NBA / Basketball Thread

I find it interesting, since I'm listening to a Croatian radio stream, how uplifting the commentator sounds when Croatia is on the attack but when Serbia has the ball he speaks in a monotone voice, even when they score so it's easy to miss if you're not paying attention.

Ahhh, Balkans!

This is ****.

Going to the line when the opposition is in the penalty should not be mandatory. If you have the choice to take the ball at the side then intentional fouling would disappear.

This is one of the worst things about basketball. Painful to watch.

Ugh the downside of radio. Apparently there were two unsportsmanlike fouls that weren't given to Croatia but I have no way to judge!

Serbia wins. Serbia will face Australia yet again.

Edited by Valter43

"I'm half-Serbian, half-Croatian, I wake up in the morning and I want to kill myself!"

Anyway, an exciting derby game. Croatia looked very good in the first half before collapsing in the 3rd quarter, eventually bringing it back to a nail biter. Good performance from Bogdanovic, Ukic and Hezonja from Croatia but unfortunately not enough since they missed some crucial shots towards the end.

On my Croatian radio stream the commentator blew up about two unsportsmanlike fouls against Croatia that weren't given. Not sure how much I can trust him since it's a very heated derby. Anybody here watching think Croatia was robbed?

Not sure what they classify as unsportsmanlike these days, but they were all just intentional grabs or light hacks from both teams. 

There was nothing different to any other close game, but you could call them all unsportsmanlike really. They were obviously intentional. Just fix the rules!

The 2 unsportsmanlike foul shouts were Jokic preventing a Cro player from putting up a shot about 2 steps after a foul call outide the 3 point line and at the end Bogdanovic got some fingers run down his face after someone tried to slap a ball away. Neither should've been unsportsmanlike and was more wishful thinking from the Croatian point of view.

I think it was a fair result. Serbia had a great 3rd quarter. Croatia did well to bring it back but the shot that Hezonja forced that was 3 steps behind the 3 point line was a killer for them

Edited by dodson

The 2 unsportsmanlike foul shouts were Jokic preventing a Cro player from putting up a shot about 2 steps after a foul call outide the 3 point line and at the end Bogdanovic got some fingers run down his face after someone tried to slap a ball away. Neither should've been unsportsmanlike and was more wishful thinking from the Croatian point of view.

I think it was a fair result. Serbia had a great 3rd quarter. Croatia did well to bring it back but the shot that Hezonja forced that was 3 steps behind the 3 point line was a killer for them

Thanks. Yeah Croatia pulled off an amazing comeback but in the last couple of minutes they did choke hard, missing crucial shots. The curse continues for Croatia.

If Yugoslavia had a united team....

Nervous for today. Do not like that the players have been talking about their goal of winning gold. Got to get past Serbia today. Group game was not really a 15 pt game. We got some lucky calls/bounces but we did also also play well down the stretch. Hopefully we keep our cool again today.

Normally I'd be positive we could come back from this but we look done. This looks just like the Opals game. Serbs came out with a plan, look confident, and we look shot.

You could see in the final quarter against Croatia that Sebia looked like they totally believed they could win and werent even contemplating losing, whereas Croatia were hoping to win. Things look much the same here.

Normally I'd be positive we could come back from this but we look done. This looks just like the Opals game. Serbs came out with a plan, look confident, and we look shot.

You could see in the final quarter against Croatia that Sebia looked like they totally believed they could win and werent even contemplating losing, whereas Croatia were hoping to win. Things look much the same here.

Thet have saved their worst for the biggest game of the tournament. They are well and truly off the pace. 14 points in a half?!

My parents and citizenship are Serbian but I have Macedonians and Bosnians in my family. My username Valter is based off of a cult Yugoslav war movie called "Walter defends Sarajevo".

Australia only scored 5 points in the first quarter  :cheeky:

Missed the game because I was at junior football but just watched the highlights. Fmd what an absolute abortion of a performance. Shooting just deserted them it looks like.

Still a win vs Spain will mean first ever medal. Will be big job to pick themselves up for it now.

Gameplan was obvious... Pressured our guard delly and mills and forced someone else to beat them and no one could bogut was the bogut we've seen many times before a useless sack of ****

We couldn't buy a bucket to state the obvious we defended well enough to win the game but just got nothing going

Spain will beat us I feel tough loss to respond too

Serbia's defense was just stifling. Australia's sets didn't seem to have many wrinkles to it. They did great switching everything on mills and dellavedova. When Lithuania dared Dellavedova to beat them he came up big and hit some big shots early, Serbia dared Ingles to beat them and he was scared and passive on offense. It's a shame because he is a good player but didn't show it today.

Serbia was all class. It sucks to lose but on the bright side it will be a good learning experience for this group and something to build on going forward. Hopefully almagamating the Oceania and Asian FIBA tournaments will help get us some more international games much like it did the Socceroos joining Asia.

Still got the bronze medal game to go. I can't imagine Bogut will play. He said one of the conditions that he gave Dallas was if he felt any pain in his knee he would shut it down. This ending of this campaign is eerily similar to Sydney 2000. Strong showings in the group stage, great performance in the quarter finals, disaster of a game in the semis then playing the bronze medal game with your starting Center out.