

isnt covic retired from internationals?

dont think hed be selected anyway :/

well he missed out on first training camp this week

http://www.footballaustralia.com.au/news-display/osieck-selects-training-camp-squad/69698

although there two more camps before tournament

I spoke with Ante recently and he hadn't given up on international career

Mooy and Juric made the first camp