Brendon Santalab

mack

So these 2 (Abbas & Santa) were going at each other across 2 matches. Does anyone else think Abbas has played the race card to try and get Santa in trouble? Abbas is a nut, and I wouldn't put it past him. With seemingly no evidence, video or witnesses, to confirm what was said, its one mans word against another's. The John Terry case, the Suarez case, even the Adam Goodes case all had evidence. The media has hyped this up on the back of all these cases, so they have played into Abbass's hands here. Trial by media indeed. What if Abbass is found to have wrongly accused Santalab? Will he be banned for bringing the game into disrepute? I doubt it.

So these 2 (Abbas & Santa) were going at each other across 2 matches. Does anyone else think Abbas has played the race card to try and get Santa in trouble? Abbas is a nut, and I wouldn't put it past him. With seemingly no evidence, video or witnesses, to confirm what was said, its one mans word against another's. The John Terry case, the Suarez case, even the Adam Goodes case all had evidence. The media has hyped this up on the back of all these cases, so they have played into Abbass's hands here. Trial by media indeed. What if Abbass is found to have wrongly accused Santalab? Will he be banned for bringing the game into disrepute? I doubt it.

I reckon Santalab said it and quite frankly, I don't give a toss (and I've made my reasons known).  It would no doubt it would have been related to something within the game and that's where it should have stayed.  

The world has gone overboard with this PC shlt.  He'll get a few weeks for this just so that we all know how bad it is to hurt someone's feelings when you are on a football field.

Racism is not on, but this is something altogether different.

I think people need to understand that when you add the word 'Muslim' to the statement it is used as a form of separation and degradation against that person. You are saying "you are different to me and everyone else". That is why minorities become sensitive to it. That's why calling someone a 'white ****' isn't the same thing because you are not separating anything when the majority of the population is white.

Catholics had the same problem in Australia when the majority of the population was Anglican. But things have changed and there a lot of Catholics in Australia today and therefore the separation doesn't exist. the separation is basically saying to someone you are inferior in my country.

Nah. Some people's invisible man/woman/thing is more important than others.

Honestly I don't know why you would give a toss about it. This is not racial discrimination, this is the ugly side of football, much like the tackle from behind or studs up in a challenge, albeit far less painful.

Of course he was trying to offend him and get under his skin. I have lost count of the number of times I have been called a Croatian c()nt (or worst still a Serb or Yugo by another Croat). That happened last season when I played against a mainly Croatian team. That is not racism. This is someone who is trying to screw with my head and put me off my game. By that stage, I had already scored two goals against them. If I lost my shlt and got sent off, is that the right thing to do? I would have never dreamed of complaining to a referee or the Association about it.

If I refuse to serve someone, let my kids play with their kids, or not consider them for a job because of their race or religion, then that is another matter altogether. Santalab has no power over Abbas or superiority based on religion. That's primarily why I don't care too much about this latest controversy. To me it's no more than banter and best left on the field. At the end of the game you shake hands and get on with your life. Hard to do when you are playing against lunatics like Abbas. IMHO, his were not the actions of a reasonable person.

Amen to that. I don't know if Abbas is a tool, but he sure behaves like one on the pitch. Santalab is great, always gives 100%, and was too hot to handle for Abbas on the day. Maybe Farina and Sasa should have shoved Abbas' head into a bucket of ice instead of letting him boil over in front of a microphone.

Guest mickisnot

Not commenting on Santa's guilt or innocence here.  But there's one really positive note to emerge from this whole regrettable situation (the allegations of racism).....which is that it is such a big step in the right direction to see the notion of racism treated with the contempt and condemnation it deserves.

One of the benefits of living in the 21st century, in a progressive and inclusive  society imo.

This isn't racism. Islam isn't a racial ideology, nor is any organized religion for that matter. This is the world picking apart the little things.

Here is an example of a lengthy ban where I raged into the oblivion:

(I felt very sorry for Anelka after this ban was laid out)

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/west-brom-nicolas-anelka-quenelle-3234286

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/feb/27/nicola-anelka-suspended-five-matches-fa-quenelle

Depending on Santalab's punishment (if found guilty) I may rage hard again.

Allegedly he called Abbas a F**king Muslim C*

This whole saga over that? Are you ******* kidding me? I thought it was the biggest and worst slur on the world that insulted his country and religion?

Are you kidding me Abbas? After all the **** that Abbas did on the field punching hersi in the back and running directly towards la Rocca to try and get him sent off, he didn't think that he wasn't going to get a spray or a verbal? Did he think it was just going to be okay for the rest of the match?

If this is what constitutes racism then every time a sydfc fan calls a wsw fan a houso, wog, westie scum, dole bludgers and every time a wsw fan calls a sydfc fan a gay soy latte sipping hipster we should all be fined and banned. All this isn't in the heat of battle and is just banter towards the fans. If we start banning all this small stuff and petty stuff you soon won't be able to say boo on the field. Politically correctness gone too far!

Fine, if Santalab called Muslims a blood thirsty culture that are terrorists and deserve to die. Or that Iraq is a hopeless country with so much infighting that they don't deserve to live because they are scum. Something along those lines, fine Santa that was ******* stupid you shouldn't say even think like that, it is racism and doesn't belong in our game. Monkey chants directed at dark skinned players is racist but being called a ducking Muslim **** is not racism, it is a poorly worded statement that should have just been left on the field.

