English Championship & Football League Thread

3 hours ago, Smoggy said:

And Leeds lose 2-0 to Brentford! Have the Leeds wheels fallen off in the home straight!

I would not want to face Villa in the play offs. They are on a club record 10 game winning streak, they are smashing everyone with ease and cannot see anyone stopping them at the moment.

Probably worried about their upcoming match against WSW in July. 

7 hours ago, Smoggy said:

Not looking good now? Goal diff an issue for Leeds now also...

Villa will smash you in play offs.

Haha yep. Was too confident with my prediction - thought we would **** it up on the last day against ipswich - didnt even make it that far!

As the chant goes...

'Leeds, Leeds are falling apart again. '

Lucky for me supporting them for 30+ years means i am very well prepared for moments like these.

21 minutes ago, lloydy136 said:

Haha yep. Was too confident with my prediction - thought we would **** it up on the last day against ipswich - didnt even make it that far!

As the chant goes...

'Leeds, Leeds are falling apart again. '

Lucky for me supporting them for 30+ years means i am very well prepared for moments like these.

I was going to write that i take no pleasure in seeing Leeds fall apart. .....but thats not true :D

But at least you will be in the play offs unlike the Boro.

Leeds have probably blown their automatic chances so it's 3rd place for them. Villa will play West Brom in one play-off semi and I expect them to win. 6th place is more difficult to pick as there are some tough games left but I'll stick my neck out and say Bristol City. That leaves them playing Leeds in the other semi and I reckon Leeds will prevail. So...by my reckoning....we'll have a Leeds v Villa play-off at Wembley which will be huge !!!

57 minutes ago, MartinTyler said:

Leeds have probably blown their automatic chances so it's 3rd place for them. Villa will play West Brom in one play-off semi and I expect them to win. 6th place is more difficult to pick as there are some tough games left but I'll stick my neck out and say Bristol City. That leaves them playing Leeds in the other semi and I reckon Leeds will prevail. So...by my reckoning....we'll have a Leeds v Villa play-off at Wembley which will be huge !!!

If Villa take their current form in to the play offs they will be unstoppable, they are on fire at the moment. Leeds I don't know about, they look busted and I don't think they will walk through their semi final against Derby or Bristol. 

Villa will be promoted.

I will do my football league round up later...  

Edited by Smoggy
4 hours ago, WSWJACK said:

If Derby and Bristol draw at the weekend, opens up that 6th spot a lot more, as expected down to the last game of season for about 4 clubs in with a shout, bit exciting surely.

A draw will help the Boro, but we really don't deserve to be in the play offs, we have been awful for months.

13 minutes ago, Smoggy said:

A draw will help the Boro, but we really don't deserve to be in the play offs, we have been awful for months.

Forest have dropped off the pace big time....but by all accounts Boro just rolled over on Monday and the scoreline could have been greater...I feel for you !!

Just now, MartinTyler said:

Forest have dropped off the pace big time....but by all accounts Boro just rolled over on Monday and the scoreline could have been greater...I feel for you !!

We have some bad injuries at the min..Friend and Ayala both out, defense has been decimated. But no excuse for some performances of late.

Also we never win at Forest. Curse from the old Clough days when he nevet wanted to lose to his home town club.

1 minute ago, Smoggy said:

We have some bad injuries at the min..Friend and Ayala both out, defense has been decimated. But no excuse for some performances of late.

Also we never win at Forest. Curse from the old Clough days when he nevet wanted to lose to his home town club.

Yep.....I fondly remember the 5-1 thrashing we gave you in your 73-74 promotion season !!

9 minutes ago, MartinTyler said:

Yep.....I fondly remember the 5-1 thrashing we gave you in your 73-74 promotion season !!

Wow lol before my time but that season was legendary for the Boro. Jackie Charlton's lads! What a team that was. Should have gone on to win the top divsion in the following few years,  just a striker short of that is the feeling.

Edited by Smoggy
1 minute ago, Smoggy said:

Wow lol befoe my time but that season was legendary for the Boro. Jackie Charlton's lads! What a team that was. Should have gone on to win the top divsion in the folliwing few year, just a striker short of that is the feeling.

