Guest ZipGunBop

Cricket thread

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, Erimus said:

From the BBC...grim

There are problems at most places in the top six and they are both familiar to this team and more serious than in many years gone by. Not since 1950 has an England Test top order averaged fewer runs per dismissal. Not in many years of home Ashes series have there been so few established Test stars in close to their best nick.

I think this might be the worst England side, batting, that I have ever seen since I started watching in the last 80's. I just cannot see how this England side can win a test match against any main nation, they struggled to beat Ireland in the pre Ashes warm up. They just look so underdone.

Aus batting is just as iffy. Aus can be just as brittle as Eng and the only major difference in the first test was Smith ( and Wade ). Aus have the capacity to get rolled for low scores so Smith has to perform or our batting looks at times like Eng....mediocre. Warner should just put on the bunny ears when Broad is bowling to him.....lol

Aus are bowling as a unit, Eng not so much. The key difference so far for me has been Lyon. Lyon is better than any Eng spinner that I am aware of and because Lyon can bowl long spells at one end and be dangerous at the same time the Aus quicks are getting four or five over spells at full tilt then getting a rest.

I'm not counting us as winning the Ashes at the moment but you would rather be where Aus is placed than Eng. Rain may save Eng this test and then there will be still 3 games to play. It ain't over.

Edited by sonar

Join WestSydneyFootball.Com and participate by registering an account.

1 hour ago, sonar said:

Aus batting is just as iffy. Aus can be just as brittle as Eng and the only major difference in the first test was Smith ( and Wade ). Aus have the capacity to get rolled for low scores so Smith has to perform or our batting looks at times like Eng....mediocre. Warner should just put on the bunny ears when Broad is bowling to him.....lol

Aus are bowling as a unit, Eng not so much. The key difference so far for me has been Lyon. Lyon is better than any Eng spinner that I am aware of and because Lyon can bowl long spells at one end and be dangerous at the same time the Aus quicks are getting four or five over spells at full tilt then getting a rest.

I'm not counting us as winning the Ashes at the moment but you would rather be where Aus is placed than Eng. Rain may save Eng this test and then there will be still 3 games to play. It ain't over.

Smith is the difference in the batting and that’s enough to win the series 

37 minutes ago, StringerBellend said:

Smith is the difference in the batting and that’s enough to win the series 

Smith may not be enough. Aus 3-60...collapse on the way.....this series is not over by a long way.

20 minutes ago, sonar said:

Smith may not be enough. Aus 3-60...collapse on the way.....this series is not over by a long way.

Rain is coming..chucking it down 10 miles west of Lords....

Rain has arrived, that's it for the day.

Posted (edited)

Thats the kind of thing i would do with my lad :D love the lords suit walking by...gonna take a punt they talk with either a north of England accent or Australian.

Draw looking odds on. Also i think Archer is going to a truely world class player in the years ahead.

Edited by Erimus

2 hours ago, Erimus said:

Draw looking odds on.

It is, but with the bowling much better than both batting orders, who knows?

Australia could get rolled in the first session 100 runs behind, then England only need to bat for two sessions and give Australia a tough last day to survive.

Or Smith could haul Australia into a small lead by midway through the last session, putting England in a spot of needing to bat until at least tea tomorrow to put the second innings total out of reach for Australia.

The more I think about options like the above, the more I think there might be a result, and England are favourites to get one e.g. even if Aus bat for half the fourth day, they'll still be 50 - 60 behind. Then if England bat two sessions, Aus are about 250 behind and have to surive most of the day. Do we trust either team to bat long periods under pressure?

Decision to bowl looking shaky now, given how hard it was to bat yesterday. Was gutsy, but could come back to haunt them, a-la Hussain and Ponting's decisions to bowl...

All 4 results stil possible!

20 hours ago, Erimus said:

Hmmmm to be honest i think the England batting line up is the worst i have seen since the late 80's and at times in the 90's. A real rag tag of out of form players and one day sloggers.

I think quality wise this is the poorest Ashes for some time. Steve Smith apart of course, and yes Australia are bowling with discipline, but one of best ever Ausralian bowling attacks..nahhhhh.

Yeah I guess compared to some of the teams that beat us with Cook (ugh), Bell (ugh), Pietersen etc., it's pretty bad.

And maybe it was a bit of hyperbole to say "one of best ever" but you'd have to go pretty far to find a bowling lineup that has 4 legitimate opening bowlers who are all different, a first change in Siddle who can bowl all day, and a great spinner. It's really the versatility and depth that's impressive. No matter what the pitch, they can get on top of you. Especially flat or slow pitches. Pat Cummins is incredible on unhelpful pitches. He's gonna be one of the best of all time. He averages under 21, and he's been first change most of that time, and I can't recall him ever really having a pitch which was super-friendly, except maybe his first Test where he was MOM.

Good to see an England bowler, bowling at over 90mph and not spraying it everywhere 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, StringerBellend said:

Good to see an England bowler, bowling at over 90mph and not spraying it everywhere 

Lol. Harmison's first ball caught by 2nd slip.