Also, read that Santa said that stuff after Abbas did the same to him last derby. Santa left it on the field and didn't cry victim whereas Abbas made the game all about racism and instead of talking about the game for the next few days we are having to put up with this ****!

I don't get the part where because Abbas is a c#nt that somehow makes it ok to bring his religion into it.

Since when?

If you want to believe in an all powerful invisible being in the absence of any scientific proof, then why can't someone ridicule you?  Or is it limited to certain faiths that can't be ridiculed.  

Aren't you some big time ultra who chants about f()ckin people's mums?  Why do you or your mates in the RBB do that?  

FWIW, neither situation bother's me in the context of a football game.  

If it's perfectly acceptable to call someone a **** on the pitch then why does it matter if he called him an Arab as well? He is an Arab, whats derogatory about the term Arab?

If Santa was to come out and call all Arabs terrorists and they deserve to be vaporised from the Earth that would be racism. Calling a **** a **** isn't racism.

Don't get me wrong Santalab is a bloody idiot for what he said and will cop a large ban. However, on almost a weekly basis vitriol that i would consider to be much more offensive than this is heard all over sporting fields in Australia. Its purely because this is what society deems to be currently offended by that the bar for racist persecution is set so low that calling someone a **** is what passes for as the most vilifying form of racism.

A couple of points here; if this is proven and Santalab get's an extended ban, I wonder how many opposition players will come out with tales of previous sledges from Abbas which were similarly obnoxious. With tonight's game, Luke Bratton is a bit of a chirpy c**t; I wonder if he'll be giving it to Abbas or will he be warned off this week?

"It’s for this reason that Abbas looms as a hero. Just like Swans champion Adam Goodes last year"

i'm sorry, but comparing someone like ali abbas to someone like adam goodes is a joke. I don't believe that what made goodes a hero was that he copped racial abuse from a little girl on the sideline either, but if goodes tried to fight the racist little **** on the sideline - then the comparisons would have been more fair.

adam goodes will be remembered as an australian sporting great, the face of the game in NSW and a hero of the aborigional sporting community.

abbas will not be remembered.

Guest mickisnot

I don't get the part where because Abbas is a c#nt that somehow makes it ok to bring his religion into it.

Since when?

If you want to believe in an all powerful invisible being in the absence of any scientific proof, then why can't someone ridicule you?  Or is it limited to certain faiths that can't be ridiculed.  

Aren't you some big time ultra who chants about f()ckin people's mums?  Why do you or your mates in the RBB do that?  

So much this.

For some strange reason religion is impervious to critique and ridicule. You can somehow take moral high ground leverage by saying "it's what I believe" than to actually think about something logically and broaden your horizons.

To complicate matters further it is limited to certain faiths because if your religion is unfairly stereotyped, you can then play the race card.

I would like to say that Muslims are unfairly stereotyped. Especially those that have sought asylum within Western countries.

But ffs, this doesn't give you a divine right to get violent and cry racism. This entire issue should be washed out with a simple handshake.

Since when?

So much this.

For some strange reason religion is impervious to critique and ridicule. You can somehow take moral high ground leverage by saying "it's what I believe" than to actually think about something logically and broaden your horizons.

To complicate matters further it is limited to certain faiths because if your religion is unfairly stereotyped, you can then play the race card.

I would like to say that Muslims are unfairly stereotyped. Especially those that have sought asylum within Western countries.

But ffs, this doesn't give you a divine right to get violent and cry racism. This entire issue should be washed out with a simple handshake.

It's even funnier when Muslims get offended and reactive violently when people stereotype them as "easily offended and violent". Just adds another level of irony to the whole situation.

Probably best not to get too deep into discussing religions. You know where this stuff always ends up. Just forget about this whole **** and I'm sure Santa will take his punishment and life will go on. 

On the assumption that Santalab said what is alleged then this:

- Santalab should be banned for 5-games at least. However, I personally don't get all of the sensitivity with the racial/religious name calling, it always seem as if the door only swings one way (complaints have been made to Football NSW, which I have witnessed, on many occasions about racial abuse with the 'white guy' being singled out and abused, yet, the clubs have been pressured by FNSW to drop the case as it's a non-issue and it's all part of the game, if it happens the other way and its all of sudden the worst thing on Earth)

- Abbas should be sighted for his reaction, he should have simply added an official complaint after the match in the correct manner, instead he acts like a petulant child who has lots his toys

I in no way accept racial/religious fueled behavior, however, this world has become far to PC and you can't even describe someone as being 'black' anymore without being labelled as a racist. White people aren't technically white either, they're pink, but still, seems as is calling them anything is acceptable as they're 'white', its a double standard.

I wonder what would have happened had Abbas called Santalab something?

Since when is it ok to attack someone else's religious beliefs and offend/mock them for it?

Im not defending ali abbas here, hes **** and hes up there with berisha and Archie as the ****s of a-league. He shouldnt go on tv and make us feel sorry for him.

But you dont simply attack or abuse people's religious beliefs anywhere especially on sporting fields. If santa really said that, he should have known better, hes a professional footballer.

No professional footballer should be abusing another players race, colour and religious beliefs.