Boro were an excellent side that season....we were on a roll having just beaten star studded Man City 4-1 in the Cup.

2 minutes ago, MartinTyler said:

Boro were an excellent side that season....we were on a roll having just beaten star studded Man City 4-1 in the Cup.

That 5-1 game is still discussed on the Boro forum. My old man was there in the open standing end as it was then. Boro had won loads on the bounce and were run away leaders. They only lost a couple of games all season and this one sticks out as an anomaly. Boro were promoted by late March and had a record points haul ( 2 points for a win).  They thrashed Sheffield Wednesday 8-1 to clinch promotion.

Football league round up as we head in to the home straight-

Championship top

Just a few games to go for most now and Norwich City are getting the draws they need (4 in a row now) to get across the line, they are not getting the championship trophy in style, but they are grinding away and getting the job done, 6 points ahead of 3rd with a far superior goal diff. They can clinch promotion with a win at home to Blackburn this weekend before a very hard away trip to Villa, but they should have the job done before then.

Sheffield United in second have destiny in their own hands. A win at home to already relegated Ipswich should be enough to see them home, they are 3 points ahead of 3rd with a much better goal difference. They finish at Stoke who are already on holiday.

Play offs

This is very interesting this year. Leeds, Villa and WBA have already booked their play off spots. It is between Derby, Bristol City and Middlesbrough for 6th. Derby and Bristol have to play each other at the weekend and a draw would open the way for Boro possibly. Derby and Bristol have a game in hand. Bristol will go to Millwall mid week who are still not safe from relegation and Derby go to Swansea. The final round sees Boro go to Rotherham, Derby to WBA and Bristol to Hull City. On paper Boro have the far easier task of Reading at home and Rotherham away, but they are still reliant on Derby and Bristol dropping points, Derby have it in their own destiny.

This will likely go to the final game and could be one of those situations where an injury time goal could have a dramatic impact on the 6th position. My prediction is the Derby should do just enough to get 6th spot. Villa to storm the play off finals based on current form.

Down the bottom 

Ipswich and Bolton have already gone after dreadful seasons. Potentially further issues in the courts for Bolton, they are in deep trouble. Rotherham currently sit 3rd bottom, 3 points behind Millwall and with goal difference they won't overturn, so basically as good as 4 points adrift. Rotherham have to go to WBA at the weekend and a loss would surely send them down. Millwall are at home to Stoke and a point would likely be enough.

League one

At the top

Luton Town as as good as up, 5 points clear of 3rd and an excellent goal difference. They are at Burton at the weekend and a point from that should be enough, then they should finish the job at home to Oxford the following weekend.

Second place is interesting as there are still 3 teams that could still make it. Barnsley in 2nd at the moment, Portsmouth 2 points behind but with a game in hand, Sunderland another 2 points back. Barnsley are at home to Blackpool next whilst Portsmouth and Sunderland play each other in a real crunch game! Sunderland are at Fleetwood midweek and Portsmouth are at home to Peterborough who are still fighting for a play off spot. Barnsley finish at Bristol Rovers who have nothing to play for, Portsmouth are at home to Accrington Stanley who also have nothing to play for, Sunderland go to Southend who could still be relegated on the final day. Portsmouth  have it in their own hands, win their 3 games they will go up, the game v Sunderland the vital one and then a tricky one against Peterborough. Doncaster should hold on to 6th.

At the bottom

Bradford City have already gone, after that is gets a bit crazy as any one of 11 could still go down, but realistically it us between Walsall, S****horpe, Plymouth Argyle, Wimbledon, Southend, Wycombe and Shrewsbury. There are a few others above these that could still mathematically so down, but I think it will be from those mentioned here. Walsall are on the brink, 4 points from safety, they play Peterborough next and then Shrewsbury, they are as good as gone. S****horpe play already relegated Bradford and then Plymouth in what could be a massive game possibly, Plymouth with a much better goal diff though. Wimbledon have been in the bottom 4 all season and have done well to stay alive this long. they are just 1 point behind Plymouth and just 1 goal between them. Wimbledon are at home to Wycombe and then finish at already relegated Bradford, win both and they would likely stay up. Could be some crazy final day happenings at the bottom of league 1.

