Cricket thread

Guest ZipGunBop

Guest ZipGunBop

its interesting how the media say 20/20 is the new big thing and everyone wants to watch it and test cricket will die off.yet most people I talk and play cricket with would prefer test cricket any day of the week

I think that's the problem. There's us that like proper cricket, they already have us.

There's some that only like the bastardized version of it sometimes. CA want a little taste of their cash.

• 2 weeks later...

the first time i ever opened the batting was in U/15s, i carried the bat (only batsman not out at end of innings) and was the first person at my club to do so.

i got 5 runs and the team got rolled for 16. i think we were out there for like an hour and a half.

oh, and it was a girl bowler who got most people out, she took like 12 or 13 wickets that day.

ahh, good times..................for them :D

about time, cricketers should be working on there game not homework.

Okay, I'll bite...

The issue wasn't the nature of the task, it was the coach and captain and the playing group asking everyone to do something that was nominally about reflecting on their skills and work ethic, but more importantly about discipline. And of those four who didn't do it Watson was the only one to kick up a stink about it.

Now I'm no fan of Arthur and in some ways I am more a believer in 'why do they need a coach?' school of thinking...after all if the greats of the pre-WSC era never needed 'em then perhaps the role is redundant. Having said that I also think Warney is a tool for his approach to the events around Arthur/Clarke/Watson.

This current batch of overpaid underperformers are lacking the simple life and social skills that their predecessors maintained, including being able to stay out of trouble, play for the team and nation, and recognise who is in charge. Arthur obviously couldn't get the likes of Warner and Watson to do the right thing and Clarke must've also been indulgent...there is no way the likes of AB and Simmo would've copped some of the BS coming from this current Australian team.

Here's hoping Lehmann gets the job and pulls some of these show ponies into line...it's probably not going to help in this Ashes series but perhaps by summer time things may turn around.

Okay, I'll bite...

The issue wasn't the nature of the task, it was the coach and captain and the playing group asking everyone to do something that was nominally about reflecting on their skills and work ethic, but more importantly about discipline. And of those four who didn't do it Watson was the only one to kick up a stink about it.

Now I'm no fan of Arthur and in some ways I am more a believer in 'why do they need a coach?' school of thinking...after all if the greats of the pre-WSC era never needed 'em then perhaps the role is redundant. Having said that I also think Warney is a tool for his approach to the events around Arthur/Clarke/Watson.

This current batch of overpaid underperformers are lacking the simple life and social skills that their predecessors maintained, including being able to stay out of trouble, play for the team and nation, and recognise who is in charge. Arthur obviously couldn't get the likes of Warner and Watson to do the right thing and Clarke must've also been indulgent...there is no way the likes of AB and Simmo would've copped some of the BS coming from this current Australian team.

Here's hoping Lehmann gets the job and pulls some of these show ponies into line...it's probably not going to help in this Ashes series but perhaps by summer time things may turn around.

I disagreed with alot of team selections. They are not picking players on form and outside looking in it seems the team selection process is, Clarke who is your mate, lets pick him. Some payers arent seem to be given a fair go.

What I dont understand is why did players, that didnt play in the match have to write an essay of how they could of improved the teams performance. Just get them in the nets.

EDIT: I also didnt like the treatment that has been given to Watson. Especially considering all the **** Warne got away with in his day.

Edited by Kraken

Okay, I'll bite...

I disagreed with alot of team selections. They are not picking players on form and outside looking in it seems the team selection process is, Clarke who is your mate, lets pick him. Some payers arent seem to be given a fair go.

What I dont understand is why did players, that didnt play in the match have to write an essay of how they could of improved the teams performance. Just get them in the nets.

EDIT: I also didnt like the treatment that has been given to Watson. Especially considering all the **** Warne got away with in his day.

Difference between Watson and Warne...646 test wickets. And as I said, the homework issue wasn't necessarily about improving the playing of the said players...it was a team exercise designed to make sure everyone was on the same page re discipline and expectations.

But of course why the team in India on the last tour or the current Ashes tour have issues relating to poor performance and poor discipline is not going to be answered by either more net time or more homework or a new coach. The current batch of Australian players are generally barely adequate and in the batting stocks only Clarke is worth his place. Right now if you took any of this team and put them up for selection in past eras the captain would be the only one worth slotting in...and even he has his issues.

Guest ZipGunBop

Here's a snapshot of my last 24 hours.

"Boofa is the new coach, this is awesome, he is gonna turn this clusterfark around, high five"

24 hours later..,,

"Boofa wants to put Watson back to the top of the order? WTF is he thinking? What the hell? Sack him!".

Here's a snapshot of my last 24 hours.

"Boofa is the new coach, this is awesome, he is gonna turn this clusterfark around, high five"

24 hours later..,,

"Boofa wants to put Watson back to the top of the order? WTF is he thinking? What the hell? Sack him!".

I kinda like the idea of opening with Watson and Warner... take it to the english bowlers and attack them from the start

Guest ZipGunBop

Warner is being talked about as being used at 6 if he plays.

Lehmann said that watson will open with chris rogers. so does that put Cowan at 3?

Word is he's dropped.

Lehmann said that watson will open with chris rogers. so does that put Cowan at 3?

Word is he's dropped.

yea, had a look at the stats from the previous sheffield shield season, Rogers was the highest run scorer behind ponting

at least were picking someone who is in form

http://www.cricket.com.au/series/sheffield-shield-201213

i never even heard of chris rogers till today, sounds promising

He played one test a few years ago, because i think hayden or langer was injured

thanks i dont remember that specifically but changes can be good

frankly we just need consistency maybe Lehmann can bring some consistency

Guest ZipGunBop

Word is he's dropped.

yea, had a look at the stats from the previous sheffield shield season, Rogers was the highest run scorer behind pontingat least were picking someone who is in form http://www.cricket.com.au/series/sheffield-shield-201213

More important than that, he's been dominating the English county season. Top run scorer.

He played one test a few years ago, because i think hayden or langer was injured

Hayden was out with a hamstring injury against India in 2008. That was his sole test but he is better then a one-test player.

I'm reading the line-up to be Watson, Rogers, Hughes, Clarke, Khawaja, Smith, Haddin, Patterson, Starc, Lyon and Bird.

Guest ZipGunBop

Hayden was out with a hamstring injury against India in 2008. That was his sole test but he is better then a one-test player.I'm reading the line-up to be Watson, Rogers, Hughes, Clarke, Khawaja, Smith, Haddin, Patterson, Starc, Lyon and Bird.

If Rogers was not Aussie he would've been a constant Test player from the age of 24.

Interesting Kuwaja at 6, what's your thoughts there? Looking for a steadier rather than a hitter?

Hayden was out with a hamstring injury against India in 2008. That was his sole test but he is better then a one-test player.I'm reading the line-up to be Watson, Rogers, Hughes, Clarke, Khawaja, Smith, Haddin, Patterson, Starc, Lyon and Bird.

If Rogers was not Aussie he would've been a constant Test player from the age of 24.

Interesting Kuwaja at 6, what's your thoughts there? Looking for a steadier rather than a hitter?

like a Michael Bevan kinda role?

Guest ZipGunBop

If Rogers was not Aussie he would've been a constant Test player from the age of 24.Interesting Kuwaja at 6, what's your thoughts there? Looking for a steadier rather than a hitter?

like a Michael Bevan kinda role?

Get Hussey in.

Oh wait

• mack locked this topic