Guest ZipGunBop

Cricket thread

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, Erimus said:

Got to go Roy lol Great knock

The thing is he wasn't out. DRS like the VAR is meant to eliminate howlers.......makes you laugh.....lol

Edited by sonar

Join WestSydneyFootball.Com and participate by registering an account.

Roy will be kicking off with Bairstow over that wasted lbw review now :D

Could be some rain around lol Might have to turn in to bed if the covers come out.

2 minutes ago, Erimus said:

Could be some rain around lol Might have to turn in to bed if the covers come out.

Eng are so far in front evn  rain or DWL won't save Aus.......good game by your guys mate, better on the day, Really enjoyed the banter....lol

1 minute ago, sonar said:

Eng are so far in front evn  rain or DWL won't save Aus.......good game by your guys mate, better on the day, Really enjoyed the banter....lol

Night mate, sets up the Ashes well :D

Catching up on the last few pages.

1. India v NZ was awesome! That Guptill run out. Man.

2. England too good last night. I was glad they won it "properly", not by producing an absolutely flat wicket and hoping to win the toss and bat. 

3. Think it was a good toss to lose. Aussies have been surprisingly tentative with the bat and the best way to beat us was going to be play on that tension early. I think if we were chasing 350 we'd have felt free to have a crack and that would have suited Warner in particular.

4. Ussie was injured, but Aussies made bad selections. Before the match Mark Waugh said he would have picked Wade instead of Handscomb to replace Ussie, and Coulter-Nile instead of Stoinis. Stoinis has been battling injury and barely able to bowl, and his batting is ****, so what was the point of picking him? Handscomb, quite simply, is not World Cup standard. Good bowlers always trouble him because his technique is horrible.

5. England bowled so well. Archer is the business. Pace, bounce, movement, great slower balls. Got it all.

6. Sonar, don't buy into this "Aussie bad boy" **** the media love to put out there. It's just a narrative like Wanderers fans are hooligans. England are no angels. Their best player bashed a dude into pulp outside a nightclub not so long ago, and they all welcomed him back with open arms straight away. Apart from turning their (white ball) cricket around by blatantly cheating in 05, Atherton was also caught rubbing dirt into the ball as well. Even last night they were spearing their returns into the previously used wickets on the square. The Aussie ball tampering was the stupidest attempt of the lot, but the Poms who are booing them and who aren't just playing the "pantomime villian" thing are massive hypocrits.

Going back further, the whole "England are gentlemen, the Aussies are rough colonials" is an absolute furphy. England have the greatest cheater of all time in W.G.Grace, they bowled Bodyline while Australia refused to retaliate, and in the 60s they blatantly doctored pitches.  It wasn't until the 70s and the Chappell era that the Aussies started getting a bad name, and that just happened to coincide with the rise of media hype around the game. In 140 years of Test cricket we've only been the "bad boys" for 40 years. The Poms just love to steal the high moral ground whenever they can.

Sure, Warner is a bit of a douche, but I actually think for a guy growing up in a rough area and who obviously has a naturally abrasive character, he has done pretty well to grow from this experience. Wouldn't have been easy. And the team(s) now are full of good guys.  Cummins, Starc, Lyon, Carey, Paine, Ussie, Finch, Hazlewood etc.

Anyway, there is NO reason to hope we lose to the Poms. The Poms Sonar! What were you thinking?

7. Go NZ!!

8 minutes ago, btron3000 said:

Catching up on the last few pages.

1. India v NZ was awesome! That Guptill run out. Man.

2. England too good last night. I was glad they won it "properly", not by producing an absolutely flat wicket and hoping to win the toss and bat. 

3. Think it was a good toss to lose. Aussies have been surprisingly tentative with the bat and the best way to beat us was going to be play on that tension early. I think if we were chasing 350 we'd have felt free to have a crack and that would have suited Warner in particular.

4. Ussie was injured, but Aussies made bad selections. Before the match Mark Waugh said he would have picked Wade instead of Handscomb to replace Ussie, and Coulter-Nile instead of Stoinis. Stoinis has been battling injury and barely able to bowl, and his batting is ****, so what was the point of picking him? Handscomb, quite simply, is not World Cup standard. Good bowlers always trouble him because his technique is horrible.

