Brendon Santalab

mack

• 11 months later...

What a team player....,this from www.a-league.com.au

Brendon Santalab says his calming sideline intervention in a recent Western Sydney Wanderers FC match was inspired by one particular personal experience. 

The Wanderers legend famously walked from the bench and calmed down coach Josep Gombau, who was set to sub off marquee striker Oriol Riera in the opening 15 minutes against the Mariners in Gosford on February 4. 

Santalab explains to www.a-league.com.au the personal experience that inspired him to take the action he did, one which calmed the situation down and ended up being a positive for his side. 

"That's just experience. That's where my conversation with Josep came from. Years of experience. 

"And one moment in particular really helped me in that situation was that Popa [Tony Popovic, then Wanderers coach] wanted to take me off after 10 minutes in one game in China. 

"Ante Milicic [then an assistant coach at Wanderers] stopped him from making the substitution, which I'm very grateful for. 

"I'll never forget that. And that really popped into my mind at that moment when there's a heat of the moment situation. 

"I thought, 'hang on a minute, this needs to have some water put on the fire'. 

"I thought this was a situation I need to get involved in. 

"For me, it was about what was the better thing for the team at that point.

"It wasn't me coming, it was Oriol staying on and fixing whatever the drama was after the game. 

"I felt the situation that we're in at the moment, drama was the last thing we needed. 

"Maybe the tone of my voice, my calmness that really helped Josep.

"We needed positivity, we needed our marquee on the pitch because that's why he's here at Western Sydney. 

"He's a marquee for a reason, he's played in La Liga and it's been great to partner with Oriol. 

"I've always been for the team first and this was a situation when I thought of the best interests of the team and club. 

"For me, I'm really happy the situation ended up in a real positive way. Oriol went on to score 10 minutes later, which was even better for us."

And Riera scored again on Sunday night with Santalab making a telling contribution off the bench in the 4-0 win over Phoenix.

This article was originally published at: www.a-league.com.au/news/brendon-santalab-0

7 hours ago, mack said:

SANATALB TAKES SIDES IN GOMBAU/RIERA FEUD!

edit - What game is he talking about? I don't think he ever played in China when Ante was around. Maybe he's talking about one of our pre-season games we played over there.

That one? 12 March 2014, Guizhou Renhe vs WSW, 0:1, ACL group game.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
55 minutes ago, wswnick said:

Straight from the farewell article:

“While we were hopeful that Brendon would take up a prominent role within our community programme that was offered to him, we totally understand and respect his desire to continue his career as professional footballer.”

Hope he comes back when he is done pissing around in Perth....would be great working with the kids in the community and at the club,

• 7 months later...

Well, he is 36, his body was shot last season, and so far he's played 257 minutes for Perth. Club didn't want to spend money on a player they expected in sick bay for much of the time. One can argue the wisdom of this decision, but seeing Bridgey injured all season, it seems justified. Having Duke and Yeboah around seems to make much more sense.