Cricket thread

Guest ZipGunBop

42 minutes ago, WSWJACK said:

I'd be more worried about Bess (spinner?) taking the 4 middle order batsmen ( inc Kholi & Rahane for 12 runs) on a flat batting pitch, he might be the dark horse.

Bess is far from a finished article...he will be inconsistent for a while...but some good signs.

England complete the win in Chennai! :)

It was a massive toss to win but England didn’t put a foot wrong across the whole 5 days and good value for the big win. 

pffffftttt anyone can beat this India mob :rolleyes:

Edited by Smoggy
On 08/02/2021 at 12:50 PM, StringerBellend said:

Aussie batting ain’t all that, be interesting to see how they go facing England pace bowlers (wood etc)

Not sure I'd be too concerned about Wood, but bowlers only have to be decent anyway to get on top of our order at the moment.

Problem is that Australia has no Tests between now and then, so how do they firm up that batting order?

England are starting to look much stronger, I don't think this will be the same old story this year.

Australian cricket has spent a long time worrying about cash and those outside the Test team just haven't had the chance to practice high quality 5 day matches. And now the Test team won't be practicing either. Hopefully that helps our bowlers fitness, because it won't help the batsmen.

7 minutes ago, btron3000 said:

Not sure I'd be too concerned about Wood, but bowlers only have to be decent anyway to get on top of our order at the moment.

Problem is that Australia has no Tests between now and then, so how do they firm up that batting order?

England are starting to look much stronger, I don't think this will be the same old story this year.

Australian cricket has spent a long time worrying about cash and those outside the Test team just haven't had the chance to practice high quality 5 day matches. And now the Test team won't be practicing either. Hopefully that helps our bowlers fitness, because it won't help the batsmen.

I mention wood as England’s medium fast pace swing bowlers like Anderson tend to struggle over here. I think Archer and Wood bowling at 90mph will be a different proposition 

Watched highlights of England v India, Anderson’s reverse swing was boss, he was unplayable 

Yeah I think pace most likely to do damage, I just think Wood is a bit meh. We'll see. Archer you never know what you're gonna get but at his best...woah.

Will be interesting to see if Root converts over here. I get the feeling our bowlers might not let him do that, but a lot will depend on the pitches.

I think it'll be close but if we get anything at all from our top order, we should win. SHOULD. Relying on the bowlers every game won't cut it. 

No football, wet day..ahhh well. Good news is the second test between India and England starts at 2:50pm our time live on Fox :)

Its great timing in the day for us as runs until about 10ish.

Will be a big toss again as second test is also in Chennai.

Expecting India to come roaring back here.

I agree with Aggers (and Not because England are doing badly). The wicket for this test is an absolute shocker, its a joke...for both sides. Its playing like a late day 5 wicket at best, and that is being polite. It is like bowling on a deck made of digestive biscuits.

If a pitch spins early, it's a lack of preparation. A green pitch will probably improve throughout the game; this will get worse. What is the point in playing a Test match scheduled for five days on a pitch like this?

India have undermined the integrity of Test cricket with a pitch akin to a baked ploughed field.

Edited by Smoggy
  • 2 weeks later...

Here we go again, Stokes claims a catch that obviously hit the ground and he and the rest of the slips clearly knew it.

What a terrible cricket culture they have, always cheating, doing whatever they can to win, acting against the spirit of the game, bringing it into disrepute. I mean, they've said all the right things since last time, but they just revert to type in the heat of the moment. Typical.

5 hours ago, btron3000 said:

Here we go again, Stokes claims a catch that obviously hit the ground and he and the rest of the slips clearly knew it.

What a terrible cricket culture they have, always cheating, doing whatever they can to win, acting against the spirit of the game, bringing it into disrepute. I mean, they've said all the right things since last time, but they just revert to type in the heat of the moment. Typical.

Ha lol nice one. :D See what you did there..go on..I'll take the bait then :rolleyes:

As someone who played cricket to a decent local level if I took a catch very low down you don't know if it has bounced first :unknw: That's a really hard one. I think many times I have gone up for a catch that I have not been 100% sure about..

Now if you want bad culture Kholi refusing to walk after being clean bowled in the last test :D That was poor form, every team is capable of that. It just some teams take it to another level ;)

India ruthlessly exposed England's weaknesses with the bat. The Ashes look like a contest between two very average sides to me, Australia with hone advantage will be enough.

lol its test cricket but not as we know it, England 2/5 :D Will they even get the 33 they need to make India bat again lol

They produce some insane wickets in India eh..all kinds of pre first world war test records tumbling lol

Edited by Smoggy
1 hour ago, btron3000 said:

You let me down England!

Now we have to hope for an absolute belter for the next Test. Hardly likely, so someone has to learn how to play spin in the next few days...

Looks like it's India v New Zealand in the WTC Final.

Yeah. India v NZ was always going to be the WTC final. England had to win the series at least 3-1 i think, never likely.

Both sides failed to play the spin here, it was a very unusual test.

Some stupid records broken in this test..will list a few later.

Edited by Smoggy
1 hour ago, btron3000 said:

Imagine having Johnny Bairstow at #3. He averages 35 in Test cricket! lol

It's pretty much been proven that both he and Buttler should be the keeper or not there at all, yet they keep picking them as batsmen. It's bizarre.

Agree on Bairstow, he looks busted as a batsman to me.

11 hours ago, sonar said:

A pitch shouldn't turn square on day one. What's the bet they will in the next two tests.?

It wasn't turning square day one as such, it was an issue of variable bounce and turn and it was the balls that were skidding on straight that caught just about all batsmen out. They were playing for the spin but some balls seemed to ping off the surface and zip straight in to the pads when it should have turned, it was bizarre to watch lol

A day 1 pitch should not have that variability though.

Edited by Smoggy
  • mack locked this topic