League 2

At the top

Lincoln City already up.Bury sit 2nd, Mansfield Town 3rd, MKD 4th, Forest Green 5th, top 3 go up and any of these could nip in still. Bury have a hard trip to play off contenders Tranmere and finish against nothing to play for Port Vale. Mansfield play Stevenage  who could still make the play offs and then finish against MKD, so a hard run in for them. MKD play Colchester United who are still involved in the play off places race then they will play Mansfield. Forest Green play Crewe who have nothing to play for and then Exeter City who are in a play off spot, so a few play off contenders playing each other. Could be some surprises here, Forest Green who current sit 5th could take 3rd..like the bottom of the 1st division could be a crazy final day.

At the bottom

Notts County and Yeovil Town are both bottom on 38 points, 2 points behind Macclesfield Town. Notts have -35 GD, Yeovil -25 GD and Macclesfield  -27 GD. Notts play Grimsby who have nothing to play for and finish away to Swindon who could still make the play offs, but wont. Yeovil play away to Northampton who have nothing to play for and at home to Carlisle United who could still make the play offs, but probably wont. Macclesfield are away to Port Vale and then home to Cambridge United . Both sit just above the relegation zone but both are now safe are very poor seasons. Macclesfield have the easiest run in.

Unthinkable that Notts County, a founder member of the league and a team that were in the top division as a kid would drop to the conference! It looks like it may well happen though.

National League

At the top

Just one round left in the National League. Leyton Orient are back, Salford City and Solihull Moors in the top 2 play off spaces, they will meet the winners of the first round of play off games - Flyde, Wrexham, Harrogate Town, Eastleigh, these 4 will play each other to meet Salford or Solihull. Ebsfleet too far behind to get in the play offs and so all locked in.

At the bottom

Even with 1 round left relegation is all done as well. Aldershot, Havant, Braintree and Maidstone all drop down to the regional National League areas.

So lots to be sorted in the final few weeks, we need relegation and promotion here asap lol :D

Whilst on the National League, former League club Torquay have won the Southern Division whilst Stockport County will be promoted from the Northern Division if they win at the weekend. Stockport have been pulling home crowds of 5-6k recently, far more than when I saw them in League 1 ten years ago !!

15 hours ago, MartinTyler said:

Whilst on the National League, former League club Torquay have won the Southern Division whilst Stockport County will be promoted from the Northern Division if they win at the weekend. Stockport have been pulling home crowds of 5-6k recently, far more than when I saw them in League 1 ten years ago !!

I recall going to Stockport on a cold rainy Feb night for the league cup semi final 1st leg..we got there and the game was called off because of a waterlogged pitch. Went back the following week and won 2-0.

I was hoping both Darlington and Harlepool would get promoted. Darlo edpecially so as i used to go and see them at Feethams when Boro were not at home. Great little ground that was, you walked around a cricket pitch to the ground.

On 25/04/2019 at 5:21 PM, Smoggy said:

Football league round up as we head in to the home straight-

Championship top

Just a few games to go for most now and Norwich City are getting the draws they need (4 in a row now) to get across the line, they are not getting the championship trophy in style, but they are grinding away and getting the job done, 6 points ahead of 3rd with a far superior goal diff. They can clinch promotion with a win at home to Blackburn this weekend before a very hard away trip to Villa, but they should have the job done before then.

Sheffield United in second have destiny in their own hands. A win at home to already relegated Ipswich should be enough to see them home, they are 3 points ahead of 3rd with a much better goal difference. They finish at Stoke who are already on holiday.

Play offs

This is very interesting this year. Leeds, Villa and WBA have already booked their play off spots. It is between Derby, Bristol City and Middlesbrough for 6th. Derby and Bristol have to play each other at the weekend and a draw would open the way for Boro possibly. Derby and Bristol have a game in hand. Bristol will go to Millwall mid week who are still not safe from relegation and Derby go to Swansea. The final round sees Boro go to Rotherham, Derby to WBA and Bristol to Hull City. On paper Boro have the far easier task of Reading at home and Rotherham away, but they are still reliant on Derby and Bristol dropping points, Derby have it in their own destiny.

