Guest ZipGunBop

Cricket thread

Join WestSydneyFootball.Com and participate by registering an account.

Slap on the wrist.

They'll miss tests against Zimbabwe & Bangladesh, then 4 against India, some meaningless ODI tours and be back in time for the World Cup and the 2019 Ashes.

I don't think anyone will shed tears for Warner.  

I think it's more than a slap on the wrist. India is the second biggest series, and they won't have any representative games to try and find some form for the World Cup and Ashes.

Considering the number of players that have been found guilty of ball tampering and only received fines, I'd say this is harsh. But if they only banned them until next summer, then many would say it is a slap on the wrist, so they probably felt they needed to give them something significant.

To me this is like consistently fining people for doing 70 in a 60 zone, then when someone drives 80 and the public lose their minds, you decide to give them a year in gaol. 

On a lighter note: Michael Vaughan tweeted the following (can't get it to embed):

Only 3 people knew ........ #MyArse

and someone responded:

I know of one ashes captain who still to this day is ignorant of ball tampering in his team even after one of his team mates wrote about it in a book. Weird stuff can happen mate.

On to more important cricket matters.... has anyone come close to breaking Boonies beer drinking record? 40 something cans on a flight from Sydney to London??  I think it worked out to 2 cans an hour. :drinks:

8 minutes ago, JackDoff said:

On to more important cricket matters.... has anyone come close to breaking Boonies beer drinking record? 40 something cans on a flight from Sydney to London??  I think it worked out to 2 cans an hour. :drinks:

2 cans an hour lol In Middlesbrough on a Sat night it would be 2 cans every 10 minutes.

Edited by WSWBoro

16 minutes ago, btron3000 said:

I don't think anyone will shed tears for Warner.  

I think it's more than a slap on the wrist. India is the second biggest series, and they won't have any representative games to try and find some form for the World Cup and Ashes.

Considering the number of players that have been found guilty of ball tampering and only received fines, I'd say this is harsh. But if they only banned them until next summer, then many would say it is a slap on the wrist, so they probably felt they needed to give them something significant.

To me this is like consistently fining people for doing 70 in a 60 zone, then when someone drives 80 and the public lose their minds, you decide to give them a year in gaol. 

On a lighter note: Michael Vaughan tweeted the following (can't get it to embed):

Only 3 people knew ........ #MyArse

and someone responded:

I know of one ashes captain who still to this day is ignorant of ball tampering in his team even after one of his team mates wrote about it in a book. Weird stuff can happen mate.

Australia is well shot of Warner, a damaged individual long before this episode. I can see him going off the rails a bit mind, he has that in him I think. Whilst I don't like him and glad he is gone I hope both Warner and Smith get some help on their return because they will be in a ******* awful place. They have their punishment, get their return to the country over and done with then everyone in the media shut the **** up and let them get on with it.

Surely one of the bowlers knew about this, given that it is them that are bowling the thing and trying to get it to swing

14 minutes ago, WSWBoro said:

2 cans an hour lol In Middlesbrough on a Sat night it would be 2 cans every 10 minutes.

Most scouse girls on a night out would break that record 

5 minutes ago, StringerBellend said:

Surely one of the bowlers knew about this, given that it is them that are bowling the thing and trying to get it to swing

I think the 'brains trust' who devised this ingenious scheme didn't actually manage to alter the ball much anyway, so it's possible the bowlers didn't notice much of a difference. Even they thought it looked a bit scuffed up, they're hardly going to go up to the umpires and say 'look I think someone's been messing with this ball but I'm not sure who.'

I think 12 months is harsh but I understand why they did it. Although it makes me laugh when sponsors like CommBank say it was 'inconsistent with their brand values'...what, like laundering money to terrorist organisations? And LG...what did you expect signing Warner up as a brand ambassador?

I hope Warner never plays again and it's funny how they said Bancroft won't be considered for leadership positions for 12 months but Warner never will be...just as a little parting **** you. If it's true that CA gave him the vice captaincy to 'reign him in' then that is one of the stupidest decisions in cricket history. His behaviour in this series especially has been completely erratic, from the way over the top send off, to the de Kock incident, to this...and I'm not at all surprised at the reports that he's ostracised within the team. 

I wish Smith was playing in the India series but I understand that it would look lenient if he didn't miss any home tests, plus he might not have received a great reception. Also I guess the fact that they lied about what they had been doing in the press conference on the day adds to it. 

8 hours ago, StringerBellend said:

I would certainly think that the bowlers were aware of Warner's "bandages" and any "normal" attempts to rough up the ball.  The Bancroft sandpaper incident specifically they might not have known about.

I would not be surprised if there was a "don't ask, don't tell" attitude to how the ball is treated while being passed back to the bowler.  And there is no doubt that there is an "acceptabe" amount of balltampering in cricket.  This is the fault of the officials for not cracking down on other balltamperers. For example, after Trescothick's book, and then Faf, the ICC could have passed a simple rule - anyone with anything in their mouth can not apply saliva to the ball. Done. But what do they do? Nothing. The just hand down fines one-by-one.

