Cricket thread

Guest ZipGunBop

2 hours ago, Erimus said:

Just reading about Pattinson's background on the BBC. Grimsby Town supporter, which is pretty cool...lived in Cleethorpes as a kid which is as rough arse as the Boro. Like him more after reading that.

He looks like he get himself on a banned list at an English pub:meep:

4 minutes ago, btron3000 said:

Can’t remember being as fired up and even a bit edgy before a Test.

What a series. So many fluctuations, so much drama, heaps of intrigue around the selections and tactics.

**** I love Test cricket.

Couldn't agree more. This series has been extraordinarily intriguing. I'm very nervous.

Weather for this test doesn't look good, although looking back at the previous tests, 3 - 3 1/2 days may very well be enough for a result.

I'm glad Smith is back to make sure Paine doesn't make any more captaincy blunders.

1 minute ago, Wanderboy said:

Couldn't agree more. This series has been extraordinarily intriguing. I'm very nervous.

Weather for this test doesn't look good, although looking back at the previous tests, 3 - 3 1/2 days may very well be enough for a result.

I'm glad Smith is back to make sure Paine doesn't make any more captaincy blunders.

I just hope we get at least equal batting conditions. We’ve had the worst of it so far (some self-inflicted when we sent them in under the sun). The only time England have really been batting in gloomy conditions was on the evening of Day 4 of the second Test and we knocked over 4 of them in quick time and should have had Stokes out 3 times.

I still think we’re the better team and should win one of the next two, but they’ve had some great performances (Archer, Stokes, Broad and Woakes on the first day).

2 hours ago, Erimus said:

Well Ashes are over...congrats Australia. Cant see a miracle come back this time.

Its been an entertaining series anyway.

The hero of the day was not Steve Smith but Jack Leach and the hypocrisy of DRS reviews by players . No ball from a wrist spinner....not called by ump.....Smith edges and gets caught......walks off knowing he hit it ......and with no appeal against the decision by the player DRS steps in and rightly says not out.yet the previous test Stokes is out ....given not out but DRS don't review.....gotta love that. 

Edited by sonar
18 minutes ago, sonar said:

The hero of the day was not Steve Smith but Jack Leach and the hypocrisy of DRS reviews by players . No ball from a wrist spinner....not called by ump.....Smith edges and gets caught......walks off knowing he hit it ......and with no appeal against the decision by the player DRS steps in and rightly says not out.yet the previous test Stokes is out ....given not out but DRS don't review.....gotta love that. 

Very true. They need to sort this out. There is no consistency.

Even though it benefited us yesterday, I loathe the late no-ball calls. Mainly because bowlers bowl no-balls all day and not get called, then when they take a wicket the no-ball is checked. Bowlers have a right to be mad because they should be getting pulled up on it early and then it wouldn't affect their wickets. Not saying this happened yesteday but it does happen and is a problem. I get the argument "they overstepped, it's the rules" but they have a right to know when they are overstepping rather than waiting for a wicket.

Bring on Robo-Ump!

But the hero of the day MOST DEFINITELY was Steve Smith. He was already 118 when the no-ball happened. He's that good England will accept a mere hundred lol. His last 8 Ashes innings he's averaging 155. Think about that for a second - if you get him out for 100 he gets 210 in the next innings!! hahaha

Also, look at how they've got him out - 1st Test: going the T20 tonk when running out of partners; caught at wicket when tired and Australia already had a winning lead. Second Test: padding up while clearly impacted by concussion. Fourth Test: reverse sweeping a part-timer when over 200. There's not a legitimate wicket amongst them apart from the padding up (as it was set up by Archer sconning him), the rest have all been when his job was done and he basically gave it away.

10 minutes ago, btron3000 said:

But the hero of the day MOST DEFINITELY was Steve Smith. He was already 118 when the no-ball happened. He's that good England will accept a mere hundred lol. His last 8 Ashes innings he's averaging 155. Think about that for a second - if you get him out for 100 he gets 210 in the next innings!! hahaha

Also, look at how they've got him out - 1st Test: going the T20 tonk when running out of partners; caught at wicket when tired and Australia already had a winning lead. Second Test: padding up while clearly impacted by concussion. Fourth Test: reverse sweeping a part-timer when over 200. There's not a legitimate wicket amongst them apart from the padding up (as it was set up by Archer sconning him), the rest have all been when his job was done and he basically gave it away.

You're right of course. Great Innings. (I thought the ban for him and the others should of been longer.....anyway)........I watched the whole days play which is something I haven't done for a while. Great knock by him and hats off to Tim Paine for sticking around and the lower order for adding to the misery. When Starc gets runs he usually gets wickets.....:ninja:

1 minute ago, sonar said:

You're right of course. Great Innings. (I thought the ban for him and the others should of been longer.....anyway)........I watched the whole days play which is something I haven't done for a while. Great knock by him and hats off to Tim Paine for sticking around and the lower order for adding to the misery. When Starc gets runs he usually gets wickets.....:ninja:

Yeah I thought Starc would bowl well given his innings, but no. I am hoping the decision not to pick Mitchell Marsh won't come back to hurt them, but it looks like it's turning a bit so I guess Lyon - and maybe Labuschagne - can hold up an end so if Starc's radar is off he can sit out for a while.

I am insterested why you thought the ban should be longer, given the previous punishments for ball tampering where basically fines.

38 minutes ago, btron3000 said:

I am insterested why you thought the ban should be longer, given the previous punishments for ball tampering where basically fines.

Personal opinion only. What they ( and others involved in illegalities ) did was show total disrespect to the game and the traditions that preceeded them.

Aust is one of the original Test nations alongside Eng. In reality we should be above having to resort to blatant ball tampering. Eng did it and got away with it....We did it and got caught.  I get that both sides are looking for an edge that will win them the game.....but illegalities...?.....using f*****g sandpaper.....lol. so blatant........The ban should of been two years....no cricket for any club. 

Win at all costs or make money mentality reigns suspreme.  You had a go at the Lords crowd for booing Smith after he came out to bat after being injured.......How can you expect the fans to show any respect for the players when the players have no respect for the game.?

Edited by sonar
58 minutes ago, btron3000 said:

Yeah I thought Starc would bowl well given his innings, but no. I am hoping the decision not to pick Mitchell Marsh won't come back to hurt them, but it looks like it's turning a bit so I guess Lyon - and maybe Labuschagne - can hold up an end so if Starc's radar is off he can sit out for a while.

It's going to be when the ball is older and starts to reverse swing that Starc will come into it....( I hope ).....lol....Lyon bowled one over and went for 10.....lol

Well Hazlewood is gonna get the plaudits - and rightly so - but Cummins was immense. 50 overs in, both batsmen well set, not much happening, and he produced a spell of fast bowling that turned the game. Beat Root a couple of times, got some to kick at the shoulder of the bat, close LB shout turned down, and finally a nick that flew between Warner and Paine.

Then Josh came on, kept the pressure on and reaped the rewards.

Nathan Lyon was rubbish. Pitched short way too often and fields way too defensive. Australia clearly have a plan to dry up boundaries but when you’ve got 500 runs on the board and new batsmen in you’ve got to have a feel for the game and attack. If we are to win on Day 5 he’s gonna have to improve.

Roy is a joke. Came in number 5 so his best chance, and even though he was going at nearly a run a ball when playing normal cricket shots he was still making stupid swipes at decent balls. And they’ve crucified Denly too now just to accomodate Roy. He needs to go and only come back when he has fixed both his technique and temperament.

• mack locked this topic