5. England bowled so well. Archer is the business. Pace, bounce, movement, great slower balls. Got it all.

6. Sonar, don't buy into this "Aussie bad boy" **** the media love to put out there. It's just a narrative like Wanderers fans are hooligans. England are no angels. Their best player bashed a dude into pulp outside a nightclub not so long ago, and they all welcomed him back with open arms straight away. Apart from turning their (white ball) cricket around by blatantly cheating in 05, Atherton was also caught rubbing dirt into the ball as well. Even last night they were spearing their returns into the previously used wickets on the square. The Aussie ball tampering was the stupidest attempt of the lot, but the Poms who are booing them and who aren't just playing the "pantomime villian" thing are massive hypocrits.

Going back further, the whole "England are gentlemen, the Aussies are rough colonials" is an absolute furphy. England have the greatest cheater of all time in W.G.Grace, they bowled Bodyline while Australia refused to retaliate, and in the 60s they blatantly doctored pitches.  It wasn't until the 70s and the Chappell era that the Aussies started getting a bad name, and that just happened to coincide with the rise of media hype around the game. In 140 years of Test cricket we've only been the "bad boys" for 40 years. The Poms just love to steal the high moral ground whenever they can.

Sure, Warner is a bit of a douche, but I actually think for a guy growing up in a rough area and who obviously has a naturally abrasive character, he has done pretty well to grow from this experience. Wouldn't have been easy. And the team(s) now are full of good guys.  Cummins, Starc, Lyon, Carey, Paine, Ussie, Finch, Hazlewood etc.

Anyway, there is NO reason to hope we lose to the Poms. The Poms Sonar! What were you thinking?

7. Go NZ!!

I don't disagree but I thought that Aus should not of been allowed to play this ODI WC as punishment for the actions of Warner, Smith and Bancroft. Like the FFA , the ICC and the ICU (cycling) are soft. Maybe I'm too old school...........and I wasn't cheering for the poms I just wasn't cheering for us.......in this tournament. Normal service will resume shortly....lol

11 minutes ago, sonar said:

I don't disagree but I thought that Aus should not of been allowed to play this ODI WC as punishment for the actions of Warner, Smith and Bancroft. Like the FFA , the ICC and the ICU (cycling) are soft. Maybe I'm too old school...........and I wasn't cheering for the poms I just wasn't cheering for us.......in this tournament. Normal service will resume shortly....lol

Haha

But dude the punishment from ICC for ball tampering had been fines or a couple games suspension. It was only the outrage of Aussie fans that led to the ACB banning the players for a year. 

You can’t have one punishment for years and then change it without warning.

The administrators have been letting teams get away with ball tampering for decades - Imran Khan taught the NSW team the “secrets” of reverse swing in the early 80s, and dudes were doing it before that. EVERY grade cricketer or above that I know just laughed when it happened and said “yep, everyone does it”.

One year was about right. If only to temper the anger of Aussie fans. Certainly not based on precedent.

Ohh Btron you never disappoint :D Looking forward to the ashes banter on here :D

2 hours ago, Erimus said:

Ohh Btron you never disappoint :D Looking forward to the ashes banter on here :D

I can’t help myself when it comes to England and sport!

Would have been poetry had Warner or Smith hit the winning runs last night. Still plenty of summer to get ours back.

Anyway, surely a northerner such as yourself doesn’t like the English mustard tie wearing, pompous Lord’s dudes who think they are above everyone, especially the Aussies. 

2 minutes ago, btron3000 said:

Anyway, surely a northerner such as yourself doesn’t like the English mustard tie wearing, pompous Lord’s dudes who think they are above everyone, especially the Aussies. 

th?id=OIP.fpq6Vj9STmxmuywgwSUB3AHaFv&pid

Exactly.

According to that guy English cricket is beyond reproach. He’s probably a bit disgusted the best bowler was born in another country and didn’t go to Cambridge (or something).

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, btron3000 said:

Exactly.

According to that guy English cricket is beyond reproach. He’s probably a bit disgusted the best bowler was born in another country and didn’t go to Cambridge (or something).

Cricket in England almost has a big a schism as rugby between league and Union. If world series type stuff had happened in England pre war you would have probaby see a similar split in the game with the MCC mob rigidly sticking to test and the others embracing new changes and formats.