This will likely go to the final game and could be one of those situations where an injury time goal could have a dramatic impact on the 6th position. My prediction is the Derby should do just enough to get 6th spot. Villa to storm the play off finals based on current form.

Down the bottom 

Ipswich and Bolton have already gone after dreadful seasons. Potentially further issues in the courts for Bolton, they are in deep trouble. Rotherham currently sit 3rd bottom, 3 points behind Millwall and with goal difference they won't overturn, so basically as good as 4 points adrift. Rotherham have to go to WBA at the weekend and a loss would surely send them down. Millwall are at home to Stoke and a point would likely be enough.

League one

At the top

Luton Town as as good as up, 5 points clear of 3rd and an excellent goal difference. They are at Burton at the weekend and a point from that should be enough, then they should finish the job at home to Oxford the following weekend.

Second place is interesting as there are still 3 teams that could still make it. Barnsley in 2nd at the moment, Portsmouth 2 points behind but with a game in hand, Sunderland another 2 points back. Barnsley are at home to Blackpool next whilst Portsmouth and Sunderland play each other in a real crunch game! Sunderland are at Fleetwood midweek and Portsmouth are at home to Peterborough who are still fighting for a play off spot. Barnsley finish at Bristol Rovers who have nothing to play for, Portsmouth are at home to Accrington Stanley who also have nothing to play for, Sunderland go to Southend who could still be relegated on the final day. Portsmouth  have it in their own hands, win their 3 games they will go up, the game v Sunderland the vital one and then a tricky one against Peterborough. Doncaster should hold on to 6th.

At the bottom

Bradford City have already gone, after that is gets a bit crazy as any one of 11 could still go down, but realistically it us between Walsall, S****horpe, Plymouth Argyle, Wimbledon, Southend, Wycombe and Shrewsbury. There are a few others above these that could still mathematically so down, but I think it will be from those mentioned here. Walsall are on the brink, 4 points from safety, they play Peterborough next and then Shrewsbury, they are as good as gone. S****horpe play already relegated Bradford and then Plymouth in what could be a massive game possibly, Plymouth with a much better goal diff though. Wimbledon have been in the bottom 4 all season and have done well to stay alive this long. they are just 1 point behind Plymouth and just 1 goal between them. Wimbledon are at home to Wycombe and then finish at already relegated Bradford, win both and they would likely stay up. Could be some crazy final day happenings at the bottom of league 1.

League 2

At the top

Lincoln City already up.Bury sit 2nd, Mansfield Town 3rd, MKD 4th, Forest Green 5th, top 3 go up and any of these could nip in still. Bury have a hard trip to play off contenders Tranmere and finish against nothing to play for Port Vale. Mansfield play Stevenage  who could still make the play offs and then finish against MKD, so a hard run in for them. MKD play Colchester United who are still involved in the play off places race then they will play Mansfield. Forest Green play Crewe who have nothing to play for and then Exeter City who are in a play off spot, so a few play off contenders playing each other. Could be some surprises here, Forest Green who current sit 5th could take 3rd..like the bottom of the 1st division could be a crazy final day.

At the bottom

Notts County and Yeovil Town are both bottom on 38 points, 2 points behind Macclesfield Town. Notts have -35 GD, Yeovil -25 GD and Macclesfield  -27 GD. Notts play Grimsby who have nothing to play for and finish away to Swindon who could still make the play offs, but wont. Yeovil play away to Northampton who have nothing to play for and at home to Carlisle United who could still make the play offs, but probably wont. Macclesfield are away to Port Vale and then home to Cambridge United . Both sit just above the relegation zone but both are now safe are very poor seasons. Macclesfield have the easiest run in.

Unthinkable that Notts County, a founder member of the league and a team that were in the top division as a kid would drop to the conference! It looks like it may well happen though.

National League

At the top

Just one round left in the National League. Leyton Orient are back, Salford City and Solihull Moors in the top 2 play off spaces, they will meet the winners of the first round of play off games - Flyde, Wrexham, Harrogate Town, Eastleigh, these 4 will play each other to meet Salford or Solihull. Ebsfleet too far behind to get in the play offs and so all locked in.

At the bottom

Even with 1 round left relegation is all done as well. Aldershot, Havant, Braintree and Maidstone all drop down to the regional National League areas.

