Jump to content
blameturner

NBA / Basketball Thread

Recommended Posts

Im assuming that the avid Basketballers would have seen the overnight action between Australia and The Philippines. 

As a proud Filipino, born here, I am utterly embarrassed to call myself just that. So much so that I'm venting online! Grrr! rabble rabble rabble!!!

Obviously the fights - and particular aspects - that occurred on the court was bad in itself, but how the Filipino's carried themselves afterwards (ie a selfie once things cooled down) was... I have no words! I'm no basketballer, but I've played socially in a Filipino league, and I know there are far more heated and dirty moments there than in any other leagues. They say it's because they're passionate. I say the actions are cheap, childish and immature. I never thought that would carry on to the "professional" levels.  I'm not sure where I'm going with this... and obviously this isn't a true reflection of every Filipino. 
Even some of the comments from filipino fans were defending the actions (albeit online). I seriously cant fathom how you can watch anyone do some of the things captured in the fights (irrespective of scenario) and proudly defend it? And you know what? I've yet to see or hear anything from the Filipino officials but they'll probably defend and support it too. 

I know there were some issues with the refs not being very experienced and obviously letting the game get out of control. But king hits, throwing chairs, punching someone in the face as they're being assisted away from the court.. man.... no words. 

Anyway. Dark day.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, teddies said:

Im assuming that the avid Basketballers would have seen the overnight action between Australia and The Philippines. 

As a proud Filipino, born here, I am utterly embarrassed to call myself just that. So much so that I'm venting online! Grrr! rabble rabble rabble!!!

Obviously the fights - and particular aspects - that occurred on the court was bad in itself, but how the Filipino's carried themselves afterwards (ie a selfie once things cooled down) was... I have no words! I'm no basketballer, but I've played socially in a Filipino league, and I know there are far more heated and dirty moments there than in any other leagues. They say it's because they're passionate. I say the actions are cheap, childish and immature. I never thought that would carry on to the "professional" levels.  I'm not sure where I'm going with this... and obviously this isn't a true reflection of every Filipino. 
Even some of the comments from filipino fans were defending the actions (albeit online). I seriously cant fathom how you can watch anyone do some of the things captured in the fights (irrespective of scenario) and proudly defend it? And you know what? I've yet to see or hear anything from the Filipino officials but they'll probably defend and support it too. 

I know there were some issues with the refs not being very experienced and obviously letting the game get out of control. But king hits, throwing chairs, punching someone in the face as they're being assisted away from the court.. man.... no words. 

Anyway. Dark day.

Mate, I always blame the individuals involved never an entire nation when crap like this happens ...

This country ....and almost every other......have a chequered history in how some of their sports people have behaved. I wouldn't take it to heart. As an example just look at our fine upstanding cricket captain and his teammates.....cheaters...but not all Aussies sports people are cheaters...although I do have doubts about ESFC and their fans.......lol

Edited by sonar

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Obviously we haven't seen all the footage, but for the Filipino coach to blame it all on one Australian seems a bit steep.

Even if he had done what was claimed, it does not justify the entire team, staff and fans coming in to (literally) stick the boot in.

There should be some very serious repercussions from this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not surprised, tbh.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

was at the Hawks vs Melbourne 4OT cracker down in wollongong last night. what a game. best I have seen in a very long time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 23/03/2018 at 7:46 AM, lloydy136 said:

Nbl is the best its been since the boom of the 90s.

Standard of play is excellent. Smart ideas like setting aside $ to attract players here  before they are draft eligible are good. Games against US will be huge next year and we continue to punch above our weight in terms of producing nba level talent.

Marketing and organisation of league is sound and i think demetriou will add to that.

If football isn't careful it will be in basketball's rear view mirror in this country pretty soon (although i think the sports should work together like they do in europe).

 

On 17/08/2018 at 10:02 AM, pseudonym said:

:woah:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 31/03/2018 at 7:22 PM, btron3000 said:

My cousin is a (the?) strength and conditioning coach for Hawks so that makes me support them by default.

Well... he got tapped on the shoulder and is now the rehab coach for the Orlando Magic. Crazy.

Started as strength and conditioning for Wests Tigers, when the coaches got the punt he went too, went to Dragons, connections there led to Hawks, and now NBA. What the ****. 

So everyone here who doesn't have a team, you're on the Magic train and supporting the westie!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

This is the greatest nba playoff comeback ever 

liken this to being down 4 nil in the 70th min 

14 mins but if you got nothing better to do watch it 

https://youtu.be/W9kyGJMwOmM

Edited by GunnerWanderer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

By now you have all probably seen the fallout of the live experience of the Boomers v USA game last night. In a way I'm not surprised. As soon as I saw that it was going to be held at Marvel Stadium I knew it was going to be a disaster! Plastic lawn chairs for the $300 floor seating, then $1500 for the "courtside" seating which offers padded seats... (Mmmm... padddddiinnngggg..). 

