Glory for Perth this morning,  St Johnstone won the FA Cup* to go with the League Cup they won a few months ago.

*And the icing on the cake is they beat Hibs!

St Johnstone are only the 2nd club outwith the Old Firm to do the cup double. Aberdeen did it twice, in 1986 when Ferguson was manager, ang again in the 90s (94?).

1 hour ago, Edinburgh said:

Glory for Perth this morning,  St Johnstone won the FA Cup* to go with the League Cup they won a few months ago.

*And the icing on the cake is they beat Hibs!

St Johnstone are only the 2nd club outwith the Old Firm to do the cup double. Aberdeen did it twice, in 1986 when Ferguson was manager, ang again in the 90s (94?).

I've been to St Johnstone to see a pre season friendly against Middlesbrough. All Scottish grounds seem to do awesome pie and mash. Kilmarnock had the best ground food outlet. Motherwell had some great cafs around the town.

Edited by Smoggy

Exert from the UK Daily Mail  

Celtic 'close to announcing little-known Ange Postecoglou as new boss' with Greek-born former Australia manager set to join from Japanese side Yokohama F Marinos after talks with Eddie Howe break down

• Celtic are set to appoint ex-Australia manager Ange Postecoglou, say reports
  • The 55-year-old is currently at Japanese top-flight side Yokohama F. Marinos
  • Postecoglou took Australia to the 2014 World Cup but exited the group stages
  • Celtic's talks with number one target Eddie Howe broke down earlier on Friday

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-9631221/Celtic-close-announcing-little-known-Ange-Postecoglou-new-manager.html

Biggest issue for Ange would be instilling his philosophy as quickly as possible. It usually takes him a while to get the players to play how he wants and Celtic wont give him much time to adapt. Particularly with Rangers stopping them from winning ten in a row, they'll want instant results.

27 minutes ago, MathyouWSW said:

It's a big step for Ange.

But, if he gets the nod and actually settles in well, it could be good news for Australian footballers to potientally open the door to start their career in Europe (that's if they have the skills for it).

I doubt it. This is what got popa and Arnie in hot water bringing their mates over. However Ange since joining Yokohama has never brought in an Aussie player he would have his reasons for doing that. In fact Degenek was the only Aussie player he coached but was there before Ange and left for Red Star. The only thing Ange takes on is Aussie coaches.

Personally though I think if Ange heads to Scotland the Celtic fans will be in for a shock because Ange style is not too different to Bielsa and he will have access to resources far exceeding anything he has had previously. It will be interesting to see how it pans out.

On 29/05/2021 at 12:50 PM, StringerBellend said:

Ange ball in Scotland will be interesting 

I picture as he explains playing out from the back that their centre backs will have that look that a caveman might get while trying to use an iPhone 

Depends how good his new language interpreter is ....

On 29/05/2021 at 12:50 PM, StringerBellend said:

Ange ball in Scotland will be interesting 

I picture as he explains playing out from the back that their centre backs will have that look that a caveman might get while trying to use an iPhone 

Say you don’t watch Celtic without saying you don’t watch Celtic. 

Anyone got any opinions on how Ange will fare in charge of Celtic?   He's always appeared to me better suited to  managing a club  rather than a national team.

Seems to be major scepticism on the various Celtic forums I've visited, possibly justified, according to the fans the club's a mess.

Been watching  the Japanese cup match featuring Yokohama on now, the team definitely has defensive weaknesses, probably should be a couple of goals down at halftime instead of 1-1.

15 minutes ago, papersun said:

Anyone got any opinions on how Ange will fare in charge of Celtic?   He's always appeared to me better suited to  managing a club  rather than a national team.

Seems to be major scepticism on the various Celtic forums I've visited, possibly justified, according to the fans the club's a mess.

Been watching  the Japanese cup match featuring Yokohama on now, the team definitely has defensive weaknesses, probably should be a couple of goals down at halftime instead of 1-1.

Manager of Celtic is simples...win silverware straight away....lots of it....if not your out. The tolerance to finishing second, winning nothing and losing to Rangers is absolute zero. There is no settling in period or season.

2 hours ago, Sithslayer1991 said:

At this stage there would be two things postponing the announcement. The compensation to Yokohama F Marinos and Ange's quals. That is silly rule that AFC coach qualifications don't transfer to European coach quals

Sky Sports are reporting that Yokohama and Celtic have agreed on a compensation payment and that Celtic have applied for an exemption through a "recognition of competence procedure", which they expect to be approved give his years of experience and that he's coached at a World Cup.

Edited by Davo
1 hour ago, StringerBellend said:

Is it really a step up? Scottish football is **** 

Take out Celtic and Rangers Scottish prem is prob around league 1 standard in England. Hibernian and Hearts on their day / season would be decent championship sides south of the border. Aberdeen have a bit of history because of Fergie. The rest is shyte lower league 1 to 2 standard.

Celtic and Rangers would be EPL relegation fodder types, like West ham or Aston Villa size.

Edited by Smoggy
4 hours ago, Smoggy said:

Take out Celtic and Rangers Scottish prem is prob around league 1 standard in England. Hibernian and Hearts on their day / season would be decent championship sides south of the border. Aberdeen have a bit of history because of Fergie. The rest is shyte lower league 1 to 2 standard.

Celtic and Rangers would be EPL relegation fodder types, like West ham or Aston Villa size.

Exactly is it really a step up for Ange. The J League is a good standard, and technically better players. The arrogance of the Celtic fans saying is he good enough or experienced enough for them. FFS it's a 2 horse race with teams that crash out of European footy at the first hurdle in a country that hasn't qualified for the world cup since way before brit pop.

9 hours ago, StringerBellend said:

Exactly is it really a step up for Ange. The J League is a good standard, and technically better players. The arrogance of the Celtic fans saying is he good enough or experienced enough for them. FFS it's a 2 horse race with teams that crash out of European footy at the first hurdle in a country that hasn't qualified for the world cup since way before brit pop.

I was actually thinking the same. The Scottish league is below the standard of J-league once you take out Celtic and Rangers (even then I would argue the top 4 or 5 teams in J-league would giver Rangers and Celtic a run for their money), BUT its more visual to the top leagues specifically Championship and Premier league. Ange is more likely to get a move to Premier League from Celtic than at J-league even though J-league is higher quality than the Scottish league.

12 hours ago, Sithslayer1991 said:

I was actually thinking the same. The Scottish league is below the standard of J-league once you take out Celtic and Rangers (even then I would argue the top 4 or 5 teams in J-league would giver Rangers and Celtic a run for their money), BUT its more visual to the top leagues specifically Championship and Premier league. Ange is more likely to get a move to Premier League from Celtic than at J-league even though J-league is higher quality than the Scottish league.

Exactly, Rangers and Celtic are a stepping stone to the EPL.

• mack locked this topic