Cricket thread

Guest ZipGunBop

Guest ZipGunBop

Noticed a few cricket fans on here in the other sports thread.

Ashes looming, Australian cricket is a bit of a farce ATM, can anyone see us winning in England? We've selected 5 opening batsmen FFS.

And now trying to fast track a citizenship for a Pakistani spinner, 31 years old. Steve O'Keefe has been the best wicket taker in the spinner ranks in Sheffield Shield for the last 2 years FFS, he also averages 30 odd with the bat.

Thoughts anyone?

Guest ZipGunBop

Well Beefy Botham has come out this morning and said "worst australian ashes team ever", so that works in our favour at least.

we got rolled 5-0 last time we were there if my memory serves me correct and that squad looked better than current.

ill be happy if we even draw a game this series, that how confident I am england will win 5-0.

england have this knack lately of having one crap innings but then the next they come out on fire and win the test. they rolled NZ for under a 100 last wek, ominous signs for Aus

Guest ZipGunBop

we got rolled 5-0 last time we were there if my memory serves me correct and that squad looked better than current. ill be happy if we even draw a game this series, that how confident I am england will win 5-0. england have this knack lately of having one crap innings but then the next they come out on fire and win the test. they rolled NZ for under a 100 last wek, ominous signs for Aus

Haha, nah it was 3-1. Felt like 5-blot by the end. Marcus North scored a hundred in the first test if memory serves. How times change.

Edit-sorry 2-1.

I felt Warner was hard done by $6000 fine for his tweets.Cant mess with news limited they made Warner into the bad guy just for sticking up for himself after that reporter wrote an article about crooks in IPL and uses his photo yet not being mentioned in the actual article

Guest ZipGunBop

cannot wait for us to lose the ashes 5-0 or whatever the amount of matches they play in the ashes

haha, serious?
lol i frankly dont care the sooner we have lost it the better

Dafuq?

cannot wait for us to lose the ashes 5-0 or whatever the amount of matches they play in the ashes

haha, serious?

Dafuq?

not really a fan of our cricket team :P

Guest ZipGunBop

I felt Warner was hard done by $6000 fine for his tweets.Cant mess with news limited they made Warner into the bad guy just for sticking up for himself after that reporter wrote an article about crooks in IPL and uses his photo yet not being mentioned in the actual article

Yeah tend to agree. However when you call a print journo a prik it's not something the hierarchy would be happy with. He got off pretty lightly.

Craddock showed why he's the best in the country with his response.

haha, serious?
Dafuq?

Like "not a cricket fan", or just hate our team?

Yeah tend to agree. However when you call a print journo a prik it's not something the hierarchy would be happy with. He got off pretty lightly.

haha, serious?
Dafuq?

Like "not a cricket fan", or just hate our team?

i enjoy cricket at times, its not something i would watch too often but it can be really exciting i guess i just dont like the team i like the era with the waugh's glenn, adam, etc we had so many exciting players even though i didnt like shane, now we have ......i think we have clarke......ummm we had a few lee's at some point, erm .....nah cant really think of anyone else in our team apart from the guy who went on a twitter rampage

Craddock would have been licking his lips on Warner's response's knowing the free public attention he would receive.

Guest ZipGunBop

England isn't going as good as what many Aussies think so we are definately a chance in The Ashes.When the A-League draw came out I noticed Victory away on December 28. Now that would be an awesome trip!

Will be impossible to get Ashes tickets to Boxing Day test.

England isn't going as good as what many Aussies think so we are definately a chance in The Ashes.When the A-League draw came out I noticed Victory away on December 28. Now that would be an awesome trip!

I think you have to be a member of the cricket australia family to hopefully get a presale... but you'll have to be online as soon as they go on sale..

also the boxing day test would be with ticketmaster

Guest ZipGunBop

I think you have to be a member of the cricket australia family to hopefully get a presale... but you'll have to be online as soon as they go on sale..also the boxing day test would be with ticketmaster 

I think it may be sold out already. Thanks to large England allocation.

As far as the Ashes are concerned, I'm hopeful a young Australian batsman might emerge who has a bit of heart and grit, ala Steve Waugh or Allan Border. One their day they were wonderful to watch, but many of their inninigs were built on patience and determination. I feel the recent Australian squads have been lacking in these qualities, at the very least within those selected for their batting. Our bowlers all seem to have a bit more bottle, which is promising.

As far as the Ashes are concerned, I'm hopeful a young Australian batsman might emerge who has a bit of heart and grit, ala Steve Waugh or Allan Border. One their day they were wonderful to watch, but many of their inninigs were built on patience and determination. I feel the recent Australian squads have been lacking in these qualities, at the very least within those selected for their batting. Our bowlers all seem to have a bit more bottle, which is promising.

I heard it on the radio during the week (i cant remember what show).

but they said that the problem with modern day cricket, is that a 23 year old who is playing shield cricket, trying to get into the test team, can play a few 20/20s

score some runs in the big bash, and next minute theyre earning 6 figure salaries in the IPL.  theres no mental toughness that they have to develop that you need for test cricket.  because they can just be an average shield cricket player, maybe a play a few tests for australia but they never concentrate and develop on being a test cricket player, because its easier to score some runs in the IPL and earn big $$

Guest ZipGunBop

I heard it on the radio during the week (i cant remember what show).but they said that the problem with modern day cricket, is that a 23 year old who is playing shield cricket, trying to get into the test team, can play a few 20/20sscore some runs in the big bash, and next minute theyre earning 6 figure salaries in the IPL.  theres no mental toughness that they have to develop that you need for test cricket.  because they can just be an average shield cricket player, maybe a play a few tests for australia but they never concentrate and develop on being a test cricket player, because its easier to score some runs in the IPL and earn big $$ 

That's 100% right. And to make matters worse when we do uncover a good test/shield player, like say Ed Cowan, Chris Rogers, Usman Kuwaja they get ridiculed by farkwit fans for "going too slow".

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/cricket/nine-to-take-bid-to-wire-20130531-2nhi3.html

I read this interesting article that Channel 10 and Channel 9 are vying for the cricket rights. I am absolutely staggered that both Channel 10 and Channel 9 are prepared to pay about 500M bucks over 5 years. This is twice the amount they paid for last time, being 45M a year for 7 years as pointed out in the article. I have no idea how cricket Australia has managed to even get close to that figure. Whoever is doing the negotiations on behalf of cricket Australia is worth his weight in gold.

Seeing as cricket is basically our only real competitor in the summer sports market I am a little frustrated by the amount of money both networks are prepared to throw at cricket. Considering how well the A-league performed last summer especially in the younger demographic I cant help but think this might affect the prospects of the A-leagues growth in future years in terms of tv revenue.

I dont know how the networks can afford the sort of money being splashed around for the codes on offer. Both the AFL and NRL rights deals were both around the 1 Billion dollar mark and now cricket for 500M. Channel 9 in particular is paying for 2 sports and spending 1.5 Billion dollars. Maybe the format of football isnt as condusive as the other codes when it comes to advertising. In cricket you can put on ads after every over or when a wickets been taken, AFL after ever goal/behind, NRL when there is a break in the action ie a penalty or a try.

I am just surprised that networks are ready to pay what I consider over the market rate for a sport that I saw in decline or at least waning in support. Is it just me or is cricket still as popular as ever in Australia or are the networks just crazy paying this sort of money. I have no idea how they will get any return on their investment. Any thoughts football fans?

Edited by Jukes01
Guest ZipGunBop

when the wanderers play brisbane in november is when the first test of the ashes is on

Nice. Caxton rd place to be.

• mack locked this topic