Officals and players in the professional era are guilty of the same thing - none of them care until the public is outraged enough to stop the money coming in. That's why Cricket Australia let the team act the way they were until now - they were winning, and winning brings in cash. That's why the ICC doesn't want to ban the best players etc. etc.

The whole game needs to take a look at itself. From the decision not to go to Olympics because that might encourage big countries like USA, China (who were actually going to pump money into cricket if it was in the Olympics) etc. to get involved and they might eventually take over, to keeping the World Cup down to 10 teams, to the big 3 getting the majority of cash and never playing the minnows, all the decisions in cricket of late have been about cash, not the betterment of the game. Like most sports, greedy businessmen are at the heart of the problem.

the banner thing at the end of the Ashes says enough about the culture of Australian cricket, comes from the top. This incident is just the logical next step in the general classless win at all costs attitude that has grown for year around the team

Lehaman’s press conference before quitting was surreal, with the we will no longer headbut the line thing, like he was just going to flick a switch. 

He had to go 

I wish I was kiwi sometimes there team is ace 

http://www.sportingnews.com/au/cricket/news/tim-paine-greater-australia-respect-south-africa-ball-tampering/gi1t475oonv41s7ta13ylsb9p

Nice to see a more civil atmosphere break out on the cricket ground, with the borrowing of a football tradition at the start of the latest Test match in South Africa.

Yesterday Michael Vaughan re-tweeted Gun and Moore's tweet about signing up Ben Stokes. I kid you not.

So a captain who had a player admit to balltampering will go on and on about the problems with Aussies, but then happily advocate for a dude who completely belted pulp out of someone outside a nightclub. 

The culture is not just awry in the Aussie team. 

Warner's continual use of the phrase "on day 3 at Newlands" just makes it all the more clear that the Aussie team knew about balltampering in general but not about the specific plan for sandpaper use on that occasion.

Did he have a parent at his presser or did his mum decide that at age thirty-whatever he could get by as long as he texted her every half hour telling her he was ok?

I thought the press conferences were awful to watch. No satisfaction from seeing anyone in that state regardless of the mistakes they have made. Hope they get help from here mentally and enjoy some time working with the kids and at club level.

Smith will deff be back in the Aussie team in a year, with some nice fluff pieces in the media with shots of him smiling and coaching kids, the media will rehabilitate from here. You will see these nice media pieces start to roll out in the next 6 months.

Bancroft hadn't fully fixed his position in the team. An opportunity for another younger player to make a mark and take his spot permanently. He could be the biggest looser career wise.

Hardest road for Warener to redemption. Media will remain hostile and will take some serious PR spin from here. Prob finished but not so sure.

Edited by WSWBoro

Agree Boro, and the thing that gets me is how hard everyone has been on Warner's press conference.  The asked extra tough questions of Warner and then reported on how he dodged the answers.  The SMH even had a body language expert in to say that Warner looked like a guy who cared most about himself in the press conference. All the media about Bancroft and Smith was fluffly, while all of Warner's was negative.  All it seemd to me was that Warner was trying not to dump his teammates in it but didn't want to lie either.

3 hours ago, btron3000 said:

Agree Boro, and the thing that gets me is how hard everyone has been on Warner's press conference.  The asked extra tough questions of Warner and then reported on how he dodged the answers.  The SMH even had a body language expert in to say that Warner looked like a guy who cared most about himself in the press conference. All the media about Bancroft and Smith was fluffly, while all of Warner's was negative.  All it seemd to me was that Warner was trying not to dump his teammates in it but didn't want to lie either.

The storyline has been set, Warner is the bad guy. 

For mine, Cricket Australia has created the  “head butt the line”, “mental disintegration”, “broad to go home crying” culture.

like I say if you create that culture of head butting the line you can’t then act surprised when someone goes past this invisible line, especially when his previous behaviour has been rewarded 

4 hours ago, btron3000 said:

That's exactly what happened, it's exactly what he was advised to do, and it's exactly what he should have done.

It was not up to Warner to answer some of those questions. It is up to CA to conduct a complete investigation and release their own findings.

Warner did exactly what he should have done. Were Bancroft and Smith put through the same 3rd degree? Nope. That didn't suit the media's agenda.

When Warner refused to answer, it should have been seen for what it was which is what I said above. Yet the media got salty that they didn't get their tabloid headlines for tomorrow's news. So now, instead of being responsible, they'll just go and make up the headlines anyway.

Grubs the lot of them.

I agree, but Warner could have avoided all that if he didn't wait 3 days to hold a press conference. 

I don't have any sympathy for him, he's been an absolute tool for basically his whole career, and he's still trying to use the 'but but they made fun of my wife and kids' angle to garner some sympathy. Give me a ******* break. He's the embodiment of 'can dish it out but can't take it'. 

I also noticed his wife's PR manager Roxy Jacenko who is like a celebrity PR person (what a time to be alive) was in the crowd, you can bet your house that there will be 'tell all' 60 minutes sob story in the pipeline. Channel 9 haven't committed to buying the rights to the cricket again, they could well be thinking of using all this to damage the brand for whichever network gets the rights. 

