The March - Important details

Good stuff Bucca, I can't do march organising this season due to other commitments but I'm happy to assist in any possible way.

A good result which gets us back onto church street, even for a short distance.

Me, me! I'll do it if I can get an orange vest! :-)

Bruce after the trouble you caused at the Penrith game with the coppers following you we will be using you as a decoy :ninja: :ninja: :ninja:

Ok Ladies &Gents, so today we met with Robert Redfern (Parramatta LAC), Parramatta City Council, Transport NSW and Shaun Mielekamp (WSW) to discuss the new march route to leave from The Roxy Hotel. Here is a summary of what was said at the meeting;

·  George St walking towards Marsden St, then going up Marsden St towards Victoria Rd was the route initially discussed. This was rejected due to issues concerning traffic on George St, being the main West to East route in the heart of Parramatta, and the fact that it also has a bus route.

· The only way that George St march would be approved, would be the closure or partial closure of the street. To do this, It is required that water filled barriers are set up every match day to divide the road. Installing then dismantling these, as well as setting up the event clearways would come at a significant cost, which nobody was willing to bear. This would mean that the only option to use George St, would be to ensure everyone remained on the footpath, which we could not guarantee.

·  Alternative route was proposed, this being from the Roxy, straight across George St continuing onto Horwood Place, then left onto Phillip St. Continuing past the intersection of Church St, and turning right onto Marsden St and continuing the normal route onto Marsden St bridge, which will be closed to us as it was at the home semi final

· March on Phillip St to continue along the footpath

·  Horwood Place (side street adjacent to the Roxy, where the carpark is) to be used as the meeting / rendezvous point for fans not entering the Roxy to commence the march.

· Police to facilitate the crossing of the march across George St intersection and Church St intersection as per previous marches.

· Marshalls to be briefed on matchday and assist in crowd control and guidance during the march, to reduce the police presence.

· Notice of Intention (Schedule 1 form) to be submitted prior to any march going ahead. This cannot be in the name of the RBB Inc, but in the name of an individual. This is required by law, to give police 7 days notice of an intention to hold a public procession. If no form is submitted and a march takes place, anyone marching / walking can be arrested for offences relating to obstructing traffic or other pedestrians, and other related offences

· Church St march is NOT an option at this stage, or the near future. Future complete road closures for finals / big games to be discussed closer to the relevant dates.

·  One location proposed for families who wish to join onto the back of the march. This is proposed as Dixon Park, on Marsden St, adjacent to Parramatta River, opposite Phillip St. This is for families who wish to participate in the march but who will not be attending any licenced venue.

· Shaun Mielekamp offered assistance by way of advertising the proposed start point and route of the march on their website / social media, to assist in informing people who are not necessarily linked with the RBB.

So in summary, talks were positive, and everyone is supportive of the march including police and council, as long as it is an incident free march. The march for the home semi final vs Brisbane Roar was mentioned as a perfect example as one that was conducted without any issues.

I think the march proceeding down Phillip St, passing Church St intersection and then up Marsden st, is the best option. Marching on Phillip St, will also mean that police presence will be relaxed, as it is not a high risk road that would require excessive traffic management.

To conclude, we have nutted out the best possible result for the route and march. We just need to ensure that we can self police any rogue fans who may decide to step out of line or do anything stupid on the march. This is primarily due to the fact that, whoever will put their name to this Notice of Intention form, will be personally liable for any incidents that may arise on the march. This means they could be sued and possibly front a supreme court.  Not to mention the fact that we could lose the march altogether.

Your thoughts and input is appreciated.

So very appreciative again of your time, and everyone involved with nutting this out. Any march is great, and im sure the overwhelming majority of people would join with me in thanking you. ..feel like singing me favorite ABBA Wanderers song...'Can You Hear The Drums Shinji Ono...

I appreciate the efforts of all involved. I was curious about something.

If the parties involved in the decision making process are concerned about safety and traffic, then did they consider the following?

This route passes and utilises the busiest street in Parramatta, that being Phillip Street.

Contrary to what people may think, Church Street is not the busiest nor the most important Street in Parramatta.

There's more quality traffic (people that will actually patron the local businesses) that uses Phillip Street than Church Street, as the entrances to all three major carparks in Parramatta are accessed via Phillip Street, those being Erby Place (accessed via Horwood and Phillip), behind the GE building (accessed via Phillip) and behind the one behind the Bavarian Bier Cafe (accessed via Phillip).

Although I'm looking forward to the march and will enjoy it, this route makes no sense in regards to the safety of those marching or to the traffic conditions of Parramatta.

the thing is now we march from roxy hotel and having lots of ppl walk up george st against traffic is much more dangerous and expensive due to resources needed to monitor the march.

the thing is now we march from roxy hotel and having lots of ppl walk up george st against traffic is much more dangerous and expensive due to resources needed to monitor the march.

It's safer to travel 200m, without crossing a road, up to the lights at Church Street and walk down Church Street and it's much less of an effect on local traffic as it doesn't cross or close any of the access to any of the car parks at any time during the march.

