English Championship & Football League Thread

Harry Kewell been giving the job as manager at Oldham Athletic 

Personally, I hope he fails...only because when he was a manager at Notts County (who I support), he did f*ck all. 

The managerial stats aren't looking well for him:

7GPd3LP.png?1

8 minutes ago, MathyouWSW said:

Harry Kewell been giving the job as manager at Oldham Athletic 

Personally, I hope he fails...only because when he was a manager at Notts County (who I support), he did f*ck all. 

The managerial stats aren't looking well for him:

7GPd3LP.png?1

Yeah but Notts were a basket case when he joined....

On 03/08/2020 at 12:18 PM, WSWJACK said:

Some impressive listings there, shittiest was Ninian park one of the boys foolishly left a black & white scarf on the mini bus mirrors, got back after the game tyres slashed and all the windows bricked in, t**ts.

easy visit & nice pub outside was Blackburn, just sat down with locals with away shirts/scarves on talking football, nice day out very friendly.

Ninian Park game I was at - 

I am not too far out of shot I think at around 24secs with the bloke of the fence, who knows might even be my hands on the top of the fence next to him. Ninian Park was a bit like Boro's Ayresome Park, intimidating for away fans.

Well done also to Harrogate Town for making it to the EFL for the first time! :)

I lived down the road from their ground for a little while, they were only in the regional lower divisions then though. Another league ground I can tick off though :D

The fans sing 'Town full of tea shops, we're just a town full of teaaa shops, towwwwnnn full of teaaa shops, we're just a town full of tea shops' :D 

11 minutes ago, MartinTyler said:

Their play-off record is horrendous !!

That alone should have spurred them on in the final game at home to Barnsley when 3 points would have sent them up.

I watched that game live. They totally choked and Barnsley's fight to stay up was greater than their wish to go up.

Perhaps they were unfortunate in that they had to play a team in the last game with everything to play for...but they should have finished the job...they were dreadful.

3 hours ago, Smoggy said:

More heart break for Brentford. Their 74 year wait to return to the top flight drags on.

Only themselves to blame for choking against Stoke and Barnsley when it was all in their hands.

Pretty poor nervous game by the accounts i'm reading, nothing for or against either club but Fulham have been up there before, would have been nice for the smaller club who have never been in the top tier to have their turn

3 hours ago, Smoggy said:

That alone should have spurred them on in the final game at home to Barnsley when 3 points would have sent them up.

I watched that game live. They totally choked and Barnsley's fight to stay up was greater than their wish to go up.

Perhaps they were unfortunate in that they had to play a team in the last game with everything to play for...but they should have finished the job...they were dreadful.

I watched the Stoke game live....offered nothing that day when auto promotion was a definite possibility

• 2 weeks later...
On 04/08/2020 at 2:33 PM, MartinTyler said:

Yeah but Notts were a basket case when he joined....

So true, it was a sh*t year to be a Notts County fan, they did have some sh*t players (and some of them were on loan to the club).

On 04/08/2020 at 7:37 PM, Smoggy said:

Well done also to Harrogate Town for making it to the EFL for the first time! :)

I lived down the road from their ground for a little while, they were only in the regional lower divisions then though. Another league ground I can tick off though :D

The fans sing 'Town full of tea shops, we're just a town full of teaaa shops, towwwwnnn full of teaaa shops, we're just a town full of tea shops' :D 

Being a Notts County fan, I was gutted at first when they lost the playoff against them. However, when I found out this is their first time into the EFL, I was happy for them.

They have Jon Stead who is a former Notts County player. Notts County should of never let him leave the club, he was a fan favourite. 

3 hours ago, MathyouWSW said:

So true, it was a sh*t year to be a Notts County fan, they did have some sh*t players (and some of them were on loan to the club).

Being a Notts County fan, I was gutted at first when they lost the playoff against them. However, when I found out this is their first time into the EFL, I was happy for them.

They have Jon Stead who is a former Notts County player. Notts County should of never let him leave the club, he was a fan favourite. 

Wow..Notts County fan! Said this before but your ground was an absolute dump to visit in the 80's and early 90's before a rebuild. I spent two away games there (one a play off semi final second leg) in what can only be described as a fenced off corridor going up the corner of the bank being the goal..i seen **** all at either game. That is where Middlesbrough fans climbed up the floodlights pylons to get a view.

1 hour ago, Smoggy said:

Wow..Notts County fan! Said this before but your ground was an absolute dump to visit in the 80's and early 90's before a rebuild. I spent two away games there (one a play off semi final second leg) in what can only be described as a fenced off corridor going up the corner of the bank being the goal..i seen **** all at either game. That is where Middlesbrough fans climbed up the floodlights pylons to get a view.

Sadly, I've never been to the ground but seen images of it and I think it looks like needs an upgrade. I don't think that'll happen for a while since it's a very poor club. 

Edited by MathyouWSW
12 hours ago, MathyouWSW said:

You might be right. first image seems like a decent view. I would love to go there one day.  

