Brendon Santalab

mack

Santa's missing Christmas. :( :(

http://m.foxsports.com.au/football/a-league/wanderers-brendon-santalab-set-to-be-sidelined-until-late-january-after-playing-through-a-shoulder-injury-in-the-asian-champions-league-final/story-e6frf4gl-1227112657588

HAVING played through “excruciating†pain to help his side win the Asian Champions League, Wanderers striker Brendon Santalab will pay a heavy price as he prepares for a shoulder operation set to rule him out until the end of January.

The 32-year-old, who dislocated his shoulder in the first leg against Al Hilal but played on for another 15 minutes, will undergo surgery on Friday to repair the damage exacerbated by him playing almost an hour of the second leg in Riyadh.

It means he will miss the Club World Cup in December, and so the chance to qualify for a date with Real Madrid, with the medical advice to the club so far suggesting that Santalab will be in rehab for at least two months and possibly longer.

With the A-League going into abeyance for the duration of the Asian Cup in January, the striker is not likely to be sighted again until Western Sydney face Melbourne City away on February 1.

The need for surgery had loomed since the dislocation on October 25, as Santalab went through exactly the same process with the same shoulder playing for Sydney FC in 2008.

Speedy recovery!!

That's not the kind of news I wanted to wake up to. He must be gutted to miss Morocco, but he'll be back in time for Feb when we'll be playing two games per week more often than not. Morocco and the Asia Cup means that he won't be out for too many league games. It gives Sotirio a chance to shine.

how many games between now and when he would be back?

is it worth getting an injury replacement signing or just promote one of the young guys and put ruka on the bench?

10 games until the Asia Cup break.

Ruka can play up front. He sees himself as a CF even though the public seems to think he is a LW. We'll be fine.

Disappointed for Santa but not overly worried. Very proud of him for pushing through the pain for us to pull through in the ACL. His work rate up front always impresses me and he wears his heart on his sleeve.

We've got Tomi and Ruka so we will be fine provided those two stay fit and healthy.

• 1 month later...

Any news on when he will be returning?

Also, because Kalmar is his injury replacement, does this mean they cannot play together/when Santa returns?

I miss his pesty ways.

The squad is effectively reset in the transfer window, so if we drop two players they can be signed to full deals.

I'm not sure if an A-League club has ever actually dropped a player without releasing them though, and there might be salary cap implications.

The Illawarra is Red and Black
http://www.illawarramercury.com.au/story/2785614/readers-switch-gifts-on-santa/

It was during his off-season, having returned home from China, when Brendon Santalab was in the crowd watching the Western Sydney Wanderers play in their first season.

Captivated by the stunning groundswell of support for the new Australian club, Santalab couldn't help but be drawn to say to his mates "I'd love to play for these guys one day".

Some 15 months later and Santalab, playing through the pain of the shoulder injury which has kept him sidelined since, raised the Asian Champions League in triumph.

Capping off a stellar year, the Unanderra Hearts junior emerged at the top of the polling for the Illawarra Mercury's Sportsperson of the Year People's Choice award.

With almost 1000 votes lodged on the Mercury website, Santalab emerged on top of the voting, narrowly ahead of Albion Park hockey stars Kieran Govers and Casey Eastham.

"I'm a proud Wollongong boy and always will be, you never forget where you grow up," Santalab told the Mercury.

"It really does mean a lot to win something like this, I've got a lot to be thankful for, firstly through the Unanderra Hearts, my first ever football club.

"You take small steps along the way towards being a professional player, it's a little bit surreal to be part of the squad winning an Asian Champions League.

"I remember coming home in the off-season from China and being in the crowd, telling my mates 'I'd love to play for these guys one day'.

"And it came about, it's been great to be part of their success."

Santalab came on board as a Mercury columnist during the A-League season with Strike Force, but the online voting was tallied independently, with the Wanderers attacker narrowly winning the award.

The 32-year-old said it was worth playing through the pain of the shoulder injury to win the ACL championship.

"It was the biggest game of my career," he said. "We've had a tough month or so since, but the break during the Asian Cup will be good for the team and hopefully we will push towards the finals."

It's been a remarkable year for sport in the Illawarra, with Emma McKeon winning six medals, four of them gold, at the Commonwealth Games.

Eastham and Govers both claimed gold in Glasgow, with the Kookaburras taking gold at the World Cup and the Hockeyroos snaring silver at the same tournament and again at the recent Champions Trophy.

Caitlin Foord returned from a season playing in the US to be part of the Perth Glory's W-League championship-winning team.

Brett and Josh Morris played key roles in breaking the NSW State of Origin series drought, while boxer Mark Lucas completed lifelong dreams of stepping into the ring at the Commonwealth Games, before turning professional.

Josh Minogue claimed the demanding Coolangatta Gold event, while Sally Fitzgibbons and Tyler Wright had the chance to win the world surfing title in the season-ending event in Hawaii.

Completing the Mercury shortlist, US import Rotnei Clarke won the NBL MVP last season.

"It's just such a good breeding ground," Santalab said.

"To be honest, I was just really happy to be nominated among the group, there's so many good athletes there across a lot of sports. It's the icing on the cake for me, so I'm very proud just be mentioned and thankful for everyone who voted for me.

"Hopefully 2015 can be another great year for me and everyone else on the list, I wish them all the best."

• 1 month later...

In regards to santas shoulder injury on Saturday night.

I know that pain and feeling you get when you first injure your shoulder and its a very stinging pain which lasts about 5min to an hour. I've had these shoulder injuries when I use to play rugby league.

Santa won't be able to raise his arm past horizontal for a couple of days.

All needs is to take panedeine forte for the couple of days and also rub some voltaren on his injured shoulder and he should be sweet for the derby.

Anyone got any news on Santa?

In regards to santas shoulder injury on Saturday night.

I know that pain and feeling you get when you first injure your shoulder and its a very stinging pain which lasts about 5min to an hour. I've had these shoulder injuries when I use to play rugby league.

Santa won't be able to raise his arm past horizontal for a couple of days.

All needs is to take panedeine forte for the couple of days and also rub some voltaren on his injured shoulder and he should be sweet for the derby.

Not if he popped his shoulder again.