So lots to be sorted in the final few weeks, we need relegation and promotion here asap lol :D

“All the people... so many people... they all sing.. who’s that team in blue..

Southend”

(to Parklife by Blur)

Bolton v Brentford has been called off by the English Football League as players have not been paid since February and they have decided enough is enough. Desperate times for Bolton, already relegated, a court case pending and now charged with misconduct by the EFL, they may not be able to finish their final 2 games of the season.

I can see a major points deduction coming their way for the start of the season, but that might be the best outcome. They could yet be booted down to league 2 or even in to the National League.

As bad as your club problems might be, be glad you are not a Bolton supporter...

Edited by Smoggy
13 hours ago, Smoggy said:

Bolton v Brentford has been called off by the English Football League as players have not been paid since February and they have decided enough is enough. Desperate times for Bolton, already relegated, a court case pending and now charged with misconduct by the EFL, they may not be able to finish their final 2 games of the season.

I can see a major points deduction coming their way for the start of the season, but that might be the best outcome. They could yet be booted down to league 2 or even in to the National League.

As bad as your club problems might be, be glad you are not a Bolton supporter...

Now that is really sad news, Big name from the past Bolton, recent memory playing in the top tier led by an "England Manager', great modern stadium, good fans, where the hell did that go tits up for them?

9 minutes ago, WSWJACK said:

Now that is really sad news, Big name from the past Bolton, recent memory playing in the top tier led by an "England Manager', great modern stadium, good fans, where the hell did that go tits up for them?

Dodgy owner, never getting their books in order when relegated from the EPL. Being relegated from the EPL is massivd, look at Sunderland, Portsmouth, Coventry and Charlton who have all been languishing in leauge 2, look at where Notts County are, i class them as a championship level club. When Boro were relegated under Southgate in 2008 we could easily have gone the same way, our wage bill was massive and unsustainable and we failed to get back at the first attempt. Boro's owner then probably set the club in to championship survival mode and serious cut the wage bill and made savings across the club. He brought in Tony Mowbray as a solid manager and what followed was an uninspiring dour mid table season, but that would set the club right financially.

It is interesting to note that over Boro's 120 odd year history they have never spent more than 2 seasons outside of the top 2 divisions. We are seen as a well run solid club that gets its moment in the EPL each decade,  we will always bounce between the EPL and championship. I am very thankful for Steve Gibson keeping Boro from having Bolton like issues.

Some interesting results overnight, i will round up later. Boro won, but so did Derby. If Derby get 3 points at Swansea mid week season over for us. I think we will beat Rotherham final game and Derby have a hard trip to WBA so anything less than a win at Swansea and they will be nervous, but i think they will get it.

9 hours ago, Smoggy said:

Dodgy owner, never getting their books in order when relegated from the EPL. Being relegated from the EPL is massivd, look at Sunderland, Portsmouth, Coventry and Charlton who have all been languishing in leauge 2, look at where Notts County are, i class them as a championship level club. When Boro were relegated under Southgate in 2008 we could easily have gone the same way, our wage bill was massive and unsustainable and we failed to get back at the first attempt. Boro's owner then probably set the club in to championship survival mode and serious cut the wage bill and made savings across the club. He brought in Tony Mowbray as a solid manager and what followed was an uninspiring dour mid table season, but that would set the club right financially.

It is interesting to note that over Boro's 120 odd year history they have never spent more than 2 seasons outside of the top 2 divisions. We are seen as a well run solid club that gets its moment in the EPL each decade,  we will always bounce between the EPL and championship. I am very thankful for Steve Gibson keeping Boro from having Bolton like issues.

Some interesting results overnight, i will round up later. Boro won, but so did Derby. If Derby get 3 points at Swansea mid week season over for us. I think we will beat Rotherham final game and Derby have a hard trip to WBA so anything less than a win at Swansea and they will be nervous, but i think they will get it.

If Swans hadn't blown a two goal lead and beaten Hull then the Derby game would have made life even more interesting, but it's in Derby's hands now and fair play excellent win for them at Ashton gate, Lampard is having a dream season with them.