For me cricket was payed in old mining town / villages and steel work teams. My old grandad played for his steel works team and he was a massive fella, they all were, there was nothing posh or delicate about it and the pitches they played on were surrounded by heavy industry / docks, although the steel works provided some awesome facilities such as works / team club house and a better than you would think pitch, they were proud of that. Those inter-works comps and comps against other factories were taken VERY seriously and would draw big crowds for the finals, probably up until the 70's, so before my time. I did see my old man play for his works side though, and I even got a few knocks when someone dropped out, I played as a 13 year old against big blokes lol It wasn't quaint English village scenes, I would definitely describe the vibe I came from as more Australian, and when I go to the SCG to see an Australian test that does not involve England I don't feel out of place.

It is interesting that England have a terrible records at Lords, they are much more comfortable out in the regions, especially the more working class grounds like Edgbaston, Old Trafford or Headingley. The expansion of international cricket in to County Durham at Chester-le-Street has been very successful being so close to Sunderland, Newcastle and Middlesbrough.

I think the whole Lords thing and the stiff old ****ers in their bacon and egg coloured ties have not represented English cricket for a long time..

Edited by Erimus

A bit surprised with one name NOT being mentioned in the last few days for Australia was Marnus Laubashagne, tearing it up for Glamorgan at the moment, first batsmen to get to a thousand runs this summer in the county cricket leagues, the boy is a good 'un.

4 hours ago, btron3000 said:

Exactly.

Didn't realise that Jimmy Anderson was either of those !! :P

Another long night coming up. NZ deff shouldn't be taken lightly and the fact the game is at Lords evens the contest up as England hate playing there.

Will be closer than people think and NZ might just do it i think!

All depends on England’s first 10 overs. Boult and Henry (or a sneaky over of spin!) get two wickets and England in trouble. Openers survive (especially Roy) NZ in trouble.

Good toss to lose. Surprised NZ batted. Getting the English openers out there while still nervous would have been a good option. Especially given NZ’s problem with their own openers. They are just asking for England to get off to a great start now. Getting Roy and or Bairstow out early would have put the pressure on England.

10 minutes ago, btron3000 said:

Good toss to lose. Surprised NZ batted. Getting the English openers out there while still nervous would have been a good option. Especially given NZ’s problem with their own openers. They are just asking for England to get off to a great start now. Getting Roy and or Bairstow out early would have put the pressure on England.

nahhh NZ's game now, they are faves to win this now surely.

9 minutes ago, Erimus said:

nahhh NZ's game now, they are faves to win this now surely.

We can all see through your reverse jinxing Erimus!

Look how green this pitch is!!

Can’t believe NZ batted on this, with clouds above too.

2 minutes ago, btron3000 said:

We can all see through your reverse jinxing Erimus!

I really do think this will be a MUCH harder test than Australia though, much closer.

1 minute ago, btron3000 said:

Look how green this pitch is!!

Can’t believe NZ batted on this, with clouds above too.

Jimmy Anderson said pre match green grass doesn't always mean much at Lords, the pitch is bone dry underneath....he did say he would have bowled first, but he would say that being a member of the bowlers union.

James Anderson

England bowler on BBC Test Match Special

I'd want to bowl first here. New Zealand will think if they get something on the board they can defend it.

It's tricky at Lord's - the grass doesn't necessarily mean it will do loads and the pitch is dry underneath.

Article Reactions
  •  
    93 likes93
  •  
    Dislike
    16 dislikes16

Yeah but they always say it’s overhead that you look for at Lords. And it’s cloudy af.

11 minutes ago, Erimus said:

I really do think this will be a MUCH harder test than Australia though, much closer.

Me too. NZ bowling is quality.

But I also think Aus would have been a tough test for England at Lords. That’s why losing to South Africa was bad for Australia.

All going right for NZ with the lbw review and all........I just have a feeling (and no messing around) NZ are going to do this...just wait and see,,,

Just now, btron3000 said:

Me too. NZ bowling is quality.

But I also think Aus would have been a tough test for England at Lords. That’s why losing to South Africa was bad for Australia.

Aus has a good bowling attack....Starc has gotten wickets in two world cups now......batting too hit and miss...especially Finch/Maxwelll.

2 minutes ago, Erimus said:

All going right for NZ with the lbw review and all........I just have a feeling (and no messing around) NZ are going to do this...just wait and see,,,

Getting the dsiappointment over with a bit early aren't you mate.....we're only 5 overs in....ANYTHING can happen in these games....lol