Brendon Santalab

mack

I shudder to think what the reaction from all of you would be, had the situation been reversed. I'm guessing that all of you will be frothing at your mouths in unison, calling this incident 'yet another proof that SFC is only for affluent eastern suburbs types', and that 'WSW is the club that embraces multiculturalism while SFC continues to isolate anyone other than Anglo-Aussies east of Newtown'. 

How inconvenient that it is a WSW player who seems to think it's okay to racially vilify someone in the manner he did, and come out with "what happens on the field stays on the field" garbage when questioned about it. 

I understand that a certain level of bias from either side is expected in this debate. However, given that most of you now seem to accept that Santalab indeed called Abbas a "f***king Arab, Muslim c***", it is laughable that many of you still stand by Santalab. Condoning or trivialising such behaviour goes against everything WSW stands for. I eagerly await your 'harmony day'. Should be the height of irony, unless WSW has taken drastic action by then.

It would be far better for WSW in the long term to terminate Santalab's contract. Even though he is a capable player, WSW will gain much more by safeguarding their values, which has successfully drawn large numbers of fans who identify with the club's identity and values. I hope WSW does the right thing, although a part of me wants to see WSW sweep this under the rug and severely compromise their integrity, and live with the unwanted association.

How does mocking religious ideologies even stand on the same pedestal as racism?

this

in general religion should be openly mocked, i wouldnt do that but i see no problem with others doing so, race should never be touched

Oh ok sure, next time we go through church st and we see a scarfed muslim lady, lets call her a muslim bitch and mock her for wearing a scarf because of her religious belief.

Does that make it ok?

I shudder to think what the reaction from all of you would be, had the situation been reversed. I'm guessing that all of you will be frothing at your mouths in unison, calling this incident 'yet another proof that SFC is only for affluent eastern suburbs types', and that 'WSW is the club that embraces multiculturalism while SFC continues to isolate anyone other than Anglo-Aussies east of Newtown'. 

How inconvenient that it is a WSW player who seems to think it's okay to racially vilify someone in the manner he did, and come out with "what happens on the field stays on the field" garbage when questioned about it. 

I understand that a certain level of bias from either side is expected in this debate. However, given that most of you now seem to accept that Santalab indeed called Abbas a "f***king Arab, Muslim c***", it is laughable that many of you still stand by Santalab. Condoning or trivialising such behaviour goes against everything WSW stands for. I eagerly await your 'harmony day'. Should be the height of irony, unless WSW has taken drastic action by then.

It would be far better for WSW in the long term to terminate Santalab's contract. Even though he is a capable player, WSW will gain much more by safeguarding their values, which has successfully drawn large numbers of fans who identify with the club's identity and values. I hope WSW does the right thing, although a part of me wants to see WSW sweep this under the rug and severely compromise their integrity, and live with the unwanted association.

tldr.gif

You are a ******* sped. Excuse me for insisting on due process before I string him up. How racist of me. 

How does mocking religious ideologies even stand on the same pedestal as racism?

this

in general religion should be openly mocked, i wouldnt do that but i see no problem with others doing so, race should never be touched

Oh ok sure, next time we go through church st and we see a scarfed muslim lady, lets call her a muslim bitch and mock her for wearing a scarf because of her religious belief.

Does that make it ok?

No, because you get charged for public nuisance and whatever other law you're breaking. You're not being punished necessarily for mocking her religion. 

Edited by rodz7

this

Does that make it ok?

If I gave the impression that I sanctioned harassment, I apologise, it certainly wasn't my intention. As it is, religion is an idea, and all ideas should be subject to critique. No excuses, no exemptions, no ifs or buts. I make no apologies for it.

There is a distinction between say, criticising a particular religion, and harassing its adherents. Can you not see this simple point?

this

Does that make it ok?

I agree with you. Lol at everyone saying that religion is ok and race isn't. Who came up with those rules? A need to constantly mock or ridicule someone is perhaps more a reflection of the society we live in. Sure, it is only words and people should have thicker skin. But at what point do we realise that we might have taken things too far. To the point where we become a bunch of uncultured and uncivilised animals. It is like we are writing rules trying to figure out what is acceptable and unacceptable. Everything has context and there will never be a golden rule for this.

