Tomi Juric

mack

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Harsh, in my opinion. Especially the comparison to the goal-starved, bald messiah. The only criticism I have of young Tomi at the moment is he falls over too much. I'm hoping that gets coached out of him, it's not the way I want my team to play.

His distribution is phenomenal, he drops into space in front of the opposition back four far better than Dino ever could, his defensive running and pressure is just as good as Dino's (contrary to popular opinion, Dino's just looked impressive as it was all he offered). Probably just short of Dino's ability in the air, but I think at will come. Let's see what the comments in this thread look like at round 13 and make our judgement then.

I'm more than happy to cut Tomi a lot of slack because the kid still has so much raw potential that needs to be brought out and I am sure he is still to come to grips with everything structurally and tactically laid out by Popa (within a framework that is adjusting from last season as well). Let's not forget that Dino wasn't exactly setting the world on fire in those first few rounds last season, and the bald headed anointed one only really came into his own when he had a better understanding and/or more direction on his role (i.e. a Viduka style holding striker). Tomi is perhaps caught in a no man's land of being a genuine goal scorer who is still to find the balance between positioning for those thunderous strikes and being more of a controlling/distributive central forward.

Yes, I will be patient with and wait for him to improve and get a better understanding of what his role is. But two things I noticed, as someone said previously he isn't really all that good in the air (at least not from what I've seen). Also he doesn't use his big frame well enough. Has a good first touch of the ball though. His chasing is a bit erratic as he chases well at times, but for a lot of the game seemed to be walking.

Not saying Dino is better. But Dino when on song seemed to be more effective :)