Cricket thread

Guest ZipGunBop

1 hour ago, sonar said:

Stringer.... irrespective of the result in the 3rd Test.......... I've been totally consistant in the view that DRS should not be in the players hands...........  Go read my previous posts on this.It's not a matter of sour grapes. DRS is an aide that was bought in to stop umpiring howlers.....the on field umpire got it wrong. Stokes was out. My view won't change regardless of who the wrong decision is in favour of.

You have been consistent I get that there is a case for a rule change to DRS all wickets (although what non wickets do you review) but under the current rules Paines waste of a review was a far more obvious error than the umpires 

2 hours ago, btron3000 said:

There is also anecdotal evidence that it is causing more players, including kids, to question the umpire. But I’m not sure what other system you have. Leave it in the hands of umps and they’d review every time. 

I said it years ago, we need RoboUmp. Just get rid of the umpires. With DRS the ump’s real job is to keep a lid on behaviour and make sure over rates are reasonable, two things they fail miserably at.

..and hold the bowlers hat, jumper and sunglasses 

If robo ump also included a hat stand and sunglasses compartment it might be a winner 

“Partly in the field, with the defensive eight-on-the-fence approach for Stokes as soon as his last partner came to the crease. The boundary riders put pressure on Stokes to get his sixes right, but removed any pressure on him from around the bat. He was free to line up his big hits as and when he chose. Needing 74 to win, there was plenty of room to keep backing the bowlers with conventional fields to take one more wicket, as they had already taken nine.”

spot on with hindsight 

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2019/aug/25/australia-must-not-be-rattled-steve-smith-back-for-fourth-ashes-test?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

Also I knew it, he has a Kopite face

Edited by StringerBellend
1 hour ago, StringerBellend said:

You have been consistent I get that there is a case for a rule change to DRS all wickets (although what non wickets do you review) but under the current rules Paines waste of a review was a far more obvious error than the umpires 

Don't agree. The DRS was introduced to get rid of howlers by umpire. Nothing has changed. The umpire gave the wrong decision. The batsmen got away with it.. I don't care who the side is or the game situation......out is out.....and not out is not out....... as far as I am concerned. Last night in how I see DRS operating is....... the umpire saying..."ok I believe it's not out....we'll check upstairs"  No player intervention or request review required. The state of the game demanded it. In the case of LBW, if the review had shown umpires call I would of been happy with that....Stokes not out and continue with the game......fair enough....but he was out and should of been judged so.

Edited by sonar
30 minutes ago, StringerBellend said:

“Partly in the field, with the defensive eight-on-the-fence approach for Stokes as soon as his last partner came to the crease. The boundary riders put pressure on Stokes to get his sixes right, but removed any pressure on him from around the bat. He was free to line up his big hits as and when he chose. Needing 74 to win, there was plenty of room to keep backing the bowlers with conventional fields to take one more wicket, as they had already taken nine.”

spot on with hindsight 

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2019/aug/25/australia-must-not-be-rattled-steve-smith-back-for-fourth-ashes-test?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

I'm not so sure it's all hindsight. Plenty of past players have lamented the modern day tactic of only trying to get one player out, and I know I was cursing as soon as I saw all the players on the boundary. If he wanted to be defensive he should have at least had players in position to cut off some of the twos.

However, in the end it was fielding and reviews that cost Australia.

Stokes has played two incredible innings this summer - World Cup and this one - but what is just as amazing is how he seems to also be able to will the other team to make mistakes, a bit like the Stephen Waugh teams. Boult stepping on the boundary, Harris dropping the catch at third man, Guptill's deflected throw, Harris throwing to the wrong end when Stokes was struggling - what posses someone to throw from fine leg to the bowler's end?? - and Lyon spilling that run out. So bizarre. Even Jo-el Wilson was mesmorised. Though, that probably has less to do with Stokes' influence and more to do with the fact that he is ****.

Almost all the best series I have seen Australia has lost. 2005, that one in India where Laxmann batted for seventeen days after the follow-on, West Indies 92-93. Hopefully we can turn this one around and provide an epic win of our own. Just need one of two.

England still had a review left so I'm surprised the umpire didn't just take the easy way out and give him out, knowing that England have to review and he'd end up with the correct decision. I know it's not meant to factor into their decision making but I'm sure it would.

4 hours ago, btron3000 said:

I'm not so sure it's all hindsight. Plenty of past players have lamented the modern day tactic of only trying to get one player out, and I know I was cursing as soon as I saw all the players on the boundary. If he wanted to be defensive he should have at least had players in position to cut off some of the twos.

However, in the end it was fielding and reviews that cost Australia.

The other thing it did is take all the pressure off stokes and allow him to just smash it, without fear of getting an edge or popping a catch a Up. 

On 26/08/2019 at 12:21 PM, WSWJACK said:

player out of form drop him, if he's the captain it's a harder decision, Wade is there already, Smith is there also next match, is it beyond the realms that Paine will be cut?

oh while I'm at it, where is Starc in all of this? 

