Cricket thread

Guest ZipGunBop

1 hour ago, Prydzopolis said:

I just want my test cricket old school please, none of this day night rubbish!

How many of these have we got this summer?

Too many young kids are brought up on T-20 and can’t appreciate the battle between bat & ball. Even my father in law who is a cricket man through and through, started getting frustrated at the lack of action at the end of Day 2! 

I actually don't mind the day nighter tests. Means more people can watch it in the afternoon and evenings and it's not necessarily so stiflingly hot. I know that that is often a big advantage for us at home, but I've come around to the concept.

There is only 1 day night test in the Ashes. No way would they mess with Boxing Day or New Years tests (most people are on holiday anyway). Pretty sure the Poms would only agree to one in the series.

Nahhhh England are not good enough to take those key moments in a test match. They lack discipline as shown with the first session bowling yesterday which was too short of a length.

I fully expect England to get knocked over quickly under lights if they bat later today.

The ball to bowl Smith was a beauty of a full in swinging delivery. In my head that is how i used to bowl lol

England have huffed and puffed all afternoon, some very close calls that have just not gone their way, some bad luck, but some average bowling also. England not good and consistent enough to take those crucial chances and sessions that you have to take to put yourself in with a chance. This will be the theme of each test and the series as a whole, Australia doing enough to win each one and England just not taking their chances.

I know why Root opted to bowl in this test, he looked up at the sky and seen it was gloomy and a pink ball being used, problem was he didn't look down at the  very dry drop in wicket. Gillespie said in his commentary that at Adelaide you never look up, you look down.

2-0 anyway and onward to Perth where Australia winning is an absolute given, always happens, the ashes will be won in Perth and MCG / SCG the usual dead rubbers.

Dinner, Australia totally in control of this test, ball is starting to spin, Australia looking good for 350ish to 390, England to be knocked over for around 140.

Edited by WSWBoro

Going to be a TOTALLY different game / different looking wicket when Australia come in bowl later this evening. The ball will spin, swing and with a bit more pace and good length.

There is just an outside chance England could get knocked over in their innings today and be out for like 80 - 100, would not surprise me at all. England are going to get smashed tonight.

This could test could be all over tomorrow evening.

Edited by WSWBoro
2 minutes ago, WSWBoro said:

Going to be a TOTALLY different game / different looking wicket when Australia come in bowl later this evening. The ball will spin, swing and with a bit more pace and good length.

There is just an outside chance England could get knocked over in their innings today and be out for like 80 - 100, would not surprise me at all. England are going to get smashed tonight.

This could test could be all over tomorrow evening.

Yep ashes over before Christmas briliant isn’t it 

Rain really saved England there, I think they would've lost at least 2 more tonight. How about that first ball from Cummins? What a legend. 

England's attack is just so pedestrian after the new ball. Anderson's balls were barely reaching the keeper. He's the ultimate flat track bully...dangerous at home, absolute shite overseas. His averages away from England are awful. 

Love how they made a big deal about sledging, proceeded to sledge constantly...until they started getting hammered and all their heads dropped! Ah there's nothing more satisfying than an English cricketing capitulation.

Well done to Marsh as well, I'm far from his biggest fan, but he made the most of his chance today. Paine was excellent too. 

I agreed with the England team managers comments yesterday evening, the sledging from both sides has been pretty average. The England camp were very happy to see Bancroft get run out that was pretty clear. Both sides are guilty of getting a bit too cockey when things tip their way, it certainly isn't restricted to one side over the other. Honors even in regard to who are the biggest twats competition in my opinion, sledging done well is ok, I don't mind it but what is on offer at the moment is poor.

The rain no doubt saved England another few wickets last night, they will be looking to get Cook early of course and get at Root. Cook and Root in combination are the only two players that could even get close to making a game of this, on their day both equal to Smith, Root especially. But I just can't see it somehow.

England to be bowled out for between 150 - 210ish I think. 

7 minutes ago, btron3000 said:

LOL England.

Yeah I agree they should enforce follow-on, especially with weather around.

Possible they could be knocked over in first 30 mins after restart and then knocked over again before close? lol They will be bowled out tonight you would think and possibly a good few more down again if put straight back in.

40 minutes ago, WSWBoro said:

Possible they could be knocked over in first 30 mins after restart and then knocked over again before close? lol They will be bowled out tonight you would think and possibly a good few more down again if put straight back in.

Aus won't want to bat at night.........they'll send England in again.......probably.......maybe....lol

Your mob not doing too well. Thought they would play better than they have so far. Aussie bowlers are way more effective.

Some fight finally from the Poms.  Think we'll bat again now.

I don't understand why the commentators were saying that they think Aus should send em back in so that England could bat at night. If Australia bat for about a day they will be sending England in tomorrow night instead of tonight. Same same.

England finally managed to get the ball moving a bit and also bowled on a fuller length for the first time this series. All too late though, they should have done that in the 1st session 1st day. Last night will count for nothing for England and will only add to their frustration when Australia go 2-0 either later today or tomorrow.

13 hours ago, btron3000 said:

Some fight finally from the Poms.  Think we'll bat again now.

I don't understand why the commentators were saying that they think Aus should send em back in so that England could bat at night. If Australia bat for about a day they will be sending England in tomorrow night instead of tonight. Same same.

I think Smith should have sent them back in. The Aussie bowlers didn't get through that much work compared to a usual test. I think Smith will have been surprised by how much England got out of it last night and really it should be England that are like 4/50 in their second innings this morning and still well behind and facing an innings defeat, the game would have been all over this morning as I suspect a good few more England wickets would have gone down

But whichever way was opted the end result would be an Australia victory really, but this way is a little slower, last night should have been the final evening session in this test really, should be no need to be even thinking about another evening session today, game should have been over before then.

Edited by WSWBoro
1 minute ago, WSWBoro said:

I think Smith should have sent them back in. The Aussie bowlers didn't get through that much work compared to a usual test. I think Smith will have been surprised by how much England got out of it last night and really it should be England that are like 4/50 in their second innings this morning and still well behind and facing an innings defeat.

But whichever way was opted the end result would be an Australia victory really.

Yep. The ball was moving around like crazy. If Aus bats for two sessions they will declare and send England in tonight. 

15 hours ago, sonar said:

Aus won't want to bat at night.........they'll send England in again.......probably.......maybe....lol

Your mob not doing too well. Thought they would play better than they have so far. Aussie bowlers are way more effective.

Meh, they should have sent England in again and been ruthless and aimed to finish this off 1st session today, England were there for the taking quickly in my opinion.

Standard England stuff from them in Australia really isn't it. With the exception of 2010/11 this is normal Ashes test cricket in Australia, it is never really competitive. 

I’m not so sure the Aussie would have had it moving as much as the Poms. We all thought this would be England’s best chance and it finally showed last night. Anderson when bowling well in those conditions is tough. Aussie bowlers weren’t looking as destructive and there was no way to tell it would zing around that much. Sometimes one ball can move more than others.

By the time we got out I thought it was 50-50 and we’ve gotta remember that all three of our pacemen have had injury issues.

But yeah either way 2-0.

• mack locked this topic