Matthew Spiranovic

mack

Went on to the socceroos store see how much it would be to buy a spira socceroos jersey,

For personalisation for the jersey your only allowed 9 characters, that gives you 'Spiranovi',

Seriously FFA get your shite together, anyone else know where to get a proper spiranovic name on my jersey?

And what number does he wear for Australia or when will the WC squad numbers be announced? When then the 23 man squad is finalised?

If Spira isn't the in the final 23 then Ange has rocks in his head

Fantastic news.

Prefer him as holding midfield and hope he is used there with NTS & Beauchamp at the back frankly.

Also have no problem with him moving on for better opportunities in the future if it means a decent amount of transfer coin.

Quite a step up in professionalism if that's what eventuates.

....... now if only we could arrange oh I dunno, full time referees.

Went on to the socceroos store see how much it would be to buy a spira socceroos jersey,

For personalisation for the jersey your only allowed 9 characters, that gives you 'Spiranovi',

Seriously FFA get your shite together, anyone else know where to get a proper spiranovic name on my jersey?

And what number does he wear for Australia or when will the WC squad numbers be announced? When then the 23 man squad is finalised?

If Spira isn't the in the final 23 then Ange has rocks in his head

I was about to post the same thing, what a joke!

Surely he will be picked as starting CB its not like we are in over our head with talent in that position.

I am the only one who is a bit uncomfortable with the way Spira is blatantly using us as a stepping stone/fall back option should he not get a euro/Asian deal he likes? I mean, I know it's not uncommon, and the A-League is just that, but geeze mate don't make it so obvious

Nope.  We have to accept the A-League and always will be a stepping stone for our most promising players.  That they whore themselves effectively to get a better gig is just the way it is.  We want our best players to be playing at the highest level possible and they want to maximize their earnings in what is a very short career.  To have them play for us for any period of time is a bonus.

I'm quite against the approach MV took with Milligan.  They may well have stuffed his career and he may never get another chance in European football.

Keep in mind this is the A-League and a contract extension means nothing other than now we can get a fee for him if he decided to go.

Well said to those above!!

Yes it's great that he has signed on for two years but in football as in all things we know that nothing is certain. Yes he will play for us as long as possible and have his heart in it but when push comes to shove with European clubs calling for his signature. I would be surprised to see him go and I wouldn't be surprised if there was a hefty fee (as mentioned previously) for his signature!

• 3 weeks later...

Matthew Spiranovic was twice on the radar of Liverpool boss Brendan Rodgers but put playing first

MATTHEW Spiranovic left Australian shores age 18 and his immense talent saw him burst into Bundesliga club Nurnberg’s first team.

So how ironic that it’s not until eight years on when he returned to Australia that’s coincided with him becoming a bona fide Socceroo.

Exactly two years ago Spiranovic had one of those fork in the road moments.

Brendan Rodgers made two plays for Spiranovic — the first in May 2012 for a one-year loan deal at Swansea, then months later at his new club Liverpool.

By that stage Spiranovic thought Rodgers’ move had scuppered any chance of a union.

But by the time contact was made the second time, he’d signed for Qatari club Al-Arabi.

“He watched the Wales game in the stands and made an offer to my Japanese club, it was done and dusted. Then the deal stalled.

“I thought Liverpool was no chance, but after a few weeks I got a call.

“But I didn’t want to go somewhere where I was third or fourth choice centre back, I wanted to play regularly. Plus I’d committed to Qatar.

“I knew if I went to Liverpool I’d eventually get an opportunity, but who knows if that would come in a Cup game, two, three or four months down the track.’’

Spiranovic got to sample many things early — a friendly for Melbourne Victory age 16, Nurnberg debut age 18, Socceroos debut age 20.

But it’s taken Spiranovic six years to reach 18 Socceroos caps, reflecting his roller-coaster club career.

“It’s been a great journey for me. Four years in Germany, one of the best leagues in the world, training each day with internationals, winning a German Cup final in my first year and playing UEFA Cup,’’ he said.

