Matthew Spiranovic

mack

http://m.foxsports.com.au/football/a-league/sydney-fc-is-hunting-wanderers-centreback-matthew-spiranovic-as-its-australian-marquee-player/story-e6frf4gl-1226788392585?from=public_rss&utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=twitterfeed

Farina wants spira as Australian marquee next year, though he seems like he is interested in playing under popa. Interesting one, don't know who this one comes from, probably someone close to him.

I don't want to sign up to read it, can you quote it?

Also I'm sure everyone can see that signing for ESFC is a death knell for your career. So... I'm sure he won't.

Sydney FC is hunting Wanderers centre-back Matthew Spiranovic as its Australian marquee player

SYDNEY FC are hunting Wanderers centreback Matthew Spiranovic to become the Sky Blues' Australian marquee player next season and a key figure in coach Frank Farina's long-term strategy for the club.

The 25-year-old only joined Western Sydney in October after cutting short an ill-fated stint in Qatar, and has displaced club captain Michael Beauchamp in half the games so far this season.

But Farina has sought to sign a ball-laying defender after the release of Pascal Bosschaart, with Brazilian defender Tiago Calvano also set to leave the club at the end of the season.

Under the proposed deal with Spiranovic, believed to be worth more than $500,000, Farina would make the defender a key part of the team's spine as he bids to inject pace and technique into the squad.

Spiranovic is widely expected to make a late run into Ange Postecoglou's plans for the World Cup if his return continues to the level of form that has so far won him 16 caps.

Brett Emerton is in his third season as Sydney's Australian marquee but is unsure of his own plans about playing on beyond this campaign, with any future deal at Sydney certain to come inside the salary cap.

Long seen in many quarters as a future Australian captain, Spiranovic's career has stalled in the past two years. After becoming frustrated at J-League side Urawa Reds he took the surprising decision to join Qatari side Al-Arabi on a $2m deal in 2012, but struggled with an ongoing ankle injury and ultimately made only 12 appearances.

He hasn't featured in the national team since his last cap more than 14 months ago, but hopes for a chance in the squad Postecoglou will put together for a European-based friendly in March, his last before selecting his World Cup squad.

However it's understood the player himself favours playing on under Tony Popovic, even though a new deal with Western Sydney would be far less lucrative and there is likely to be further interest from elsewhere, especially if Western Sydney repeat their success of last season.

Farina meanwhile has deliberately manoeuvred his squad so that a majority of his squad is off contract, with the aim of effecting an overhaul after years of underperformance since winning the double in 2010.

That includes defenders Tiago, Matt Jurman and Nikola Petkovic, as well as Emerton and fellow marquee Alessandro Del Piero.

Farina has admitted publicly that he has spoken to a number of putative targets, as he puts together a squad list he says will finally be "his team"

Western Sydney this week re-signed Ante Covic and Shannon Cole for next season, but the club insists it is in no hurry to re-sign playmakers Shinji Ono and Youssouf Hersi.

Ono was the subject of a bid for the January transfer window from J-League side Consadole Sapporo last week that was flatly rejected by the Wanderers, who want the former Japanese international for their Asian Champions League campaign.

Sydney FC CEO Tony Pignata could not be contacted for comment about the interest in Spiranovic.

I'll be surprised if Spiranovic is playing in the A-League next season. This bloke is class and higher and better opportunities await if he stays fit and selects the right club to move too.

Agree 100%...had his best game all season. Meggsy must be feeling so conflicted after tonight... Happy for the win but a little down that he's got Spira in front of him

ESFC are targetting Spranovic five years too soon.

I would be very disappointed if Spiranovic was still to play in the HAL next season. He is an A class player and way too good for the the A League. Beauchamp isn't in the stands for nothing. It truly would be an insult if Neill was to make it to Brazil, and Spiranovic didn't. If Spiranovic makes the WC squad then he'll be back on the radar of the Eureopean clubs and is bound to play in a top league after Brazil.

For now, let's enjoy Matthew being around. It'll be good to have him on the pitch this coming Saturday in Melbourne, and beyond.

ESFC are targetting Spranovic five years too soon.

I would be very disappointed if Spiranovic was still to play in the HAL next season. He is an A class player and way too good for the the A League. Beauchamp isn't in the stands for nothing. It truly would be an insult if Neill was to make it to Brazil, and Spiranovic didn't. If Spiranovic makes the WC squad then he'll be back on the radar of the Eureopean clubs and is bound to play in a top league after Brazil.

For now, let's enjoy Matthew being around. It'll be good to have him on the pitch this coming Saturday in Melbourne, and beyond.

You should post this in the thread for all those (majority of posts) who were saying opposite to this.

Enjoy Spira while he is with us people.

