Cricket thread

Guest ZipGunBop

How to throw away a test match. Let the recognised batter just pick off whatever singles he feels like even when you've got 20/30/40/50 runs in the pocket, bowl garbage in the few delivers you get to the tailender.

Wow. That's incredible. Lyon drops a certain run out.

And now after wasting their review when they knew it wasn't close, they just got a very close LBW shout. I reckon that was out on review.

And it was plumb.

More bouncers.

FFS they let the #11 get just 17 balls, only one run in a 70+ partnership. And picked it up on another short ball.

Captain needs to be better at game management than that. It's simply not good enough to make such critical mistakes in the game plan and your resource management, over and over.

Gift the opponent free singles when you know he's going to try for them to get the strike back next over. Utterly waste your review when the bowler knew immediately it wasn't out. Keep telling your bowlers to bowl rubbish short stuff at batters who aren't going to put the bat near the ball if they can't help it.

6 minutes ago, mack said:

Captain needs to be better at game management than that. It's simply not good enough to make such critical mistakes in the game plan and your resource management, over and over.

Gift the opponent free singles when you know he's going to try for them to get the strike back next over. Utterly waste your review when the bowler knew immediately it wasn't out. Keep telling your bowlers to bowl rubbish short stuff at batters who aren't going to put the bat near the ball if they can't help it.

The wasted review was shocking, it was clearly outside the line. 

Stokes though what an innings

Stokes was amazing but what a bunch of ****-ups.

Throwing to the wrong end. Only bringing the field up on the 5th ball. Dropping the catch at third man. Fumbling the runout. Using the ******* review when YOU KNOW IT’S NOT OUT!

We choked. Plain and simple.

Paine needs to answer for that review. Stupidest ******* decision since Lance Klusener chose to run with 2 balls remaining in 1999 World Cup.

He’s gonna give me me the shits in post match interviews because he’s gonna be all “shucks”.

6 hours ago, btron3000 said:

Well at least the series is alive and won’t dribble out to nothing. 

All set up for Smith to come back and win it for us...

Jimmy Anderson WILL be back for his home ground test...perhaps even his goodbye to test cricket to his home Lancashire crowd.

Its sets up an absolute beauty!

Edited by Erimus
7 hours ago, mack said:

How to throw away a test match. Let the recognised batter just pick off whatever singles he feels like even when you've got 20/30/40/50 runs in the pocket, bowl garbage in the few delivers you get to the tailender.

Wow. That's incredible. Lyon drops a certain run out.

And now after wasting their review when they knew it wasn't close, they just got a very close LBW shout. I reckon that was out on review.

And it was plumb.

More bouncers.

FFS they let the #11 get just 17 balls, only one run in a 70+ partnership. And picked it up on another short ball.

Ben Stokes didn't win it .....DRS did.

As I have said before this test DRS reviews should not be in the players hands. It was bought in to stop umpiring howlers.....it hasn't. Stokes was out LBW to Lyon...the umpire on the field was in error and the not out should of been overturned.

2 minutes ago, sonar said:

Ben Stokes didn't win it .....DRS did.

As I have said before this test DRS reviews should not be in the players hands. It was bought in to stop umpiring howlers.....it hasn't. Stokes was out LBW to Lyon...the umpire on the field was in error and the not out should of been overturned.

Booooooooo lol just stand back and admire the innings.

6 minutes ago, Erimus said:

Booooooooo lol just stand back and admire the innings.

The wrong decision was made.He was out. Did Ben Stokes play well ...?.....great hundred.....great innings....but the point remains he was out LBW and the game should of ended there. It's not sour grapes.......I have had this view before about DRS. They should review all appeals...it's easy enough to do. The umpire has DRS to get the right decision....they didn't use it. It should not be up to players....they're not the umpires.

Edited by sonar
4 minutes ago, Erimus said:

umpire caught up in the mayhem.

You would say that except it was Joel Wilson, the guy that made about 20 glaring errors in the first Test. The guy that was in the DRS booth in the second Test and kept asking them to rock and roll lbw decisions to see if the batsman had nicked it, when it plainly obvious after one viewing.

He's the sole reason they are considering doing away with the neutral umpires. Think about that - in a game that has had dodgy match-fixing problems, he is so bad that some people would rather risk having a local, biased umpire than him!