“Japan was a great cultural and football experience.

“Qatar was the same, at the time it ticked a few boxes for me, it was regular football which I needed.

“Financially it was a great move. But people don’t understand the quality that’s over there, each week I was being tested against top quality attackers like (Djibril) Cisse, Raul or young South American talent.

“Each week I felt like I was being tested. I missed the (June) qualifiers with an injury, but the media misinterpreted that with being out of favour.’’

But Spiranovic knew his next move was crucial and a fortnight training with Western Sydney convinced him that Tony Popovic’s Wanderland was the right place for him.

“One of the first chats I had to Popa he said ‘I can’t guarantee you how much match-time you’ll have, but I will guarantee you is you’ll become a better footballer here,’’ Spiranovic said.

“He’s got a lot of great qualities, he’s picked up from the coaches he’s had along the way and would’ve learnt a lot from someone like Guus Hiddink.

“He’s got huge talent and his ability to get the best out of players and to create a champion team in his first year speaks wonders of his talent.’’

While he was used carefully during the regular season, Spiranovic appeared tougher and fitter by the end of the season.

The proof came on May 7 _ three days after the grand final loss to Brisbane — when he was the only outfield player to back up for the Asian Champions League match away to Sanfrecce Hiroshima.

While he just penned a new two-year extension at the Wanderers, he said the Euro fire still burns.

“Definitely, I’m only 26, for a defender that’s young, I’m not in my prime yet,’’ he said.

“I’m happy where I am, with the World Cup now and Asian Cup coming up.

“I’m in the best hands at the Wanderers and we’ll see what the future holds.’’

“As a player he’d been there and done it all.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/football/socceroos/matthew-spiranovic-was-twice-on-the-radar-of-liverpool-boss-brendan-rodgers-but-put-playing-first/story-e6frf4l3-1226948386323

Spira will hang around until the Asian Cup and then it'll be off to Europe/UK.

How cool would it be to see him playing (regularly) for Liverpool.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't think he has a clause slapped on his contract given we don't have transfer fees between clubs in the A-League. We're in a position to take what we are offered, and discuss with the player how keen they are to move overseas. 

Unfortunately, dmixtaaa, even Spira has a pricetag that WSW are willing to let him go. The coaching panel has done a brilliant job in recruiting him for next to nothing, taking us to a top 2 finish in the A-League and deep ACL run on the back of his presence, to now leading the country at CB. I want him to stay and lead us to ACL glory, but the guy deserves to make the most of his limited career. $2M would be a good offer for Spira considering Milligan is expected to go for a tick over $1M. 

I don't think he has a clause slapped on his contract given we don't have transfer fees between clubs in the A-League. We're in a position to take what we are offered, and discuss with the player how keen they are to move overseas. 

Unfortunately, dmixtaaa, even Spira has a pricetag that WSW are willing to let him go. The coaching panel has done a brilliant job in recruiting him for next to nothing, taking us to a top 2 finish in the A-League and deep ACL run on the back of his presence, to now leading the country at CB. I want him to stay and lead us to ACL glory, but the guy deserves to make the most of his limited career. $2M would be a good offer for Spira considering Milligan is expected to go for a tick over $1M. 

I totally agree, 2x X Milligan < 1 Spira   :woah:

I'd be surprised if he didn't have a buy out clause in his contract. The player doesn't care what the transfer fee is, only their wage and the career move they're making. If a big club offered him big wages and a step up in league then they could make WSW a low offer and Spira might try to push the transfer through or refuse to extend his contract and leave for free at the end.

Spira was never expected to last more than a year at WSW anyway. IMO he's staying at WSW so he can cement his Roos spot and guarantee game time until the Asian Cup, and then Europe beckons. We could even see him transfer during the Asian Cup (January transfer window).

The fact that we will be able to earn a transfer fee for him is an added bonus. I believe $1M-1.5M is realistic (would obviously love it to be more).