Now I'm angry about the grubby world of PR. 

10 hours ago, luisenrique said:

I agree, but Warner could have avoided all that if he didn't wait 3 days to hold a press conference. 

I don't have any sympathy for him, he's been an absolute tool for basically his whole career

What has the timing of the press conference got to do with it?

Being a tool is what he's being punished for. But that is not how punishments should work.

Again some of the blame has to be on cricket Australia and, it has to be said, Australian cricket fans. A few years ago Warner toned down his act. But we were losing and he wasn't playing well. Encouraged by Lehmann and the fans who wanted to see us win, Warner the "attack dog" came back. And there was never any consequences for his behaviour. They let him act like a dick and he thought it was ok. There have been plenty of Aussie cricketers - hell, sportspeople in general - who have acted the goat but when threatened with bans, ending of careers etc., they sort themselves out. Ponting was the latest one in the Aussie cricket team.

I am not condoning his behaviour, and I know there will be little sympathy for him (despite what I am writing I don't have any).  I just think the differing attitudes to his press conference is more about what peope think of him than what he did (of course we don't know the full details). Smith is the captain, and Bancroft did it. Yet the guy who is being most punished is the one who encouraged it? And I've no doubt that he was the team's designated ball-tamperer. Now everyone's gone quiet.

It was the same with the dispute with Cricket Australia. The others were happy to sit in the background while Warner took on Cricket Australia very publicly. That to me shows that he has some balls and the others are ******* cowards. They've let Warner fight the administration, they've let Warner be their balltamperer, and when the **** hits the fan they throw him under the bus. I have lost a lot of respect for Starc etc. The only ones that come out of this looking any good are the new blokes like Paine and Cummins. And of course Uzzie is just Uzzie haha

Oh, and one other thing, Bancroft and Smith blatantly lied. First to the umpire, then to the press after the day's play. Imagine if Warner did that! 

As far as I can see, of the three of them, Warner is the only one that has told the whole truth so far, and that is why he dodged the questions.

Smith actually got Bancroft to face the press and lie! That is absolutely horrible leadership. Horrible. Oh, but he's a nice guy. Why? Because he too was happy for Warner to the be the bad guy throughout all these situations?

On ‎1‎/‎04‎/‎2018 at 2:24 PM, Wanderboy said:

Warner did exactly what he should have done. Were Bancroft and Smith put through the same 3rd degree? Nope. That didn't suit the media's agenda

Bancroft's media redemption is underway already. :meep:

https://www.msn.com/en-au/sport/cricket/cameron-bancrofts-heart-warming-message-to-michael-klinger-that-shows-his-true-character/ar-AAvmBjn?ocid=spartandhp   

14 hours ago, btron3000 said:

What has the timing of the press conference got to do with it?

Because they wouldn't have had all those questions at a press conference after play on that day, and to a lesser extent as soon as he got off the plane. By not talking for 3 days he allowed others' version of the story to develop so inevitably the questions would be more detailed than they were to the other two. I agree that people's perception of him is making him seem worse, but that's the bed he's made for himself.

The rest of it is just speculation although if I had to guess I'd say your version is correct (designated ball tamperer etc). But something made him (if the story is correct) decide to take it from 'acceptable tampering' (the kind that every team does) to somewhat more dodgy (and a lot more ******* stupid...this is still the worst part of this) tampering. 

Overall though I think the public in general is judging all three by harsher standards than they would themselves. We've all done the wrong thing, probably more than once, in lives that very few people care about. These are people whose lives and jobs are played out on the public stage, and the repercussions of everything they ever do as well. They made a mistake, they did the wrong thing, but I find the rush to condemn them a bit sanctimonious. There are people even accusing them of crying 'only when they get caught'...well yeah. I didn't think any of the tears weren't genuine. At least there were tears...I haven't seen any from the countless politicians and CEOs who've 'apologised' for far worse things.

Embarrassing ending to this dreadful tour.

There is talk the players union has asked CA to review the severity of the punishment handed out and I wouldn't be surprised if the punishment handed out with be halved as the team needs Smith badly. 

After seemingly shitting the bed Australia could be in with a chance of a draw in this game vs Pakistan. Obviously it only takes one wicket for everything to change. Just goes to show why no other form of the game will ever beat test cricket. At its worst, its boring as bat ****, but at its best it really is an enthralling contest.

2 hours ago, Carns said:

After seemingly shitting the bed Australia could be in with a chance of a draw in this game vs Pakistan. Obviously it only takes one wicket for everything to change. Just goes to show why no other form of the game will ever beat test cricket. At its worst, its boring as bat ****, but at its best it really is an enthralling contest.

As someone who piled money onto the Pakistan win, very hopeful that another batting collapse occurs

44 minutes ago, Unlimited said:

As someone who piled money onto the Pakistan win, very hopeful that another batting collapse occurs

You disgust me.

Epic from Khawaja, Paine and Lyon.

The Marshes can **** off.