Spiranovic had a good game last night but let's not overdo it.. He was on the bench for a Middle Eastern club, and didn't do much in Europe or Japan either. Let's hope that Popa can teach him a thing or two this season and he goes onto better things overseas in the next few years.

He seems to be enjoying his time here.

We have to remember we got him without a transfer fee, so it will be hard to hang onto him. It's in everyone's best interest that he keeps performing. He gets a ticket to brasil, and maybe an overseas club. We get solid performances week in week out by a player who is great to watch and does his job well.

Spiranovic had a good game last night but let's not overdo it.. He was on the bench for a Middle Eastern club, and didn't do much in Europe or Japan either. Let's hope that Popa can teach him a thing or two this season and he goes onto better things overseas in the next few years.

Mate your one of the ones who couldn't swallow the fact that Spira is better than Beuchamp.

All your comments about him were wrong. He drew praise everywhere he played and when he played almost moving to the English Premier League.

Personally, I'd rather have Spira teach Beauchamp and NTS lessons on passing and composure on the ball.

I remember last night, he turned three or four times while being pressed by two CCM guys, before passing back to Covic. A lesser defender would've panicked and hoofed it long, or out.

Mate your one of the ones who couldn't swallow the fact that Spira is better than Beuchamp.All your comments about him were wrong. He drew praise everywhere he played and when he played almost moving to the English Premier League.

I don't understand what you mean by I couldn't swallow it. I made one or two comments that he didn't have a great game against Brisbane, and that Beauchamp is better at playing a higher line and putting more pressure on opposing attackers which suited us well thus far. I speak without bias because I'm not a fanboy of either player. I know that Spiranovic has different qualities.

The problem is that once a player gets a fan club around here any kind of constructive criticism gets shouted down. Spiranovic has talent but he hasn't shown it YET on the big stage. I would say that is a pretty accurate statement. I hope he goes a long way but let's get a bit of realism in here. Archie Thompson looks good in the a-league too, but he never did much overseas.

Mate your one of the ones who couldn't swallow the fact that Spira is better than Beuchamp.All your comments about him were wrong. He drew praise everywhere he played and when he played almost moving to the English Premier League.
I don't understand what you mean by I couldn't swallow it. I made one or two comments that he didn't have a great game against Brisbane, and that Beauchamp is better at playing a higher line and putting more pressure on opposing attackers which suited us well thus far. I speak without bias because I'm not a fanboy of either player. I know that Spiranovic has different qualities.

The problem is that once a player gets a fan club around here any kind of constructive criticism gets shouted down. Spiranovic has talent but he hasn't shown it YET on the big stage. I would say that is a pretty accurate statement. I hope he goes a long way but let's get a bit of realism in here. Archie Thompson looks good in the a-league too, but he never did much overseas.

The reality of this is that Spira is one of the best players in the A League and you continue to fail to see this. So in regards to the fan club quote..realise Spira is LEVELS above Beauchamp and the majority of the other players in the A League.

There is an incentive for MS to stay on with WSW until at least the WC - that is getting opportunity for at least six ACL games, which would well and truly put him back in to contention for Soceroos and most likely inclusion in squad for Brasil 2014

After that, then if his fitness is maintained and form consistent, then I agree he'd be more likely to move on, and probably back to J-League or Europe (Holland, Germany, Belgium or Switzerland)

His performance last night was outstanding and not just that incredible goal bound clearance

His save last night was beastly. 

Yeah, he read the play so well, and knew that shot was coming and ran to block it.

I do think we need to get a game with Beauchamp and Spira though, with the ACL coming up, they need to have a game together.

But not sure if the back line will change against victory, most likely against Wellington on NYD.

I don't understand what you mean by I couldn't swallow it. I made one or two comments that he didn't have a great game against Brisbane, and that Beauchamp is better at playing a higher line and putting more pressure on opposing attackers which suited us well thus far. I speak without bias because I'm not a fanboy of either player. I know that Spiranovic has different qualities.The problem is that once a player gets a fan club around here any kind of constructive criticism gets shouted down. Spiranovic has talent but he hasn't shown it YET on the big stage. I would say that is a pretty accurate statement. I hope he goes a long way but let's get a bit of realism in here. Archie Thompson looks good in the a-league too, but he never did much overseas.
The reality of this is that Spira is one of the best players in the A League and you continue to fail to see this. So in regards to the fan club quote..realise Spira is LEVELS above Beauchamp and the majority of the other players in the A League.

I see the reality. Spiranovic is a talent who is getting better week by week. Still a long way to go in the season though, and still a hard slog for Spira to try to break into a major league overseas. If he is good enough he can make J-league or maybe Swiss/Russian level type league. He won't be playing EPL or Bundesliga though.

• 2 weeks later...