I'd be surprised if he didn't have a buy out clause in his contract. The player doesn't care what the transfer fee is, only their wage and the career move they're making. If a big club offered him big wages and a step up in league then they could make WSW a low offer and Spira might try to push the transfer through or refuse to extend his contract and leave for free at the end.

He just signed a new two year contract. He'll have agreed to a specific release clause. If he doesn't feel that release clause equals his value he shouldn't have signed the contract lol. Anyone who wants to play games after signing a contract can go rot in the youth league and sit on the bench and get maybe 30 minutes every few weeks even while flying to the likes of Adelaide & Perth with the NYL squad. See how much his value is after 2 years riding the pine. (Not saying this will happen, just a hypothetical).

Not all football players have release clauses, and for an A-League player, it is even less likely they have one. It may be the case that Spira does have one, but he doesn't decide it. 

How many A-League players actually have release clauses that are known? 

Not all football players have release clauses, and for an A-League player, it is even less likely they have one. It may be the case that Spira does have one, but he doesn't decide it.

How many A-League players actually have release clauses that are known?

Spira wants a move. We all know the A-League was a Pitt stop for him. I reckon it's nailed on he has a clause. It's nothing to do with transfers between A-League clubs. Clauses are for those with ambitions to go O/S Edited by Dalison

Yeah it's a complete hypothetical and I can't see it happening that way but that's the point of the buy out clause. It protects the club from those situations.

If he isn't already I wouldn't be surprised if Spira takes the Australian marquee spot so if he wants to play silly buggers the club has the option of dropping him but it's a bit of a lose - lose situation. The player is unhappy because he's in the NYL and didn't get the transfer he wanted due to a low offer and the club isn't getting any value out of one of their highest paid players.

By having the clause they can tell prospective buyers that he'll cost $X and if they don't reach that then the player knows that WSW was offered less than the value he agreed on when he signed.

Spira wants a move. We all know the A-League was a Pitt stop for him. I reckon it's nailed on he has a clause. It's nothing to do with transfers between A-League clubs. Clauses are for those with ambitions to go O/S

I would've thought if he had a release clause that it'd be mentioned in any of the many articles detailing his recent contract extension. That's not to say he doesn't, but there's been no hint at him having one on any of those articles. 

It was suggested in the article on this forum that he has a "7 figure release clause", but no one has backed this up yet. I'll be more than happy too see something. 

Spira wants a move. We all know the A-League was a Pitt stop for him. I reckon it's nailed on he has a clause. It's nothing to do with transfers between A-League clubs. Clauses are for those with ambitions to go O/S

I would've thought if he had a release clause that it'd be mentioned in any of the many articles detailing his recent contract extension. That's not to say he doesn't, but there's been no hint at him having one.

It was hinted in the article on this forum that he has a "7 figure release clause", but no one has backed this up yet. I'll be more than happy too see something.

I wouldn't have thought it needed mentioning in reports of the contract being re-signed, and it's really not up to the club to confirm it, and Spira's agent really only needs yo make sure potential suitors are aware of it, if it's there.

I'd be surprised if a bloke who wants to go overseas has signed a multi-year deal without a buy out clause.

Edited by Dalison

I wouldn't have thought it needed mentioning in reports of the contract being re-signed, and it's really not up to the club to confirm it, and Spira's agent really only needs yo make sure potential suitors are aware of it, if it's there.

A release clause is generally public knowledge, because another suitor has to ascertain how much money it needs to activate the clause in which the player's club is then obligated to inform the player and his agent of the offer.

IF Spira has a release clause of $1.5M and someone offered $1.1M, WSW is not obligated to inform Spira or his agent. This is all hypothetical, because there's still no substantiated article mentioning his release clause. 

A release clause doesn't need to be 'public' knowledge, or announced when a deal is done, but you a right it is hypothetical.

Then how does a suitor know how much capital it needs as a minimum?