But glad series is not a dead rubber, roll on Old Trafford, oh and well done Marnus Lauubshagne !

I expect to see Starc back next test.

Edited by Erimus
2 hours ago, Erimus said:

I expect to see Starc back next test.

For who?, unfair to drop Pattinson if they said they are rotating, that means either Cummins or Hazlewood, they should not have come out with that rotating statement after the first test.

1 hour ago, WSWJACK said:

For who?, unfair to drop Pattinson if they said they are rotating, that means either Cummins or Hazlewood, they should not have come out with that rotating statement after the first test.

Hmmm yes..i always think know and play your best side..apart from switching in and out the spinners depending on the ground, country and conditions.

Edited by Erimus
3 hours ago, WSWJACK said:

Nah, drop Lyon...he's a liability now...:xnod:

On 27/08/2019 at 8:19 PM, StringerBellend said:

Aussies lack of a fifth bowler in the side started to show in the last game when England kept them in the field for a bit 

Stokes gives England the fifth bowlers (4th seamer) makes a difference 

Jimmy fit for 4th test, his home ground and got to bring him back. Who is to say it wont be his last test match at Old Trafford....so will want a match winning performance.

Edited by Erimus

9 minutes ago, Erimus said:

Cricket withdrawl symptoms...need 4th test bad..........

You're still here?

On 24/08/2019 at 7:13 AM, Erimus said:

Disapointing...the only time my interest has been raised was the Archer day at Lords, proper Ashes cricket. Now we have a couple of dead rubbers tests and for me the excitement has gone and I will be here less. 

Well done Australia. I can look forward to enjoying an Australia summer cricket series now as I enjoy a day at the SCG whoever is playing. 

Feel a bit deflated....not because of England...but because the contest is over :( And so the banter also.

5 hours ago, Erimus said:

Jimmy fit for 4th test, his home ground and got to bring him back. Who is to say it wont be his last test match at Old Trafford....so will want a match winning performance.

Gonna be interesting. A Smith and Labuschagne partnership or two could suck the momentum from England, but if Stevey doesn't come back at 100%, that will embolden your guys.

I have a feeling that you might get this one and then the G.O.A.T. will bowl Aussies to victory on day 5 at the Oval.

Or maybe that's just hope...

1 minute ago, StringerBellend said:

Stokes will take you all on again 

He's gonna have to:

https://www.espncricinfo.com/story/_/id/27498011/james-anderson-ruled-ashes-england-call-craig-overton 

Gonna have to do it with Archer, Broad and either Woakes, Curran or Overton.

It was an amazing innings. But it was also in the easiest batting conditions in the whole series. Flat pitch, new ball not doing much, Lyon the main threat trying to get him (and did) with the newish ball in the rough. He got a ton in the second Test after being dropped a couple of times and lbw to Lyon. He was lbw to Lyon in the third test. He averages mid 30s in Tests. He's due to run out of luck and come back to the pack. England need others to stand up, he can't be expected to do it for two more Tests. I am more concerned about Root's return to form. He is the one that is more likely to consistently hold the team together if he gets back to his best.

If Smith is back to 100% and not rattled, Australia has the advantage I think. He's the more consistent Test match batsman and they're still the better team. Stokes comes up big in big moments, but the team has to get him close enough.

On 27/08/2019 at 8:19 PM, StringerBellend said:

Aussies lack of a fifth bowler in the side started to show in the last game when England kept them in the field for a bit 

Stokes gives England the fifth bowlers (4th seamer) makes a difference 

Yep. They looked tired at the end of the third Test. On top of having to bowl a lot of overs, having only 4 bowlers means they all have to be on top of their game. Pattinson lost it a bit at the start of the fifth day, and we had nowhere really to go rotation-wise.

On 27/08/2019 at 3:16 PM, WSWJACK said:

They aren't rotating per-se. They are picking the best bowlers for each Test, and that means the ones who suit conditions AND are at the peak of their fitness. Broad and Woakes were nowhere near as dangerous in the last Test, and they have 5 bowlers in the team. It took an immense performance with the ball from Stokes to keep England in the game.

I think Australia will go with Cummins, Hazlewood and Siddle again. Starc to come in for the Oval if the any of them are tired and if the pitch is a turner which they often are at the Oval, as Starc is the best reverse swing merchant in the team.

And Jimmy is out for the series ...sigh... I think he is just about done at test level now. I prefer that this announcement comes now rather than closer to the next test, or that he breaks down again bowling. From whati hear he woke up with tightnessin his calf but could have aimed for the final Oval test. Right call to say his series is over, remove uncertainty and maintain the team spirit and momentum England have built at Lords and Headingley.

I agree that Stokes can't do it all from here. Root as captain needs to step up more and hold an innings together. Collapse again for under 100 runs and wont be fortunate again.

In other news Smith out for just 23 in the country game against Derbyshire!! First ball from Archer 4th test should be like an arrow towards Smith's helmet, then test his forearm out. 

• mack locked this topic