2560px-ViewFromKop.jpg

MeadowLane2.jpg

MeadowLane3.jpg

MeadowLane1.jpg

I went to a game there 5 years ago. Whilst the place has lost it's 'old charm' the new stands are very functional for a L1/L2 placed club.

Notts County games I was at

The big 1995 season when promoted under Bryan Robson, last min equaliser....and I wasn't far from those running on the pitch. It cuts off but it took a while to get the game going again, Boro fans going mental all over the shop. It was towards the end of the season and we were in top spot and a point at the death was massive...crazy away days those -

A warm balmy May evening in 1991 for the play off final second leg for a place at Wembley, County managed by Warnock who now managed Middlesbrough. Great view down to the old terrace at the start. I can't recall if it was this game the Boro fans climbed up the floodlights or if at the game there earlier in the season..we lost and County would win promotion at Wembley to the top flight the following week.

Edited by Smoggy
22 minutes ago, Smoggy said:

Actually I have just found this photo of Meadow lane with away fans up the floodlight pylon, my memory not unusual it would seem. Not surprising though as the sight lines were dreadful with high fences...I got to see very little of the play off game.

Notts County History on Twitter: "There's no better day than his ...

You have to love fans back in the day being able to sit wherever to watch a packed out game ....can you imagine a bunch of seccos from ANZ or Spotless trying to go through that crowd to get people off the towers.....lol time........:D They'd never get out alive...:D

9 hours ago, sonar said:

You have to love fans back in the day being able to sit wherever to watch a packed out game ....can you imagine a bunch of seccos from ANZ or Spotless trying to go through that crowd to get people off the towers.....lol time........:D They'd never get out alive...:D

For big games at Ayresome with capacity crowd it wasn't unusual to see fans climb up on the roof of the Holgate end to watch the game. 

21 hours ago, Smoggy said:

Actually I have just found this photo of Meadow lane with away fans up the floodlight pylon, my memory not unusual it would seem. Not surprising though as the sight lines were dreadful with high fences...I got to see very little of the play off game.

Notts County History on Twitter: "There's no better day than his ...

Imagine being up there for 90 minutes plus...unbelievable. I would be dying for a beer after the game.

3 minutes ago, MathyouWSW said:

Imagine being up there for 90 minutes plus...unbelievable. I would be dying for a beer after the game.

Aye, many of the Boro lads that shinned up the pylons (climbing over barbs and so on) or up on to the roof of a stand were hard as **** north sea riggers or other kinds ofheavy industry workers, I recall some would have their work boots on lol No strangers to heights and toughing it out. My old man called them 'bloody idiots', I though they were brave as ****.

Edited by Smoggy
17 minutes ago, Smoggy said:

Aye, many of the Boro lads that shinned up the pylons (climbing over barbs and so on) or up on to the roof of a stand were hard as **** north sea riggers or other kinds ofheavy industry workers, I recall some would have their work boots on lol No strangers to heights and toughing it out. My old man called them 'bloody idiots', I though they were brave as ****.

LOL, the things you do for football 

Since we are chatting about English football stadiums, I've read a few times that Luton Town's Kenilworth Road is the worst for away fans because the away entrance is surrounding some houses and once you enter, you need to take some stairs which can overlook into people's backyard? Seems weird.

1 minute ago, MathyouWSW said:

Since we are chatting about English football stadiums, I've read a few times that Luton Town's Kenilworth Road is the worst for away fans because the away entrance is surrounding some houses and once you enter, you need to take some stairs which can overlook into people's backyard? Seems weird.

Yeah..Leicester's old ground was the same. Derby County's baseball ground was another odd one. The stands weren't straight to the pitch ...I don't think there was a right angle in the place.

30 minutes ago, MathyouWSW said:

_108201008_gettyimages-900351570.jpg

kenilworth-road-luton-town-fc-away-fans-

cb956c4a49f1d1c30423b49759d2b39b.jpg

Edited by marron
15 hours ago, marron said:

_108201008_gettyimages-900351570.jpg

kenilworth-road-luton-town-fc-away-fans-

cb956c4a49f1d1c30423b49759d2b39b.jpg

Ah my brother was there a few months back for the Swansea game, remember him saying it was a bloody odd set up, the locals must hate Saturday afternoons in that street, believe a few windows used to go through regularly back in the 70's & 80s when the hooligans were in their pomp.

3 hours ago, WSWJACK said:

Ah my brother was there a few months back for the Swansea game, remember him saying it was a bloody odd set up, the locals must hate Saturday afternoons in that street, believe a few windows used to go through regularly back in the 70's & 80s when the hooligans were in their pomp.

Buy a house somewhere like that you know what the deal will be.

1 hour ago, Smoggy said:

Buy a house somewhere like that you know what the deal will be.

Remember Sportsnight with Coleman midweek FA cup match on the telly, there with either Chelsea or Milwall, it was like WW3 kicking off there...mad.