Church Street should be closed for 20 minutes while we march down the actual street and not the footpath. You'll only inconvenience the douches that do happy laps anyway as there is no access to carparks directly via church street, nor is it required to access church street in order to get in or out of Parramatta.

Yes many of us agree with you and the guys who are organizing the march have argued the case to the police right from the start. More than anything the police would be worried about the traffic of people walking along the footpath in front of the bars, cafes and restaurants of Church St. They are desperate to avoid the same situation that arose last year with that one "fan". This is what we are getting.

It's safer to travel 200m, without crossing a road, up to the lights at Church Street and walk down Church Street and it's much less of an effect on local traffic as it doesn't cross or close any of the access to any of the car parks at any time during the march.

Church Street should be closed for 20 minutes while we march down the actual street and not the footpath. You'll only inconvenience the douches that do happy laps anyway as there is no access to carparks directly via church street, nor is it required to access church street in order to get in or out of Parramatta.

agree with you but unfortunately due to the acts of 1 stupid person at the derby last season the chances of us getting back church st are next to impossible for the near future. Hopefully come first home match the march will go ahead fine without any incident we just all need to make sure to follow the capos instructions.

Big Dukes will keep us all informed as the time arrives for the march gets closer. Last season marches were about an hour before kickoff i believe but we may leave earlier due to the larger crowd etc. Just keep an eye out on this page and updates will be posted as the matches get closer.

I think Big Dukes and the all the crew have done the best they can to please all parties in getting the march ahead between cops/club/council/businesses/transport etc. If you read the first opening post on this thread he pretty sums up what was the best outcome arranged. Someone always has to be reliable unfortunately, so we all need to make sure if we see someone acting up and not listening to marshalls them we must put them in line or potentially we may end up having no march at all. 

If it's not too much to ask, can somebody please outline the planned route of the march on this map...?

Thanks!

map_zps09ba9aad.jpg

Awesome!! Thank you!! :D

What do the blue dots indicate btw?

The blue dots indicate the places I will consume a beer on the way to the Roxy.

Apart from that, it illustrates the path that those who are at the Woolie will take to get to the Roxy for the march...

Guys just want to clarify some things

On the Friday night which was 8 days before we played Brisbane last year myself dukes and a few others sat with the super intendant Robert Redfern

His exact words were " church was closed off approved and ready for you to march down it " he then said but what happened at ribs and rumps stuffed it up for everyone.

Not only that a flare was kicked into oportos by some d***

We were trying that night to keep the march let alone get church street

So we took what we got pending circumstances

Now I know church st closed off is ideal but try and think that it's long gone and just a memory and be thankfull we still have a march YES we still have one because they were thinking of canning it after the ESFC game

Robert,Phillip street might be more busy but what it doesn't have which mostly all other routes do is buses going through there.

End of the day public transport can't be tampered with every fortnight

So if we behave then maybe we can renegotiate future marches but it all starts next week

This isn't intended to offend people this is my personnel view of the situation

Edited by JayArgosy

Just to clarify, during the derby march I was in oportos ordering some food at that time. Let me tell you that no flare was kicked into oportos. Somebody let off a smokie in the street and the smoke drifted into the restaurant. The place was full of smoke and definately looked like it had been hit, but it was infact not the case - lucky no people with asthma were inside because they would have been farked.

robert - man i totally agree with your sentiments and tbh i raised those questions as well

but the reason police chose phillip street as cause george street is the only east to west street in parra, and they are of the belief that phillip street is not as busy as george and church

How are we to argue with the police? In the possible event that this does not work for eg, then i guess i can use the famous line of 'i told u so'

but until then we must try and adhere to what at this point in time is the perceived more sensible and safe route

Glad there is a march. Thanks to BigDukes and everyone else that have been involved in getting the march up & running. Your efforts are greatly appreciated by everyone here.

A march on church street is a spectator fare, where diners sit and watch the march go by. I think by crossing the Phillip St/Church St junction, it could be a big tease to the diners, and could possibly pull curious onlookers (if they don't already know about it) into the march.

I'm happy with the route we have, and looking forward to it. :good:

Just to clarify, during the derby march I was in oportos ordering some food at that time. Let me tell you that no flare was kicked into oportos. Somebody let off a smokie in the street and the smoke drifted into the restaurant. The place was full of smoke and definately looked like it had been hit, but it was infact not the case - lucky no people with asthma were inside because they would have been farked.

I must have been a person or two behind you in the cue. I was inside about to order and I do have asthma. Wasn't my favourite oporto meal I've had but at least it had cleared in a couple of minutes. Definitely wasn't a flare. Like you said, just a smokie someone had let off outside kicked in so (luckily) Oporto didn't quite get the full treatment but it was still pretty bad

And good stuff Dukes, think this is the best outcome we could have hoped for. The work you do is absolutely appreciated by us all

Edited by Stevo99

Sorry to ask again, but I still don't understand why the route from woolpack doesn't go straight up marsden st and wait at Phillip for the roxy group.

Edited by JamCal