English Championship & Football League Thread

On ‎5‎/‎08‎/‎2018 at 8:56 AM, Smoggy said:

Championship off and running again.

Boro scored an unlikely equalizer in the 97th min of 95 mins of injury time against Millwall :D 

In fact they were 2-0 down after 88mins only to come back to 2-2 :good:

Has 7 key players missing and transfers deals still to be done, more or less a reserve Boro side so will take a point all day long. 

You must be well happy with that, Millwall must have gone off to the showers!

Nice win for Potter against the blades, I'm happy this morning.

On ‎5‎/‎08‎/‎2018 at 8:56 AM, Smoggy said:

Championship off and running again.

Boro scored an unlikely equalizer in the 97th min of 95 mins of injury time against Millwall :D 

In fact they were 2-0 down after 88mins only to come back to 2-2 :good:

Has 7 key players missing and transfers deals still to be done, more or less a reserve Boro side so will take a point all day long. 

You must be a happy camper this morning, top of the league no less, we softened them up for you on Saturday or they really are a soft team.

Did that Traore fella play or has he gone now?

2 minutes ago, WSWJACK said:

You must be a happy camper this morning, top of the league no less, we softened them up for you on Saturday or they really are a soft team.

Did that Traore fella play or has he gone now?

Only 2 other teams played yesterday I think but by all accounts it was a very comfortable win indeed. Yeah, looks like Traore is off to Wolves so didn't play. Mixed emotions about that, on his day he is unplayable and can beat many players with pace to burn, but on too many occasions he goes missing and when you want / need him to step up in a big game he doesn't, he is a bit of an enigma.

Boro are well short of having a team to challenge for promotion, need at least 4 or 5 new players in by the end of the month, permanent or on loan, whichever. 

Yeah, Lids have been threatening for last couple of years to push on, but Biesla is a genius stroke for them, defo got the favourites tag in my book.

Will Biesla beast them and crock a couple halfway through, seems to be his style flat out or flat out on the physio's bench.

Boro just totally nullified Leeds. Great solid performance, well grafted point at a very hard place to go. A perfectly executed game plan, typical Pulis as not always pretty but effective. Leeds will be more disapointed. 5 clean sheets on the bounce, joint top..take that heading in to the international break.

Some were saying Leeds are the Wolves of this season and could run away from the rest. Seen enough tonight to suggest they should be pegged back with the rest.

Middlesbrough are also solid rather than flash....but Boro are going to be a BASTARD of a side to play lol Not giving an inch.

Edited by Smoggy
  • 4 weeks later...
11 minutes ago, WSWJACK said:

Spoils shared Smoggy, very happy with the point, did not see Leeds stumbling to Gary Monk though.

Swansea set up well, organised but with very little ambition from what I heard...they came and played for a point and were happy to leave with it. No issues with that, it is how it is in the grind that is the Championship, sometimes you have to dig in like Swansea did. Not a pretty game though. Swansea did to Boro what Boro did to Leeds a few weeks back.

My concern about the Boro is not enough creativity to break teams down who play negatively and defend the the whole game in numbers. Missed out on a few winger and striker targets and until the transfer window opens again in Jan we will not be fully effective.

Leeds were due a loss so that is good. Often a previous manager comes back to bite you in the arse.

Edited by Smoggy
  • 2 months later...

just looking at this morning's results, what a game at Villa Park  5 - 5 with Forest and a red card, what a league that is, so many teams of equal ability trying to get up and out into the money league.

Would much rather watch the EFL than the plastic EPL, big money tycoons, sponsorship, big time charlies and TV money have ruined the purity of watching the EPL for me, money really is the root of all evil.

12 minutes ago, WSWJACK said:

just looking at this morning's results, what a game at Villa Park  5 - 5 with Forest and a red card, what a league that is, so many teams of equal ability trying to get up and out into the money league.

Would much rather watch the EFL than the plastic EPL, big money tycoons, sponsorship, big time charlies and TV money have ruined the purity of watching the EPL for me, money really is the root of all evil.

I was wondering how that finished up - I saw the score was 2-3 after 20 odd minutes and 3-3 before half time.

2 hours ago, Edinburgh said:

I was wondering how that finished up - I saw the score was 2-3 after 20 odd minutes and 3-3 before half time.

Of the two sets of fans, probably Villa more upset, if you score 5 goals at home against a team of ten men (albeit later in the game) going into the last ten mins leading, I think you would feel 2 points lost.

all the same hell of a match for the neutrals, I'm a bit down though my Swans lost two on the bounce at home f*** it.

3 hours ago, beatsurrender said:

Gotta love a 5-5 away draw plus more importantly we are in the 6 now ahead of the sheep shaggers on GD

Very unkaranka like game...

Boro drew 6 - 6 away at Charlton once...58 years ago when a certain Brian Clough played CF for Boro. He scored 4 goals and still didnt win lol

He went back in the sheds at FT and said to the defense 'do you think if i score 5 next week we will win' lol

• 1 month later...
On 02/12/2018 at 10:52 AM, lloydy136 said:

hard to beat an away win in a derby, from a comedy keeping mistake in front of the away section, by a keeper on loan from man utd.

good times.