Now that's a ******* wide!!

Edited by Wanderboy

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Wanderboy said:

Lol. Harmison's first ball caught by 2nd slip.

Now that's a ******* wide!!

To be fair I am gonna let Harmo off for that. I used to play for a village team just outside the Boro in England and if I was opening the bowling I would brick it in front of around 5 spectators and 80 cows, its a nervous time.  I can only imagine what it is like bowling the opening ball of an Ashes test with a stadium full of people and millions watching..

You don't half get some swing and movement off the seam after you pick the ball out of a fresh cow pat though.....just got to remember not to lick your fingers when shinning the ball..

Edited by Erimus

Posted (edited)

I could imagine that a cow pad would offer more opportunity for reverse swing than sandpaper, although it could be touch and go on that one, and I wouldn't want to be the player that volunteers to load his pockets full of cow ****.

Edited by Wanderboy

1 minute ago, Wanderboy said:

I could imagine that a cow pad would offer more opportunity for reverse swing than sandpaper, although it could be touch and go on that one, and I wouldn't want to be the player that volunteers to load his pockets full of cow ****.

Moeen Ali seems to bowl cow pats 

3 minutes ago, StringerBellend said:

Moeen Ali seems to bowl cow pats 

Which is why I would assume he isn't in the squad anymore.

Btw, I agree.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to seeing the cricket start again tonight, if it ain't ******* raining again.

I've just watched 25 minutes of the Wallabies, and that'll probably do me again since the last time I watched them - about 10 years ago.

I gave them a chance to regain my interest. 10 years, and after 25 minutes, I'm probably done for another 10 years. What a truly shite sport, but not nearly as bad as the worst sport in the world - that game from down south.

18 minutes ago, Wanderboy said:

Anyway, I'm looking forward to seeing the cricket start again tonight, if it ain't ******* raining again.

I've just watched 25 minutes of the Wallabies, and that'll probably do me again since the last time I watched them - about 10 years ago.

I gave them a chance to regain my interest. 10 years, and after 25 minutes, I'm probably done for another 10 years. What a truly shite sport, but not nearly as bad as the worst sport in the world - that game from down south.

Like a good British & Irish Lions test series, about as good as Union gets. 

Hopefully some play in the cricket today, forecast for sun and some showers later.

9 minutes ago, Erimus said:

Hopefully some play in the cricket today, forecast for sun and some showers later.

I know this is a cricket thread, but I have flown to Melbourne before for Wallabies vs All Blacks tests and also British Lions tests. Sensational weekends with mates.

Back when rugby was enjoyable to watch.

For A-League off season entertainment, I'd much prefer to watch RL and the Eels live on tv any day, and many other sports on tv, like the Tour de France. The Tour is just stunning tv.

Anyway, let's hope you are right and the weather is kind at Lords today.  Will be a most interesting day's play. It really could go either way, although I'm guessing that too much time has been lost to see a result. 

Going into the 3rd test with Oz still leading 0 - 1.

Smith is going to be the difference again..big 150 incoming.

1 hour ago, Erimus said:

2003 wasn’t bad 

ohhh Johnny Johnny..

1 minute ago, StringerBellend said:

2003 wasn’t bad 

ohhh Johnny Johnny..

I was at ANZ that night!!!!:xnod::good:

8 minutes ago, StringerBellend said:

Me too

Man we got so much stick from those around us that night...some not all that great banter lol, It was sooooo ******* sweet when that ball sailed between the sticks...like a bit of banter, but a few poor losers around that night :D

2 minutes ago, Erimus said:

Man we got so much stick from those around us that night...some not all that great banter lol, It was sooooo ******* sweet when that ball sailed between the sticks...like a bit of banter, but a few poor losers around that night :D

The Aus rugby fans don't do banter that well mate.....one maul too many for a lot of them methinks.......:ninja:

Smith looking comfortable, not really testing him again.

1 hour ago, Erimus said:

Had a mini bus Booked to the city as we were heading along the driver says “that’s John Howard behind us” of course we don’t believe it, but then the rego plate on the car was C-01, next set of lights the car pulls up along us, the red lasts for ages, our mini bus of somewhat drunk Englishmen give a decent chorus of oh Johnny Johnny Johnny Johnny Howard, the window on car comes down and we get a slight wave from Johnny sitting next to the lovely Jeanette. 

Posted (edited)

That's the way to deal with Smith, break his ******* arm...aim the next ball in the same place...

Edited by Erimus

Beware the injured batter.

Well done Eng....ball missing the bat by at least a foot..........appeal.....got to DRS........not out......Root should of gone to specsavers...........lol

5 minutes ago, Erimus said:

That's the way to deal with Smith, break his ******* arm...aim the next ball in the same place...

This is great.  Finally someone giving him a proper test.  Pity about the rain in this match, if this was Day 3 this could be an epic.