As per Bolton, shitting ourselves down at Swansea, Yank hedge fund owners doing exactly the same trying to cut wage bills by selling the household silver and bugger all investment, parachute payments dispersing into shell like companies, they're going to strip it bare recoup their initial takeover investment and run to the hills leaving a gaping wound, looking grim at the moment, just wish they would hurry up and bugger off. 

I’ve got Bolton supporters in my extended family so I’ve always had a soft spot for them.

They massively overachieved in the mid 2000’s with a squad that included Nicolas Anelka, Ivan Campo, Gary Cahil, El Hadji Diouf and a young Scott Jamison. That team went on a UEFA Cup run that included a 2-2 away draw against Bayern Munich and knocking out Athletico Madrid over two legs.

That was never sustainable and they really should have been a Championship team that occasionally went up (as Smoggy described Boro) but the owner can’t afford that and doesn’t want to let go. The alarm bells were ringing a few years ago when they sold part of the stadium car park to pay wages but it looks like nothing’s changed.

They bounced straight back from League One last season but it looks like they’ll be trying again from a significant negative points total (at best) an either a whole new squad or a squad that just went on strike.

2 hours ago, Davo said:

I’ve got Bolton supporters in my extended family so I’ve always had a soft spot for them.

They massively overachieved in the mid 2000’s with a squad that included Nicolas Anelka, Ivan Campo, Gary Cahil, El Hadji Diouf and a young Scott Jamison. That team went on a UEFA Cup run that included a 2-2 away draw against Bayern Munich and knocking out Athletico Madrid over two legs.

That was never sustainable and they really should have been a Championship team that occasionally went up (as Smoggy described Boro) but the owner can’t afford that and doesn’t want to let go. The alarm bells were ringing a few years ago when they sold part of the stadium car park to pay wages but it looks like nothing’s changed.

They bounced straight back from League One last season but it looks like they’ll be trying again from a significant negative points total (at best) an either a whole new squad or a squad that just went on strike.

If Bolton aren't careful they will find themselves in Notts County's current position. That situation nearly happened to Portsmouth and I consider them as big a club / similar as Bolton. Desperate times for them.

So did anyone else see the controversy from the Dirties v Villa game? 

Dirty Leeds scored 'against the spirit of the game', and Bamford simulated and got a Villa player sent off.

So the incredible thing is Biesla ordered his team to concede a goal, which they did...much to the consternation of some Dirty Leeds players who didn't want to lol

Dirty Leeds have been playing against the spirit of the game since Don Revie's time so not sure how this is any different.

As Clough said 'you lot may be internationals, but as far as i am concerned  the first thing you can do for me is chuck all your medals and all your caps and all your pots and all your pans in the biggest ******* dustbin you can find. Because you never won any of them fairly. You've done it all by cheating.'

Just went over it again, maybe the Football authorities need to come out with some sort of statement now, that play continues until the referee blows,  it's the same mantra you hear in park football all over the world "play to the whistle!".

Players kicking it out when a player goes down hard is all good and sporting and all that, but with the amount of cheating diving rolling actors abounding the leagues all over the world, more than happy for them to be ignored lying on the ground as if a sniper from row f has popped them, just as in Rugby a trainer should be allowed to run on and "treat" the injured player, then when he is off not allowed back until he elapses the same amount of time injured.

How many times does a shirker milk an injury then as soon as he is off, bang arm up "all good Ref !", it's a tricky one, the Ref as to be seen as empathic to injured players but there are some out there who take the piss far too easily. 

8 hours ago, WSWJACK said:

It not something you see every weekend, cannot remember this being done before in the English leagues, am i wrong?

I've seen it in a league or two down but I forget the details.

There was one a while back involving Arsenal I think when the opposition kicked it out because an Arsenal player was down; the Arsenal striker received the ball from the throw in and instead of kicking it back went on a run and scored. I don't think they allowed tye opposition to score in return after but I could be wrong.

As for playing to the whistle, well, that's the rule already isn't it?

Edited by marron

Bamford has been charged by the FA for his dirty (Leeds) work, and the red card canceled for the Villa player. 

Wonder who will ref our game against the Dirties. Prob best to protect any decent new signings else they be injured out of the new season.

Edited by Smoggy