The Leeds chairman said this on Saturday:

“Following comments made by Marcelo Bielsa yesterday the club will look to work with our head coach and his staff to remind them of the integrity and honesty which are the foundations that Leeds United is built on,” 

Remind then of the integrity and honesty which are the foundations that Leeds United is built on .....I nearly spat my tea out when I read that :D

Dirty by name, dirty by nature.

Wonder when someone will arrive from Leeds to take up their position at Blacktown to watch us train :D I will absolutely laugh my arse off should Leeds implode from here.... :D

Good times....:D Still top of the table though of course......hopefully some sanctions will take care of that....

Edited by Smoggy
9 hours ago, Smoggy said:

The Leeds chairman said this on Saturday:

“Following comments made by Marcelo Bielsa yesterday the club will look to work with our head coach and his staff to remind them of the integrity and honesty which are the foundations that Leeds United is built on,” 

Remind then of the integrity and honesty which are the foundations that Leeds United is built on .....I nearly spat my tea out when I read that :D

Dirty by name, dirty by nature.

Wonder when someone will arrive from Leeds to take up their position at Blacktown to watch us train :D I will absolutely laugh my arse off should Leeds implode from here.... :D

Good times....:D Still top of the table though of course......hopefully some sanctions will take care of that....

dirty leeds, dirty leeds!

top of the league, one of the best managers in the world playing the best football I have ever seen the team play, buying players from real madrid and making the whole world hate leeds again. good times.

I couldn't be happier with how it is going. the anger from outside is just galvanising the club and the fans. i almost hope the EFL gives us some sort of penalty, will just make everyone stronger and more determined to jam it up all of the pricks on their moral high horse.

also lampard is a massive bellend going on about this when villas-boas is on record saying he did all of the same stuff when he worked for mourinho at chelsea, so maybe frankie should throw all his medals in the bin then?

(still reckon we will try to find a way to **** it up though).

• 1 month later...
On 18/01/2019 at 7:30 AM, lloydy136 said:

dirty leeds, dirty leeds!

top of the league, one of the best managers in the world playing the best football I have ever seen the team play, buying players from real madrid and making the whole world hate leeds again. good times.

I couldn't be happier with how it is going. the anger from outside is just galvanising the club and the fans. i almost hope the EFL gives us some sort of penalty, will just make everyone stronger and more determined to jam it up all of the pricks on their moral high horse.

also lampard is a massive bellend going on about this when villas-boas is on record saying he did all of the same stuff when he worked for mourinho at chelsea, so maybe frankie should throw all his medals in the bin then?

(still reckon we will try to find a way to **** it up though).

Leeds lost to lowly QPR :clapping: This was their game in hand where they could have gone top. Have the wheels finally fallen off the dirty Leeds bandwagon...hope so :)

Although shouldn't be too cocky as Boro are stuttering at best....

Edited by Smoggy
On 27/02/2019 at 4:33 PM, Smoggy said:

Leeds lost to lowly QPR :clapping: This was their game in hand where they could have gone top. Have the wheels finally fallen off the dirty Leeds bandwagon...hope so :)

Although shouldn't be too cocky as Boro are stuttering at best....

back on track this morning smoggy.

the atmosphere around elland road was something else too. I always used to laugh when folks on this forum would slag off the support of english clubs like leeds and talk about how superior wsw support was. its pretty laughable looking back at those discussions now. wsw have had a couple of bad years and the support has halved in numbers, leeds have had 15 bad years and the support (while cynical and sarcastic at times) never wavered. Same can be said for boro, the wendies, forrest etc etc. you don't get that dogged loyalty in many other places and certainly not in the a-league.

btw leeds will still **** this up and not get promoted - prediction - final day loss to already relegated ipswich to miss out on automatic and then lose the playoff final on pens.

4 minutes ago, lloydy136 said:

back on track this morning smoggy.

the atmosphere around elland road was something else too. I always used to laugh when folks on this forum would slag off the support of english clubs like leeds and talk about how superior wsw support was. its pretty laughable looking back at those discussions now. wsw have had a couple of bad years and the support has halved in numbers, leeds have had 15 bad years and the support (while cynical and sarcastic at times) never wavered. Same can be said for boro, the wendies, forrest etc etc. you don't get that dogged loyalty in many other places and certainly not in the a-league.

btw leeds will still **** this up and not get promoted - prediction - final day loss to already relegated ipswich to miss out on automatic and then lose the playoff final on pens.

Was a good win for the dirties againt Brom....play like that your mob will walk it.

40 minutes ago, Smoggy said:

Was a good win for the dirties againt Brom....play like that your mob will walk it.

Agreed. As much as I don't like Leeds, I'd love them back in the top Div.

As for atmosphere at games, I've been to plenty in the motherland. The best atmosphere has always been at the lesser clubs (so to speak). The clubs that struggle or were struggling at the time. 

When I lived out my life long dream and went to St James' Park and saw Newcastle, I was ultimately disappointed (considering the reputation). It did not help that they got beat 0-3 by West Ham, after Shearer scored early but was disallowed for offside. FFS!

Been to White Hart Lane, Highbury, Stamford Bridge, Upton Park as well etc...

Best atmosphere I ever experienced was a League Cup match between Forest and Cambridge. Next best was QPR vs Barnsley in the old Div 2.

These lesser matches were more like Wanderers games. The upper tier matches were really boring. 

I stand to this day that some Wanderers matches (vs Roar 5-4) equal anything I've experienced in England in my small amount of exposure.