You are a ******* sped. Excuse me for insisting on due process before I string him up. How racist of me. 

I didn't single you out. My post was in response to people arguing that even if that is exactly what Santalab said, there's nothing wrong with it and Abbas needs to 'toughen up'. Browsing this thread there were plenty who agreed to that. Let's see you call a middle-eastern person an 'f***king Arab' or 'Muslim c***' in public, if you think that's a-okay.

NONE of you would feel this way if it was the other way around, GUARANTEED. This thread would have 30 pages of WSW fans full of rage condemning the act.

Crap. As usual. Do you post this kind of **** also in the Smurfs of the East forum, or do you just come here to verbally throw up?

so this is now anti religion thread

k den

No. It's pro Santa.

Crap. As usual. Do you post this kind of **** also in the Smurfs of the East forum, or do you just come here to verbally throw up?

so this is now anti religion thread

k den

No. It's pro Santa.

oh really ?

what about "How does mocking religious ideologies even stand on the same pedestal as racism?"

or "in general religion should be openly mocked, i wouldnt do that but i see no problem with others doing so, race should never be touched"

this

Does that make it ok?

I agree with you. Lol at everyone saying that religion is ok and race isn't. Who came up with those rules? A need to constantly mock or ridicule someone is perhaps more a reflection of the society we live in. Sure, it is only words and people should have thicker skin. But at what point do we realise that we might have taken things too far. To the point where we become a bunch of uncultured and uncivilised animals. It is like we are writing rules trying to figure out what is acceptable and unacceptable. Everything has context and there will never be a golden rule for this.

Religion, like any other ideology, is an idea, and can be discarded if the adherent so wishes. You are born into your particular 'race' (the term means nothing), and as such, cannot change it. 

Fairly basic distinction.

Surprise surprise: Just because you go for the same football club does not mean you have the same ideologies or worldviews. 

We're all going to have different opinions on this. And none of them will be useful. Its up to the tribunal now. This argument will fix nothing and will only implicate ourselves. Time to have a bit of shut up and let due process take place. Reserve judgment until after the truth/justice is shown. 

this

Does that make it ok?

Religion, like any other ideology, is an idea, and can be discarded if the adherent so wishes. You are born into your particular 'race' (the term means nothing), and as such, cannot change it. 

Yes, but religion becomes part of the fabric of a person once they commit to it. It is personal and sacred like someone's family. Even if you see it as something that can be discarded, other people don't. Maybe it is all fundamentalist like but that is not the point here. We are discussing something that people base their whole lives and values around. So it is going to have significant meaning (perhaps even more important than the colour of their skin).

Remember also that most people are born into a religion, so it is not just a particular race that people are only born into.

Which part do you disagree with? Do you condone calling a player of middle-eastern background a 'f***ing Arab', or 'Muslim c***'? You're worse than I thought. 

Or do you disagree that WSW has a lot to gain by taking drastic action against their own player who scoffed at their core values? Like I said, I do hope the club's view is in line with that of the posters here, so we get to call WSW a racist club and snigger at their attempts to brand the WSW franchise as a 'community club'. I can't wait. 

this

Does that make it ok?

Yes, but religion becomes part of the fabric of a person once they commit to it. It is personal and sacred like someone's family. Even if you see it as something that can be discarded, other people don't. Maybe it is all fundamentalist like but that is not the point here. We are discussing something that people base their whole lives and values around. So it is going to have significant meaning (perhaps even more important than the colour of their skin).

Remember also that most people are born into a religion, so it is not just a particular race that people are only born into.

Nonsense. I don't recall babies having consciously made the choice to believe. No people are born into religion. Religion is fostered upon them, often without their consent. It is simply a disgrace to refer to a child as a 'Muslim', or 'Christian', or 'Buddhist'. 

I make no distinctions as to the depth or nature of a particular persons belief. In the basic analysis, it is a belief like any other. If I were to follow your argument to its logical conclusion we must refrain from criticising Communism because some Communists define their entire existence in accordance with their beliefs.

this going to go pear shaped very quickly i suggest we all leave religion, race and politics out of our united support for wsw.

thousands of years of recorded human history has proven these topics divisive time and again  

not one of us little bogans is going to come up with the meaning of life so lets just drop it.