A couple of things; yes, I get that this was just a cashgrab for the event organisers and Basketball Australia (possibly?), but one of the things that REALLY annoys me is that people are blaming the fan who paid the $300 or $1500 and had a **** time saying that you could have just watched it from the comfort of your own living room and all that. Whilst that's true in retrospect, nothing beats a live experience (personally). I could travel Europe from the comfort of my own living room. 

Anyway. Go Boomers. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, teddies said:

By now you have all probably seen the fallout of the live experience of the Boomers v USA game last night. In a way I'm not surprised. As soon as I saw that it was going to be held at Marvel Stadium I knew it was going to be a disaster! Plastic lawn chairs for the $300 floor seating, then $1500 for the "courtside" seating which offers padded seats... (Mmmm... padddddiinnngggg..). 

The biggest joke was that they had the game on a raised court in the middle of the field. This mean any court side seating & ground level was completely useless for watching the game. That’s ****ed.

The other problem was the big names that didn’t show up. Like these European friendlies happening in Australia without the big names.

Farce

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

USA out!

We beat France to avoid them, then France beat them! :woah:

Four teams left very evenly matched. VERY open.

I’d love to see us v Argies in the final.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Spain are undefeated too in this WC but have played less fancied opponents such as Iran, Tunisia and Poland, where we have played France and Lithuania - and beaten both. We have also outscored the Spaniards so far. 

Gasol and Hernangomez will be a big test for our bigs, Bogut and Bayne. I think it will come down to the battle in the paint. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bogut was great last night. We couldn’t hit a jumper to save ourselves in the first half and he was doing the business.

Why they all booing him?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, btron3000 said:

Bogut was great last night. We couldn’t hit a jumper to save ourselves in the first half and he was doing the business.

Why they all booing him?

I think he made a comment about the Chinese swimmer. lol they can hold a grudge. 

Ingles hasn't being firing since his 18/19 season which almost got him a call up to the All star 3pt comp. I think there was more of an emphasis on being a ball distributor in the NBA in the last season. Baynes is actually leading in the 3pt% for Australia. 

If Ingles finds his range a bit more it would put more of a cushion in that scoreline! 0-4 from 3 last night. 

Edited by teddies
stat

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We’ve blown this. Lead by 11 at one point, couldn’t score from the field for last 4.5 minutes. Then lead again in OT, blew it.

FAAAARRRK

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Same ol same ol for Australian basketball. ******* hell.

This team was WAY WAY WAY TOO ******* LOOSE. You can’t win games turning the ball over every second ******* play. There were times they just threw it away with no pressure. 

The worst thing is they had every chance to win this. And they threw it away.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

F***************CCKKKKKK!!!!

A lot of nerves. And again, only patty mills really scoring. Ingles has to fire. I know he was acting as a 2nd play maker but we have Delly primarily, right? 

I'm really saddened by this because I think this current boomers squad is the strongest we've had and it may have been our only chance to get into a gold medal round for another generation. I don't know though!!! I'm not really across the local/upcoming talent overseas.  

I hope we can atleast get a medal at the end of this tho. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, teddies said:

I'm really saddened by this because I think this current boomers squad is the strongest we've had and it may have been our only chance to get into a gold medal round for another generation. I don't know though!!! I'm not really across the local/upcoming talent overseas.  

Yeah I agree, probably the best chance. If the yanks start taking it seriously and better players come, we are no hope.

And it just felt like the time with Bogut coming to an end and Patty Mills and a few guys getting on. Plus they had it with an 11 pt lead. They were so loose all game with their passing and turnovers and then somehow managed to still be loose with possession but also tighten up in the last 4 minutes! They hit any of those blown baskets during that time and they win. They threw it away.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lamelo fever hit Sydney today 
New nbl record attendance 

The previous single-game high was 15,366 - set in 1996 - and overall high was 17,143, which was set in 1999, but Sunday afternoon got the best of both
There was an NBL record 17,541 people at Qudos Bank Arena.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, GunnerWanderer said:

Lamelo fever hit Sydney today 
New nbl record attendance 

The previous single-game high was 15,366 - set in 1996 - and overall high was 17,143, which was set in 1999, but Sunday afternoon got the best of both
There was an NBL record 17,541 people at Qudos Bank Arena.

We need to keep getting these names out here. No disrespect to the other guys from the States who are in a similar position to Lamelo in terms of age/draft eligibility, but it just proves that if we have the right person here they can sell tickets. 

It obviously helps that the Ball family are who they are, but the NBL should be more mainstream. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...