Guest ZipGunBop

Cricket thread

Join WestSydneyFootball.Com and participate by registering an account.

On 12/08/2019 at 9:50 PM, Erimus said:

England have a dreadful ashes record at Lords, with the injuries and other issues I think they would take a rain affected draw right now lol

Good to see the WC win hasn’t affected the traditional English attitudes to cricket! 

A draw and Australia only has to win one more game to retain the Ashes. You need a win, otherwise you gotta win three in a row or two and another draw.

Broad, Woakes, Archer. That is a good Test attack for Lord’s.

Also, this thing about Lord’s being good for Australia is a bit of a furphy. England have won two of the last three. 

I think Aus will win, but the rain and the pitch could play a big part here.

13 minutes ago, btron3000 said:

Good to see the WC win hasn’t affected the traditional English attitudes to cricket! 

A draw and Australia only has to win one more game to retain the Ashes. You need a win, otherwise you gotta win three in a row or two and another draw.

Broad, Woakes, Archer. That is a good Test attack for Lord’s.

Also, this thing about Lord’s being good for Australia is a bit of a furphy. England have won two of the last three. 

I think Aus will win, but the rain and the pitch could play a big part here.

With the rain and it possibly being a draw i am more thinking at least it wont be a 5-0 whitewash rather than any miraculous final 3 test come back :D I'll take 4-0 lol

Should be play tonight, better waether forecast.

Just a gap in the weather though as tomorrow could be another wash out.

I did not think that Australia would elect to bowl if won the toss! But what do I know, could have England 5 down in quick time....

Everyone on TMS said it is a bat first wicket...then the toss winner bowls :D

Edited by Erimus

Yeah a bit surprising but I think it shows Australia’s mindset. They figure they need to take 20 wickets and if it rains more then the best way to do that is to get into them early and hopefully only bat once, or at least chase a small total.

It could backfire but also I reckon they think that if England get a decent total then the pitch will be decent and Australia will hopefully be able to bat long enough so it’s a draw.

They’re backing themselves. That’s good.

6 minutes ago, Erimus said:

I did not think that Australia would elect to bowl if won the toss! But what do I know, could have England 5 down in quick time....

Everyone on TMS said it is a bat first wicket...then the toss winner bowls :D

Root said he probably would have bowled but he didn’t look too bothered 

He’s not a test match batsmen, first ball has a massive swipe misses, second one plays and misses third edges it. 

Totally crap. Now for a pretty 32 from root and then out

Good toss to win and bowl first then...calling it now - Australia win...test over..

Roy doesn't have the mindset for test cricket.

Edited by Erimus

2 minutes ago, StringerBellend said:

He’s not a test match batsmen, first ball has a massive swipe misses, second one plays and misses third edges it. 

Totally crap. Now for a pretty 32 from root and then out

The only way to give his Test career a chance is to put him at 6. The selectors have crucified him.

Just now, btron3000 said:

The only way to give his Test career a chance is to put him at 6. The selectors have crucified him.

We already have Jos Buttler how many one day sloggers does the middle order need, the selectors where hoping for a Warner 

Edited by StringerBellend

1 minute ago, StringerBellend said:

We already have Jos Buttler how many one day sloggers does the middle order need, the selectors where hoping for a Warner 

True. I was just talking about him in isolation.

Personally I think don’t pick him, he literally can’t go an over without having a swing. But pick him at 6 or not at all.

Geez it’s not bouncing much. The nicks were thick but the last ball of Cummins’ over died before it got to Paine.

39 minutes ago, Carns said:

This is full days lost, yeah? Makes sense. Here it either pours or not much. Melbourne and some of the English grounds it just drizzles forever.

Getting Root early is big for Aus. A couple more this session and the decision to bowl first well vindicated.

17 minutes ago, StringerBellend said:

I was close

Mate. He didn’t even get 50% of your prediction! :P

Odd one keeping low already. Australia better knock them over cheap because batting last here is not gonna be easy.

1 hour ago, sonar said:

Getting Root early is big for Aus. A couple more this session and the decision to bowl first well vindicated.

England won't be too unhappy with that session. There will be no play tomorrow, its going to pour down. If England can bat out the day the game will struggle to find a winner, showers forecast for Saturday and Sunday also.

Australia need England all out for 80 - 100 to make a game of this.

Edited by Erimus

58 minutes ago, btron3000 said:

Mate. He didn’t even get 50% of your prediction! :P

Odd one keeping low already. Australia better knock them over cheap because batting last here is not gonna be easy.

Could still be in a first innings come the 5th day lol

What about luck?

In the first Test Burns played and missed 40 times when he got his hundred. Siddle had a couple of drops and a couple go through slips.

Now twice Burns has been dropped... off Siddle.

Siddle is getting the shits and rightly so.

Just now, btron3000 said:

What about luck?

In the first Test Burns played and missed 40 times when he got his hundred. Siddle has a couple of drops and a couple go through slips.

Now twice Burns has been dropped... off Siddle.

Siddle is getting the shits and rightly so.

50 now, yeah he has been lucky again.

He looks a solid top order player though regardless of that luck.

19 minutes ago, Erimus said:

50 now, yeah he has been lucky again.

He looks a solid top order player though regardless of that luck.

Yep part of being a Test batsman - especially an opener - is toughing it out. A few of his teammates could learn a thing or two off him.

Short stuff did for both him and Denly though. As soon as they got peppered they struggled a bit, so be interesting to see how that progresses.

Stokes comes in, sways out the way of one, then bang pulls one for four. That’s the difference.

No matter what happens in the rest of the Test, this is one of the best bowling attacks we’ve ever had, including the subs.

Slow pitch, not doing heaps, they just keep plugging away, putting it in the right spot, testing them out and being patient. Then when a partnership gets going, they bang em in at the body to unsettle them. Then there’s the G.O.A.T. 

So versatile. Proper Test cricketers, adapting to the situation and conditions.

16 hours ago, btron3000 said:

No matter what happens in the rest of the Test, this is one of the best bowling attacks we’ve ever had, including the subs.

Slow pitch, not doing heaps, they just keep plugging away, putting it in the right spot, testing them out and being patient. Then when a partnership gets going, they bang em in at the body to unsettle them. Then there’s the G.O.A.T. 

So versatile. Proper Test cricketers, adapting to the situation and conditions.

Hmmmm to be honest i think the England batting line up is the worst i have seen since the late 80's and at times in the 90's. A real rag tag of out of form players and one day sloggers.

I think quality wise this is the poorest Ashes for some time. Steve Smith apart of course, and yes Australia are bowling with discipline, but one of best ever Ausralian bowling attacks..nahhhhh.

England what with Anderson and Ali issues i dont really feel they have had a proper settled normal bowling session yet.

Australia will win Ashes, and the next few test series for Australia will demonstrate how bad England were this series....when Australia face a decent side.

Edited by Erimus

From the BBC...grim

There are problems at most places in the top six and they are both familiar to this team and more serious than in many years gone by. Not since 1950 has an England Test top order averaged fewer runs per dismissal. Not in many years of home Ashes series have there been so few established Test stars in close to their best nick.

I think this might be the worst England side, batting, that I have ever seen since I started watching in the late 80's. I just cannot see how this England side can win a test match against any main nation, they struggled to beat Ireland in the pre Ashes warm up. They just look so underdone. 

I wasn't actually joking when I said I would take a rain draw here to avoid 5 - 0 lol

Edited by Erimus