Which part do you disagree with? Do you condone calling a player of middle-eastern background a 'f***ing Arab', or 'Muslim c***'? You're worse than I thought. 

Or do you disagree that WSW has a lot to gain by taking drastic action against their own player who scoffed at their core values? Like I said, I do hope the club's view is in line with that of the posters here, so we get to call WSW a racist club and snigger at their attempts to brand the WSW franchise as a 'community club'. I can't wait. 

You seem to suggest that the club should have taken action against him already. 

this going to go pear shaped very quickly i suggest we all leave religion, race and politics out of our united support for wsw.

thousands of years of recorded human history has proven these topics divisive time and again  

not one of us little bogans is going to come up with the meaning of life so lets just drop it.

This is nothing on the discussion about who should take our corners. Now that's getting bloody heated.

Guest mickisnot

You know why your comment was total crap PARRASFC?

Because it's black and white.

Just because you don't openly oppose a behaviour doesn't mean you condone it either.

Seriously it's this style of thinking that has left the hand shake completely off the cards.

All I want is for Santalab just to shake his hand and say "Was just trying to get underneath your skin" and then Abbas to go "Sorry I overreacted" It would be the best possible scenario for everyone.

But because this entire universe just pushes and pulls with each other and tries to find transparency when there isn't any the entire issue is instantly magnified into the oblivion and polar opposites starts to appear. When in actuality a few slurs have been exchanged between both players and both players seriously hate each other.

I tried to make this point before by drawing parallels between Nikolas Anelka's case. He is a Muslim that got unfairly treated by another the Jewish community, When you start to magnify in on all these little things you start to lose sight on the big picture.

Exactly. 

WSW has a point to prove, that the 'community club' ethos and embracing 'multiculturalism' wasn't just a clever boardroom marketing stunt. This is an opportunity for WSW to show that they may be 2 years old, but their values are rock solid. That they are a club and not a franchise.

Any attempt from WSW to shield Santalab from criticism, and they will prove that the core values of WSW are a joke. 'These colours unite us all' - LOL

Exactly. 

WSW has a point to prove, that the 'community club' ethos and embracing 'multiculturalism' wasn't just a clever boardroom marketing stunt. This is an opportunity for WSW to show that they may be 2 years old, but their values are rock solid. That they are a club and not a franchise.

Any attempt from WSW to shield Santalab from criticism, and they will prove that the core values of WSW are a joke. 'These colours unite us all' - LOL

Excellent. You have pronounced him guilty without even the pretense of a trial. And you wonder why no one takes you seriously.

Ahhhh.....I suppose these forums are a reflection ( a microcosm if you like) of the nature of humanity...far too much division, conflict, disharmony

Sadly  this has brought a lot of negative publicity to the club, which does undermine all  that WSW should be standing for. I don't agree with Abbas' carry on after the game, but I don't think what happens on the pitch should necessarily stay on the pitch  either.

At my school, I organise Harmony Day- which is next Friday, and which IS treated as a very special event. We actually have a Wanderers football clinic happening on the day. Only one staff member commented to me on the irony of having the Wanderers coming to our school on Harmony Day, but the fact that anyone viewed it that as ironic is sad.

On the matter of whether or not mockery of religion is OK, I agree with Montalbano. I am NOT religious at all, but I agree with his observations below

this

Does that make it ok?

Yes, but religion becomes part of the fabric of a person once they commit to it. It is personal and sacred like someone's family. Even if you see it as something that can be discarded, other people don't.... We are discussing something that people base their whole lives and values around. So it is going to have significant meaning (perhaps even more important than the colour of their skin).

In the context of public satire... I have NO PROBLEM  with what Zola, Micki  or Goat have said...in a democracy where free speech is treasured and critical thinking is encouraged (well... sort of) religion, politics, human nature is all fair game. But in a personal context, I don't think mocking, denigrating or abusing other people on the basis of their  beliefs and values is the way to go, and in the heat of the moment, this is ALLEGEDLY what has happened.  

