Brendon Santalab

mack

Putting it out there, for all the talk about the importance of Tomi, of Saba when he was with us, of Romeo, of Ruka, of Covic and anyone else who is the hero/scapegoat of the week...Santa is the reason we have had a rough trot this season.

And no, I'm not bagging the guy...very much the reverse. Before he was injured against the smurf bastards in Derby I 2014/15 he was up to his usual tricks, i.e. looking to steal goals, pestering the oppo goalie and backs, running around like Dino on speed. As soon as he went out with his buggered shoulder we lost a lot up front both in terms of attack but also defence. Okay, we may never have had an overdose of shootfarken, but Santa never left you wondering plus if starting he ran himself into the ground trying to keep the opposition penned at their own back.

We all know how valuable Tomi was for us as a second season acquisition, but do we really give Santa the love and respect he deserves?

In regards to santas shoulder injury on Saturday night.

I know that pain and feeling you get when you first injure your shoulder and its a very stinging pain which lasts about 5min to an hour. I've had these shoulder injuries when I use to play rugby league.

Santa won't be able to raise his arm past horizontal for a couple of days.

All needs is to take panedeine forte for the couple of days and also rub some voltaren on his injured shoulder and he should be sweet for the derby.

Looks like 5-7 months of Panadeine forte and voltaren.

Only on Friday there was a report about him on the A-League homepage:

"Santalab also conceded his comeback from a shoulder injury sustained in last season’s ACL final may’ve been rushed a little.

"Under the circumstances we needed everyone on board as quick as possible. Normally it’s about a four or five month injury but I was back after three [months].â€

Hmmmm

Ray Gatt reporting out for season.Also interesting to see about talking about 'rushing him back' when that was something the club adamantly refused to do in the first two seasons.

From experience, shoulder injuries (post op) take 3 months to heal and another month to recover. Thats just for your dislocated shoulder.

If its true that he needed another month to recover but the club rushdd him back then I think the club should be held accountable.

Putting it out there, for all the talk about the importance of Tomi, of Saba when he was with us, of Romeo, of Ruka, of Covic and anyone else who is the hero/scapegoat of the week...Santa is the reason we have had a rough trot this season.

And no, I'm not bagging the guy...very much the reverse. Before he was injured against the smurf bastards in Derby I 2014/15 he was up to his usual tricks, i.e. looking to steal goals, pestering the oppo goalie and backs, running around like Dino on speed. As soon as he went out with his buggered shoulder we lost a lot up front both in terms of attack but also defence. Okay, we may never have had an overdose of shootfarken, but Santa never left you wondering plus if starting he ran himself into the ground trying to keep the opposition penned at their own back.

We all know how valuable Tomi was for us as a second season acquisition, but do we really give Santa the love and respect he deserves?

I was singing the praise of Santa and his nuisance value earlier in the season. He is a handful, he puts himself around and annoys defenders and makes room for others even if he is not scoring himself.

He is one of those forwards that is valuable to have in the team even if he isn't scoring for his work rate and what he can do for others around him.

If fit I would start him every time. 

Edited by WSWBoro

There's a reason that, when I got two jerseys customised at the start of this season, one of them was for an untried Wanderer (who I already knew from previous experience would be a major contributor) and the other was for this legend:

Bzihtd5CEAAGE6_.jpg

We've missed him and we'll miss him. 

A query for long term....

Santa comes back and Bulut, Juric and Labi are still on the books. Who do you say bye-bye to?

Labi. But juric won't stay.

and if this is to happen (Juric) , promote youth FFS, no more sojourner hacks

• 3 weeks later...

I miss his energy and constant chasing up front, we need that little bit of mugrel inside santalab to be shown by the boys now, i think the pressure he puts on defenders is awesome

Totally agree. We really missed him this season. The other benefit is that he is our only goal poacher. Home many times did we have the ball in the opposition 6yard box waiting for a tap in .

I miss his energy and constant chasing up front, we need that little bit of mugrel inside santalab to be shown by the boys now, i think the pressure he puts on defenders is awesome

Totally agree. We really missed him this season. The other benefit is that he is our only goal poacher. Home many times did we have the ball in the opposition 6yard box waiting for a tap in .

Saturday night...

• 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Brendon Santalab looks to the future with Wanderers
  • THE AUSTRALIAN
  • SEPTEMBER 25, 2015 12:00AM
  •  
    Sports reporter
    Sydney

For most footballers approaching their mid-30, there is usually only one decision that comes after suffering successive serious shoulder injuries and spending almost seven months on the sidelines.

But most of them are not like Brendon Santalab.

For if anyone thought they might have seen the last of the 33-year-old Western Sydney Wanderers attacker then they are sadly mistaken. Looking and feeling fitter than he has for a long time, Santalab is ready to cast aside the pain, uncertainty and disappointment of the past 12 months and show there is still a lot of life left in his legs for this season’s A-League.

“It has been a long road to recovery but I feel great now,†Santalab said as he mingled with fans during an open day in the heart of Parramatta yesterday. “I am looking forward to the (FFA Cup) game against Perth next week and to the first game of the A-League season. It is exciting and there is plenty to feel confident about.â€

However, that confidence wasn’t always there for Santalab, who admits he had to cope with some mental battles following his spate of injuries.

Santalab missed three months in the early part of last season after dislocating his shoulder, then fractured it just several games into his comeback.

Such is his commitment to the Wanderers that he tried to play through the pain barrier, staying on the field both times before having to be forced off by the team’s medical staff. It’s that sort of never say die and give all attitude that has endeared him to the Wanderers faithful.

While there were some tough times in his recovery process as he sat out the rest of the season, Santalab, who is in the final year of his contract, never gave retirement a thought.

“It never popped into my mind at all,†he said with the look of a man who wondered why such a questioned had been posed.

“I admit the mental issues were harder to overcome than the physical aspect but I soon got over that.

“My body feels great. I think I still have a lot to offer. I want to keep pushing and getting stronger.

“With the training we do at the Wanderers that will prolong my career for sure.

“I definitely want to continue (at the Wanderers). I’d love to stay but it is out of my hands.

“I have to do the work on the training pitch and in the games and see what happens.â€

As much as he is now fit, healthy and raring to go, Santalab knows he is not going to have an easy passage to a starting spot in a Wanderers squad that has undergone massive changes in the off-season.

The signing this week of Socceroos attacker Dario Vidosic has made it just that much harder for him but he is not complaining. Rather he welcomes the challenge.

“That’s football,†he said. “And that’s what you need to have a good team — competition for every spot.

“Dario and Pio (marquee signing Federico Piovaccari) are quality players and it is going to be a battle.

“But I believe my versatility — I can play wide right or left or up front — will be a help to me.

“Whatever the case, it is good business for the club.

“After our poor season last season we have to do much better. The fans expect it.â€

•  

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/sport/football/brendon-santalab-looks-to-the-future-with-wanderers/story-fn63e0vj-1227542720689

Edited by Flytox