He is, easily, the worst official of any professional sport there has ever been. I honestly think he might have sight problems. It got to the point where on cricinfo, during a rain delay in the second Test, he went out to inspect the pitch, and someone wrote "If Joel Wilson says it's raining, it's probably not".  :lol:

34 minutes ago, sonar said:

EC0zTApUcAEsa6Y?format=jpg&name=small

Do you want to put a pic up of the review that Paine wasted an over earlier? With a ball that even somebody as blind as an A League referee could tell you pitched outside the line

Only got themselves to blame. 

Just now, StringerBellend said:

Do you want to put a pic up of the review that Paine wasted an over earlier? With a ball that even somebody as blind as an A League referee could tell you pitched outside the line

Only got themselves to blame. 

Stringer.... irrespective of the result in the 3rd Test.......... I've been totally consistant in the view that DRS should not be in the players hands...........  Go read my previous posts on this.It's not a matter of sour grapes. DRS is an aide that was bought in to stop umpiring howlers.....the on field umpire got it wrong. Stokes was out. My view won't change regardless of who the wrong decision is in favour of.

I absolutely cannot believe they wasted that review.  At the time I messaged some mates and said "Why the hell are they reviewing this, they might need it". (Actually, I used capitals and about a thousand exclamation marks I was that pissed off). Absolute total meltdown. 

Paine is not a good enough batsman to keep his place. Carey is at least as good a keeper. So the only thing keeping him there is his captaincy (and the fact that there are limited options). If he's gonna do things like that then why is he in the team?

Also, had they reviewed Stokes on the evening of Day 4 of the second Test, then Australia probably win that. So it's no stretch of the imagination to say that with better reviews we could have been 3-0 up.

Funny thing about sport - the story totally changes depending on the outcome.  I've been watching videos and reading things on cricinfo, and people are saying that Stokes held his nerve better than Australia.

And yet he ran out one partner, had a couple of mixups, and then stranded a dude with one run to win. Had Lyon taken that ball everyone would be saying that Stokes cracked right at the moment of truth.

1 hour ago, Erimus said:

Jimmy Anderson WILL be back for his home ground test...perhaps even his goodbye to test cricket to his home Lancashire crowd.

Its sets up an absolute beauty!

For sure. Anderson and Smith back. Essentially the best 11s of both teams (except for Paine lol). Australia still only need to win one Test, but it's gonna be hard to turn this around.

41 minutes ago, sonar said:

Stringer.... irrespective of the result in the 3rd Test.......... I've been totally consistant in the view that DRS should not be in the players hands...........  Go read my previous posts on this.It's not a matter of sour grapes. DRS is an aide that was bought in to stop umpiring howlers.....the on field umpire got it wrong. Stokes was out. My view won't change regardless of who the wrong decision is in favour of.

There is also anecdotal evidence that it is causing more players, including kids, to question the umpire. But I’m not sure what other system you have. Leave it in the hands of umps and they’d review every time. 

I said it years ago, we need RoboUmp. Just get rid of the umpires. With DRS the ump’s real job is to keep a lid on behaviour and make sure over rates are reasonable, two things they fail miserably at.

18 minutes ago, btron3000 said:

For sure. Anderson and Smith back. Essentially the best 11s of both teams (except for Paine lol). Australia still only need to win one Test, but it's gonna be hard to turn this around.

Not sure whos idea it is to have a test in Manchester in September.....running the risk of an early Autumn setting in...

The 5th test always used to be final weekend of August, which sometimes ran in to first week of Sept.

They have had a run of dry and warm September's, but if they keep on running test series in to September only a matter of time before they get stung, hopefully not this year...

Edited by Erimus
Just now, btron3000 said:

There is also anecdotal evidence that it is causing more players, including kids, to question the umpire. But I’m not sure what other system you have. Leave it in the hands of umps and they’d review every time. 

I said it years ago, we need RoboUmp. Just get rid of the umpires. With DRS the ump’s real job is to keep a lid on behaviour and make sure over rates are reasonable, two things they fail miserably at.

I have no problem with umpires reviewing every time. The current system is 90 overs in a day....6 hours. They add time for rain delays.....why not for DRS. Get it right. That was why it was bought in.....as an aid to getting the right decision.....not so captains have to play a guessing game and make the correct call on a review. May as well go back to no DRS.

player out of form drop him, if he's the captain it's a harder decision, Wade is there already, Smith is there also next match, is it beyond the realms that Paine will be cut?

oh while I'm at it, where is Starc in all of this? 

But glad series is not a dead rubber, roll on Old Trafford, oh and well done Marnus Lauubshagne !

• mack locked this topic