I know my somewhat anachronistic values are not really in step with much of what is encouraged in the modern world. But I honestly don't understand why aggression, hostility, mockery and  contempt for the opposition has to feature so strongly in the way SOME people view football.... and life in general.  Sure it's all about RIVALRY, and sure, sportspeople and their supporters are brimming with passion of their respective sorting codes/teams etc. But hatred and contempt don't belong in sport (or in life)

To me, we should try to "Live and let live", and hold off on revelling in criticism and the tendency to belittle others...for whatever reason.

I'll hop off my high-horse now...  Enjoy the game tonight!!     ;)    COYW...with no controversies this time round ...please!!!!!!!!    :)

PS I do NOT believe Santa should have contracts terminated etc etc - that is totally over the top. We still have a long way to go in terms of eliminating racism and bigotry of all sorts within society - education is the key. 

I don't think mocking, denigrating or abusing other peoples on the basis of their beliefs and values is the way to go, and in the heat of the moment, this is ALLEGEDLY what has happened.

Having seen interviews with this mental giant, I'm pretty sure Santa lacks the cerebral muscle to craft a well structured denigration or mock. I think he's called the easiest target on the opposition team a name and picked the most likely term to inflame him. As you said, "heat of the moment". Therefore there could be no forethought, no depth to the slight. It was merely a handy adjective. Calling Ognenovski a "geriatric so-and-so" wouldn't make Santa ageist, what he ALLEGEDLY said to Abbas equally doesn't make him a racist.

I agree with most of your points above, Wendy.

My major problem is that the FFA have taken no action against Abbas's violence.  So what is the message our young people are getting??  Don't call people a name - especially a name that could be considered racist - because you will get into trouble.  Instead, just run around punching people and then stating that if anyone does not respect you, you will attack - then nothing bad will happen to you.

I think name-calling is childish, and it can be hurtful.  However, I place physical violence as a greater "sin" in my personal value system.  And I think it would be so in most civilsed people's values.  So if Santalab is found to be guilty and he is punished in some way, Abbas should also be punished for his violent outburst against players from both teams. 

But the FFA have not come out against the violence at all, and this worries me greatly.  They are so overcome and blinded (and possibly afraid) about possible racism, that they have overlooked the greater offence in my opinion.  It is possible that both players deserve some sanctions.

We should certainly say 'NO" to racism.  But shouldn't we also say "NO" to violence??????

Exactly.

I bumped in to Del Piero at the shops yesterday and he racially abused me. It's only my word against his and there's been no investigation but I look forward to seeing his contract torn up immediately.

I told my wife about what Santa was supposed to have said. Her response was that of a Greek woman who grew up in Merrylands: "Is that all??" Why the big hoo huh then? No idea. What I do know is that no player has the capacity to insult me in any way by saying anything to anyone else on any football field anywhere in the world. Beats me how some get the dealings of two football players between each other muddled up with ethnicity and religion.

Abbas is the most aggressive player wearing the Smurf jersey. Last Saturday he was all shins, elbows, and studs. As I mentioned last week, I was sitting in the first row, right next to the pitch, and got a good view how he dug into Hersi and Polenz. Constantly. Overtly and covertly. I don't care what nationality he is, and what religious beliefs he embraces. What I saw was a filthy and dirty player that evening, and I am not surprised that he got stick because of it. I actually think he should have been shown a second yellow because of his antics after the final whistle.

As a lapsed Catholic I am aware of the wisdom and goodness the great religions have to offer. I have great respect for those who strive to extract this goodness and wisdom out of the ancient religious texts, for the well being of themselves and those around them. As I am aware that all great religions talk about forgiveness, I would like to think that the sports comrade Abbas, considering the religious man he is, has reflected on his behavior last Saturday, acknowledged that he hurt people willfully, and forgiven those who have offended him. If he hasn't then he may want to reflect a big more. He is in urgent need of it.

I bumped in to Del Piero at the shops yesterday and he racially abused me. It's only my word against his and there's been no investigation but I look forward to seeing his contract torn up immediately.

Impossible! What could he possibly have said or done while lying on his back or stomach, struggling to getting back on his feet?