Cricket thread

Guest ZipGunBop

Just now, btron3000 said:

You don’t want them to bat again? :D

Have you seen Australia bat? 150 lead is like a thousand run lead to a decent team.

moen Ali is crap, if Lyon is bowling with a decent total in 4th innings we are stuffed 

1 minute ago, btron3000 said:

Three bouncers in a row and Broad gets out. Who would have thought? ******* hell. Could have had him out an hour ago by giving him some chin music.

Yeah, saying same thing on BBC Test Match Special, odd bowling, Jimmy tries a reverse sweep lol! :D

This is the Steve Smith test, Australia should win with any kind of lead around 150 or above on this wicket, will be very hard going batting 4th on this. It is England that will be now thinking how do we avoid defeat from here.

Smith will see Australia to a substantial lead and the wicket will do for England, Lyon should bring it home.

The return of Smith and the loss of Jimmy the big stories. England so badly needed a fully firing Jimmy now.

Its been an entertaining test. Ashes on the line for England at Lords for sure.

Edited by Erimus

You don't really want to give a team a target less than 4 runs an over in the remaining overs. Australia already has that many (320) if they declare end of play.

If Australia bats through to 10 overs left that 4 runs an over target would be 360. Which Australia is close to getting.

6 more overs, 4 runs an over, puts Australia at 364 ahead and 10 overs left in the day.

I would guess right now at 430/7 the target will be to keep that 4 an over going and declare at around 455, 360 to win with 10 overs in the day to bowl. They might also try to accelerate the run rate to 8 or more an over and declare a little earlier at a higher target. 370 to win with 12 overs to go at England would also be a good place to declare. I forget how many overs you lose in an innings switch so that might adjust things slightly.

edit - Looks like they are ignoring my sterling advice. I think this is being overly cautious. Although we're in front by 397 which is a massive target compared to 360 or even 370. This game should be unloseable now.

Ridiculously conservative.

They now only get 3 overs from Cummins and Pattinson, maybe one from Lyon. Or two if the seamers are getting nothing.

Declare with 12 to bowl, and all bowlers get a crack tonight, and you get second new ball tomorrow with plenty of time left. Not that they'll need it.

The largest 4th innings total EVER at Edgbaston is 280-something. 

19 minutes ago, Erimus said:

England 1 test down going to Lords...bad times for England. Lose at Lords series over for mine.

This test will most probably be a draw. Aus batted too long imho. I think they wanted to be sure they weren't going to lose this one. Once the shine goes off the ball it's an autobahn. Agree Lyon will be the key. Aus made a mistake leaving Hazlewood out also . A better bowler than Siddle in these conditions as he is a bit like McGrath in that he can bowl line and length all day. He can tie down an end while Lyon goes for it at the other. 

I can’t see England batting out a day, they  don’t have the Atherton or cook type fplayer to do that.

root will need to step up, but I suspect we will get another pretty 30-50 then a soft wdismissal 

Could at least be a good game if they none or one down at lunch for 100 

even putting Anderson injury aside poor selections from England 3 med fast bowlers who are toothless when the ball doesn’t swing and a spinner who doesn’t spin the ball much and lacks the control to build any pressure 

really could have done with a Fast bowler and a spinner 

Edited by StringerBellend
39 minutes ago, sonar said:

This test will most probably be a draw. Aus batted too long imho. I think they wanted to be sure they weren't going to lose this one. Once the shine goes off the ball it's an autobahn. Agree Lyon will be the key. Aus made a mistake leaving Hazlewood out also . A better bowler than Siddle in these conditions as he is a bit like McGrath in that he can bowl line and length all day. He can tie down an end while Lyon goes for it at the other. 

Not sure what is going on with these duke balls either. They turn in to a bean bag within 20 overs.

1 minute ago, StringerBellend said:

I can’t see England batting out a day, they  don’t have the Atherton or cook type fplayer to do that.

root will need to step up, but I suspect we will get another pretty 30-50 then a soft wdismissal 

Could at least be a good game if they none or one down at lunch for 100 

even putting Anderson injury aside poor selections from England 3 med fast bowlers who are toothless when the ball doesn’t swing and a spinner who doesn’t spin the ball much and lacks the control to build any pressure 

really could have done with a Fast bowler and a spinner 

Agreed, it wont be a draw. Ali's confidence  is shot, Jimmy was never fully fit and Archer was a blow.

Smith is going to drag this side to a series win for sure.

15 minutes ago, Erimus said:

Agreed, it wont be a draw. Ali's confidence  is shot, Jimmy was never fully fit and Archer was a blow.

Smith is going to drag this side to a series win for sure.

At moment smith is the difference and if Australia are to win Lyon

root has a bad habit of getting pretty 50s and not going on with it 

Smith just keeps batting 

England have a better chance of a win than a draw. Any chance of draw will come from keeping a win in the equation and Australia then going to defensive field 

Hopefully wicket continues to do sod all, Australian bowlers aren’t any quicker than the English 

1 hour ago, StringerBellend said:

At moment smith is the difference and if Australia are to win Lyon

root has a bad habit of getting pretty 50s and not going on with it 

Smith just keeps batting 

England have a better chance of a win than a draw. Any chance of draw will come from keeping a win in the equation and Australia then going to defensive field 

Hopefully wicket continues to do sod all, Australian bowlers aren’t any quicker than the English 

All England can do is break the day down session at a time. Can't afford to lose any more than 2 wickets before lunch.

You look at England's batting and it would need the likes of Root,  Bairstow, and Stokes to dig in. Bairstow looks out of form.

If England did pull off a miracle it would be a big get out of jail free card!

• mack locked this topic