Matthew Spiranovic

mack

Dammit.. Looks like he'll miss preseason and the first 3 weeks of the season

Not only that, it will be at least 6 weeks after the injury is good that he will also regain full match fitness

So just in time for the Asian cup then.

So farking sad for the Wanderers. How on earth could this happen?! :(

How did Spira get injured?!

Training?

Would it be taboo if we're thinking about getting Megsy back for a short stint?

It wouldn't surprise me if the club thought about that as an injury replacement. I'm 99.99% certain that Beauchamp was released because of salary cap room.

Think this night be a blessing in disguise for us, not for our 2014 acl chances but the best thing for spira this year (if we are keeping him till the end of the year at least)

Think of it as this, Spira has played pretty much all year round, started for us, played the acl matches as well as aleague played through the aleague final series, played the acl round of 16 matches, then training camp for Australia and then the WC. Couple of weeks off and then straight into pre season again before his ankle was giving him too much grief again.....

Even though he'll be off the pace when he comes back after three months out, it should give him the time to rest up for the season ahead, aleague/acl campaign combined with his Asia cup duties too!!

Is probably also the reason why he was out after he came back from the Australia v Columbia game. Came back with an ankle problem that didn't require surgery yet, had a couple weeks off to see if it would get any better but when it didn't, it seemed like he would just have to play through the pain until it was clear what was causing the problem so he could have surgery.

He will be a big miss for those acl games, wonder whether we can bring in an injury replacement!

Signing Hamill's makes a heck of a lot more sense now. So does Spira staying. He would have found it difficult finding a new overseas employer with a bung ankle.

Had he gone in to do a medical at any club, they probably would have avoided him like the plague!! Signing the two year deal makes even more sense now and a good call FCB!!

Edit: I guess it's only three months but had it gone through it would have had to be someone like Wenger who is the only manager I know willing to sign an injured player that can't actually play for 2-3 months!

http://m.footballaustralia.com.au/western-sydney-wanderers-fc-news-display/Spiranovic-to-undergo-surgery/91339/507

The NRMA Insurance Western Sydney Wanderers will be without defender Matthew Spiranovic for up to 10 weeks due to an ankle injury.

Spiranovic will go into surgery on Monday and will miss the majority of the Wanderers pre-season including its crucial AFC Champions League Quarter Final matches.

At least 2.5 months is better than 3!!

We signed him late September last year, and it took him a couple of months to come up to speed. In others word it is a similar situation to previous season. If anything there is more control over this process. And let's remind ourselves that we won't win or lose any titles in October. Had he been fit he might have missed the first two or three league matches because of NT duties anyway. So, overall, no big drama. As long as Hamill works out we'll be okay.

In case the healing process needs speeding up: I know a Chinese doctor who is good with the needle trick.

Edited by FCB

http://www.fourfourtwo.com/au/news/spiranovic-surgery-success#BzckFm64oQuzEAim.01

Spiranovic surgery a success

2 hours ago

TOPICS

TONY POPOVIC, MATTHEW ŠPIRANOVIĆ, AUSTRALIA, A-LEAGUE

SHARES

Share1

Tweet8

comments

Surgery on Australia international Matthew Spiranovic's injured ankle has been labelled a success by his club coach.

Spiranovic started all three of Australia's matches at the World Cup and returned to Western Sydney Wanderers "very eager" for his second season with the A-League club.

But a week ago, the Wanderers identified a problem with one of the central defender's ankles and decided surgery was necessary, sidelining Spiranovic for 10 weeks.

In more positive news on Tuesday, however, Western Sydney coach Tony Popovic claimed the 26-year-old will return "bigger and better".

"He (Spiranovic) had his operation yesterday and it's all gone very well," Popovic told footballaustralia.com.au on Tuesday.

"Now it's the recovery phase for him. I'm sure he'll be back bigger and better once he heals from the injury.

"He had a fantastic World Cup. He came back very eager and keen to get back with the Wanderers in training with all the big games we've got coming up.

"Unfortunately these things happen in football. (Surgery) was necessary, it needed to be done but we will all benefit from the outcome once he gets over this injury."

Spiranovic will miss the Wanderers' upcoming AFC Champions League quarter-final versus Guangzhou Evergrande next month, while he may find it difficult to be fully fit for Western Sydney's first match of the new A-League season on October 10.

haha, I've never heard any athlete in any sport come out and say that the surgery was a complete failure and the surgeon completely screwed it up

it does happen

haha, I've never heard any athlete in any sport come out and say that the surgery was a complete failure and the surgeon completely screwed it up

Daniel Bryan :( (sorta, he just had to go for extra surgery because the first one didn't work or something like that)

Edited by Unlimited

The key sentences are:

• "I look forward to spending another year under Popa."
  • He said he expected to back on the pitch in some capacity for the start of the A-League season in October.

All good.

The key sentences are:

• He said he expected to back on the pitch in some capacity for the start of the A-League season in October.

All good.

"He knows how to make it, in Europe..."

Not looking at cashing in on the Middle East or Russia, by the sound of it.

The key sentences are:

All good.
100%, we have him for another year AT LEAST but the sign of him on crutches didn't look the best today!
  • 3 weeks later...